MME Owners, how much does (tire) size matter?

Cocheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E36 M3
Country flag
I had a chance to take an MME Premium AWD on a long test drive last week. There were some open curves where I could push the car to see how fast it would take. I loved the car, but to be honest the handling didn't feel too good. Like I could feel the tires starting to lose grip a lot earlier than I would like. I normally drive the speed limit, but sometimes you have an open road and you want to push it, especially with this kind of car.

I know the GT is expected to have 245s. And it comes in Grabber Blue, which is beautiful. But it's also gonna cost more. I'm trying to decide whether the GT is worth it. I'd be hesitant to buy a Premium model and change out the wheels/tires because I don't want to throw off the car's readings.

For those of you that like to drive a little faster, what are your thoughts on this?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I had a chance to take an MME Premium AWD on a long test drive last week. There were some open curves where I could push the car to see how fast it would take. I loved the car, but to be honest the handling didn't feel too good. Like I could feel the tires starting to lose grip a lot earlier than I would like. I normally drive the speed limit, but sometimes you have an open road and you want to push it, especially with this kind of car.

I know the GT is expected to have 245s. And it comes in Grabber Blue, which is beautiful. But it's also gonna cost more. I'm trying to decide whether the GT is worth it. I'd be hesitant to buy a Premium model and change out the wheels/tires because I don't want to throw off the car's readings.

For those of you that like to drive a little faster, what are your thoughts on this?
I think you will enjoy the GT.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Agreed, I think the MagneRide will make a big difference. Just wish it could have been on all Mach-Es as an option.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

There is absolutely not enough grip on the Premiums. I've had the rear end break loose making left turns in city traffic.

I'm "stuck" with my Premium, so I'm probably going to be going down the aftermarket wheel and tire route - and I *HATE* aftermarket mods on cars.

Even going to a summer tire at the narrow 225 width is probably still not gonna do it for me. I'm thinking I need a wider tire than the OE wheel can support, and unfortunately there is no wider OEM wheel for our cars. They didn't use the gas Mustang's bolt pattern, so the very excellent OEM Mustang wheels from that won't bolt up. :(

I've never aftermarket modded a car before, so I'm sure I'm just headed for more frustration and lighting more money on fire to make this car drive better, spoiling the looks in the process.

*sigh*

Yeah, if you want sporty grip, Premium ain't it, despite the Mustang logo on the car. :(

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Have you asked your dealer (or any dealer) how much they would give you for it? That coupled with the tax credit might be enough to break even. That seems to be the case for this poster:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ay-mach-e-chicago-area-northern-suburbs.4537/
Well unfortunately there's nothing else that really strikes my fancy right now in the EV space that is obtainable, hence the quotes. I mean I could sell it, but there's nothing to buy unless I make the 400 mile trek (lol) to Manhattan to test out a Polestar 2, or see how many organs I can sell to bring a Taycan within reach.

I mean I could give up any performance ambition whatsoever and go VW ID.4 I guess. But that's such a blob.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Honestly it's the look. I really don't like the look of aftermarket. That "OEM look" is valuable to me.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Ive mentioned this before but the bolt pattern is the same as the Focus RS so the Ford Performance Focus RS wheel will fit as well as the specially made Neuspeed RSe102 for the Focus RS. They are both 19x8.5

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Honestly I kind of enjoy the back of the car swinging a bit on a tight curve at high speeds. I don't feel that I don't have traction or and semblance of loss of control. The car seems to throw power to other wheels to correct if there is any loss of traction.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Agreed. The tires are at least 10mm too narrow. In a straight line, they're fine and I thought the tires/suspension combination soaked up the crappy Seattle pavement just fine. But going around a sweeping turn at speed did not inspire as much confidence as I would have liked. I think the GT will solve that for me.

@SteelMach, I'm with you on the look of the OEM wheels. I think the 19" Premium wheels are gorgeous. It's just a bummer they're so narrow.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
With the (regular) Mustangs, Ford skimps on the tires as well. The Mustang GT comes with 235/50 Pirelli all-seasons as standard. And it's not even Pirelli's best all-season, the P Zero Nero that Ford uses is a 10-year-old design. 235/50 touring tires don't do the Mustang GT justice. IMHO the Mustang GT should at least come with something like 245/45 Michelin A/S 3+ or A/S 4 as a base tire.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Everyone is talking about putting different dimension tires on the vehicle but I’ve always wondered how the vehicle software would be impacted? Since so much of the vehicle is software based, isn’t the vehicle “expecting” a certain performance from the tires put on at the factory? Won’t things like braking, steering, and handling be thrown off if you put different sized tires on?

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I don't have mine yet, but with the wheels on the Premium, can you go much wider for a tire than what comes stock???
Sponsored