bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Still debating about MME or model Y, I prefer the the look and interior of MME for sure, but the range and supercharger are also very attractive. Couple questions:

1, What kind of roof standard on MME select? I thought all MME come with glass top, however I realize select come with black painted roof if add comfort/appearance package. If I go with the comfort/tech package, what kind of roof come with then? The reason I consider select is it still qualify the 3k rebate in BC.

2, Once upgrade to premium with AWD and extend range, the price is more than model Y in Canada, seems less attractive consider all the other factors, i.e. availability, charging network, range, software, autopilot etc. Why should I chose MME over model Y? Especially in Canada we probably have to wait till early 2021 for delivery.

Thanks.
Sponsored

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
2, Once upgrade to premium with AWD and extend range, the price is more than model Y in Canada, seems less attractive consider all the other factors, i.e. availability, charging network, range, software, autopilot etc. Why should I chose MME over model Y? Especially in Canada we probably have to wait till early 2021 for delivery.
Good question. For me, the tax credit in this country makes the MME very attractive.

I’ve heard too many bad things about build quality for the Model Y...they could be excused for that for the model S being a new company then, but I really worry that they haven’t figured out this stuff by the model Y. Ford has a proven manufacturing track record.

The MME has a larger battery capacity...it makes me wonder if the real world range will be better than the Tesla though this is really all speculation as I expect the Tesla will be more efficient due to their experience in this market. Although this isn’t Ford’s first EV so we’ll see.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
About the charging network, there’s another thread here...I think the one about Electrify America...where someone mapped out an Austin to Colorado Springs route, assuming both MME and Tesla. The result showed lower cost for road trips on the Tesla, though I, not sure what asssumptions that made...but I think Tesla is not profiting much from their supercharger stations, whereas I believe Electify America is. But I haven’t looked at those numbers myself. Point is though, even when the charging network improves, I suspect the Tesla network will be lower cost as they use the network to sell cars, not depending on profiting from the network itself like other companies.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Still debating about MME or model Y, I prefer the the look and interior of MME for sure, but the range and supercharger are also very attractive. Couple questions:

1, What kind of roof standard on MME select? I thought all MME come with glass top, however I realize select come with black painted roof if add comfort/appearance package. If I go with the comfort/tech package, what kind of roof come with then? The reason I consider select is it still qualify the 3k rebate in BC.

Thanks.
1 - the STANDARD roof on the Select is body colored metal instead of glass (but still with the black trim around it). if you get the appearance package ($2300) you get the black painted roof (along with different wheels and the handsfree prep package).
2 - personal choice that no one can answer for you. There are several threads espousing either viewpoint, and it is fruitless to reproduce the discussion here.

OP
OP

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
About the charging network, there’s another thread here...I think the one about Electrify America...where someone mapped out an Austin to Colorado Springs route, assuming both MME and Tesla. The result showed lower cost for road trips on the Tesla, though I, not sure what asssumptions that made...but I think Tesla is not profiting much from their supercharger stations, whereas I believe Electify America is. But I haven’t looked at those numbers myself. Point is though, even when the charging network improves, I suspect the Tesla network will be lower cost as they use the network to sell cars, not depending on profiting from the network itself like other companies.
Tesla can use both supercharge and other charging facilities, but not the other way around. I drove one couple days ago, handles very well, and roomy, of course fit and finish becomes the character of Tesla.

OP
OP

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
1 - the STANDARD roof on the Select is body colored metal instead of glass (but still with the black trim around it). if you get the appearance package ($2300) you get the black painted roof (along with different wheels and the handsfree prep package).
2 - personal choice that no one can answer for you. There are several threads espousing either viewpoint, and it is fruitless to reproduce the discussion here.
Thanks a lot, I guess the select has no sunroof at all?

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Here was a post with some of the feature differences. The Mach E has a heated steering wheel btw (optional in the Select, but Canada may have different trims).

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/tesla-drops-prices-will-ford.791/post-23136

US order guide.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2021-mach-e-mustang-order-guide.877/

I should point out there is no rear heated seat feature. However, Ford ought to come up with a dealer installable kit for that. Hope they are checking these comments.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Here was a post with some of the feature differences. The Mach E has a heated steering wheel btw (optional in the Select, but Canada may have different trims).

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/tesla-drops-prices-will-ford.791/post-23136

US order guide.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2021-mach-e-mustang-order-guide.877/

I should point out there is no rear heated seat feature. However, Ford ought to come up with a dealer installable kit for that. Hope they are checking these comments.

And here's the US Packaging guide with the pretty pictures.

Attachments

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag

Thanks.

for me it is about the availability of service centers. North Texas only has 2 service centers for tesla none within 20 miles of me. Ford has at least 2 with in 10 miles

OP
OP

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Thanks everyone, I'll order the premium AWD, even it's about 8k more than select in BC(including 3k rebate), still make sense for all the extra features, B&O, glass rooftop, 19" wheels, power passenger seats, ambient light etc.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Thanks.
Hmm....
You make some valid points. If the Model Y satisfies you then there probably isnt any reason to wait for the MME. As you have already figured out.....the Premium trim is the comparable model to the Y. The Select doesnt have the feature to make for a valid challenger to the Y.

Tesla doesnt check enough boxes for me but it might do it for you. If so, I dont think you can go wrong with Tesla. They hold their resale well so little risk if you go that route and then still want an MME later.

OP
OP

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Hmm....
You make some valid points. If the Model Y satisfies you then there probably isnt any reason to wait for the MME. As you have already figured out.....the Premium trim is the comparable model to the Y. The Select doesnt have the feature to make for a valid challenger to the Y.

Tesla doesnt check enough boxes for me but it might do it for you. If so, I dont think you can go wrong with Tesla. They hold their resale well so little risk if you go that route and then still want an MME later.
I prefer the interior and exterior of MME over Model Y, and the extra screen. 95% I will charge at home, so the shorter range shouldn't bother me to much.
Sponsored