Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe; 2021 MachE AWD ER, Rapid Red
Occupation
Director or Human Resources
Country flag
Tried to start my MME twice with the Ford Pass App. Apparently when it fails twice you have to start it from the car. The car started just fine and warmed up while I scraped about 6 inches of snow off. Then I noticed all of the errors. Various sensors were not working, AWD was not working, powertrain malfunction service vehicle soon. I tried cleaning off all of the sensors to no avail. Could not put the car in gear. It was showing charged at 100%. Super frustrating to have a car with less than 500 miles on it!!! My boss had to take me home and we will have to dig it out in the morning.
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OK. I'm beginning to think Ford needed more testing in cold weather before they rolled this pony out of the corral. Too much coincidence with issues and cold climates.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Wild guess that the issue is similar to what has been described as LVB or deep sleep issues - likely related to the LVB - again wild guess given blizzard and low temps

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah if you have a voltmeter and can get into the car measure the voltage on the cigarette lighter plug in the arm rest when you try to start it.

If its anything under about 12V its a LVB problem.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
OK. I'm beginning to think Ford need more testing in cold weather before they rolled this pony out of thee corral. Too much coincidence with issues and cold climates.
Totally agree - And they did do testing in Norway and that video in snow? I dont think they tested with production batteries or with batteries sitting somewhere for a month - again wild speculations please don't yell at me. I do think they tested a lot about driving dynamics etc but the car has to run first.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Totally agree - And they did do testing in Norway and that video in snow? I dont think they tested with production batteries or with batteries sitting somewhere for a month - again wild speculations please don't yell at me. I do think they tested a lot about driving dynamics etc but the car has to run first.
It has been brought up that the delay, cars sitting for a month or more, could have damaged the 12V batteries. It would be great if a replacement with a high quality 12V fixed these issues. But seems too simple. We'll see! I'm just frustrated for all of the people we've been hanging with for months or a year getting their cars and having these issues. I know it's a new car, but all these issues seem more than average for a new vehicle rollout.

I have no doubt Ford will take care of people. I seriously doubt this was foreseen. This is what happens when your baby gets out in the wild and things you didn't think to test for come to light.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'm willing to take possession of the car and deal with multiple issues. At this point I really don't know what to do. I have less than two weeks to make a decision. Really love the car, but I turned my Audi in in December and need a car that is not going to be a problem like now.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Tried to start my MME twice with the Ford Pass App. Apparently when it fails twice you have to start it from the car. The car started just fine and warmed up while I scraped about 6 inches of snow off. Then I noticed all of the errors. Various sensors were not working, AWD was not working, powertrain malfunction service vehicle soon. I tried cleaning off all of the sensors to no avail. Could not put the car in gear. It was showing charged at 100%. Super frustrating to have a car with less than 500 miles on it!!! My boss had to take me home and we will have to dig it out in the morning.
OH HELL NO!

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
If car was charged at 100% and the dash lit up like a christmas tree sounds like the 12V, kind of like when the alternator dies.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
It has been brought up that the delay, cars sitting for a month or more, could have damaged the 12V batteries. It would be great if a replacement with a high quality 12V fixed these issues. But seems too simple. We'll see! I'm just frustrated for all of the people we've been hanging with for months or a year getting their cars and having these issues. I know it's a new car, but all these issues seem more than average for a new vehicle rollout.

I have no doubt Ford will take care of people. I seriously doubt this was foreseen. This is what happens when your baby gets out in the wild and things you didn't think to test for come to light.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'm willing to take possession of the car and deal with multiple issues. At this point I really don't know what to do. I have less than two weeks to make a decision. Really love the car, but I turned my Audi in in December and need a car that is not going to be a problem like now.
It would have been one thing if Ford said “hey folks, it’s gonna be a little rough at the beginning since it’s a new model”. No, they went out of their way to say how seamless and easy everything was going to be. Not so much it seems.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It would have been one thing if Ford said “hey folks, it’s gonna be a little rough at the beginning since it’s a new model”. No, they went out of their way to say how seamless and easy everything was going to be. Not so much it seems.
I mean, new car out the gate. A car that is by all means supposed to be a game changer for Ford. So I understand Ford not wanting to put that kind of message out for the car. No one in their right mind would as it would be marketing suicide. In the end I guess this is truly a first adopter experience with all the good and the bad. I just expected less issues since EVs are now pretty common and Ford is very experienced and they worked on this car for years before rollout. Just surprised is all.

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Dumb question - I didn’t know there were two batteries I was supposed to watch. Is there a light or something to show if the 12v is charging(ed)?

My car only stayed in KC for a few hours, not months

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I mean, new car out the gate. A car that is by all means supposed to be a game changer for Ford. So I understand Ford not wanting to put that kind of message out for the car. No one in their right mind would as it would be marketing suicide. In the end I guess this is truly a first adopter experience with all the good and the bad. I just expected less issues since EVs are now pretty common and Ford is very experienced and they worked on this car for years before rollout. Just surprised is all.
True, being an MBA guy, of course I understand WHY Ford couldn’t be more forthcoming. Still, sucks though.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
Keeping fingers crossed for you given the forecast for the Midwest. While I'm far enough west of Lake Michigan to avoid lake effect snow, the system coming through right now has the snow band further south and hope it avoids Springfield.

Our MME was scheduled for production this week and with delivery time, hoping that we'll be past any new snow but thinking it will still be on the ground but melting by then.

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If car was charged at 100% and the dash lit up like a christmas tree sounds like the 12V, kind of like when the alternator dies.
Yep, that is exactly what happened!
Sponsored