kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Question for the battery experts... speaking 60k did the car so grudgingly I don’t mind spending a few hundred more to replace the LVB with a better one if one is recommended. But that only solves if this is bad battery issue but not if the charging circuit has issues ... am I right? That needs a software update or something else?
I think it wouls be a waste of money. Wait until Ford figures it out. Plus I couldnt find any H3 batteries online.
Sponsored

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Very sorry to hear about the battery issue. Had to completely suck. Fact is, the 12v battery is a weak point in all BEVs. Some of us tried to explain that, despite Darren Palmer saying how the MME was going to make it virtually impossible to fail, we were likely going to see 12v related failures. IOW hiding the battery terminals = Not Good. IOW not having a mechanical way to get into the MME = Not Good. Not saying "we told you so" but "we told you so"! ? ? ?

The question would be whether what we're seeing is because these batteries are bad, or they're not up to the task, or whether COVID related delays reduced their capacities, or whether there is an issue with the hardware or software in the DC-DC converter, or something else. TBD.

As for all those getting hysterical -- get over yourselves. If you aren't comfortable taking possession of the MME, don't. Can't possibly get any simpler than this. It also won't matter to the success of the MME.

Now as a special shoutout to @DaveRuns, just because he deserves one: I've now had two Tesla owners check out and drive the MME. You made a big mistake not waiting my friend. And as for issues, it's not as if the brakes aren't working or the steering is dangerous or the roofs are flying off. Wishful thinking won't help. ;)

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
This is exactly why I’m up Ford’s customer service line multiple times a day right now. Could have had my car to me Saturday before the Arctic blast. But now it sits on a lot for another week in Ice and snow....and that’s after a month sitting idle in normal transit. I’m just stubborn enough to make this a big deal...for them.
You guys are having a tough time in OK right now. Hope everything is well and that your car survives this madness with no long-term damage.

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Question for the battery experts... speaking 60k did the car so grudgingly I don’t mind spending a few hundred more to replace the LVB with a better one if one is recommended. But that only solves if this is bad battery issue but not if the charging circuit has issues ... am I right? That needs a software update or something else?
typicLly these are more expensive 12 v batterery likely AGM COMPARED TO. regular lead acid battery which are know to last longer hence expensive. Electric and hybrid vehicles don’t take the regular 12 v lead acid battery

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Very sorry to hear about the battery issue. Had to completely suck. Fact is, the 12v battery is a weak point in all BEVs. Some of us tried to explain that, despite Darren Palmer saying how the MME was going to make it virtually impossible to fail, we were likely going to see 12v related failures. IOW hiding the battery terminals = Not Good. IOW not having a mechanical way to get into the MME = Not Good. Not saying "we told you so" but "we told you so"! ? ? ?

The question would be whether what we're seeing is because these batteries are bad, or they're not up to the task, or whether COVID related delays reduced their capacities, or whether there is an issue with the hardware or software in the DC-DC converter, or something else. TBD.

As for all those getting hysterical -- get over yourselves. If you aren't comfortable taking possession of the MME, don't. Can't possibly get any simpler than this. It also won't matter to the success of the MME.

Now as a special shoutout to @DaveRuns, just because he deserves one: I've now had two Tesla owners check out and drive the MME. You made a big mistake not waiting my friend. And as for issues, it's not as if the brakes aren't working or the steering is dangerous or the roofs are flying off. Wishful thinking won't help. ;)
As the son of a Ford Engineer, and Grandson of a Ford Assembly line worker and over 25 Ford vehicles; I have high regard for the Ford Motor Co. and their vehicles. However Ford needs to be monitoring websites like this, and let people know what is going on. If Ford's not sure yet, say that and tell us what specifically they are doing to assist these early adopters to the new electric Baby. Nobody should be telling another member they can walk if they have valid concerns over other members vehicle basically being Bricked.
I see Ford reps on the Bronco Forums, we need one to chime in here and I really hope the dealers are taking Extremely good care of the MachE owners whom are having this issue.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it wouls be a waste of money. Wait until Ford figures it out. Plus I couldnt find any H3 batteries online.
And it's under warranty anyway. Even a battery in the first few hundred miles seems like it should be a full replacement, if needed.

It's still unclear whether it's bad batteries, or something draining them, or failing to properly recharge them, etc. A new battery might have the same problem.

Ford will get this figured out. It's just frustrating on a brand new vehicle. But we're all early adopters of a radical new vehicle for Ford, so we knew there would be some bumps.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

Haha, the important thing is, I don’t feel like I made a mistake at all. Who knows, maybe in a few years when I’m looking for a new car, the MME will get my dollars. After they fix all of these issues of course. For now, I’m good. Appreciate the shout out though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As the son of a Ford Engineer, and Grandson of a Ford Assembly line worker and over 25 Ford vehicles; I have high regard for the Ford Motor Co. and their vehicles. However Ford needs to be monitoring websites like this, and let people know what is going on. If Ford's not sure yet, say that and tell us what specifically they are doing to assist these early adopters to the new electric Baby. Nobody should be telling another member they can walk if they have valid concerns over other members vehicle basically being Bricked.
I see Ford reps on the Bronco Forums, we need one to chime in here and I really hope the dealers are taking Extremely good care of the MachE owners whom are having this issue.
Ford knows what is going on and is working on the problem now.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
And it's under warranty anyway. Even a battery in the first few hundred miles seems like it should ve a full replacement, if needed.

It's still unclear whether it's bad batteries, or something draining them, or failing to properly recharge them, etc. A new battery might have the same problem.

Ford will get this figured out. It's just frustrating on a brand new vehicle. But we're all early adopters of a radical new vehicle for Ford, so we knew there would be some bumps.
I can't figure out if the problems we're hearing about are wacky anomalies or this is indicative of serious issues with these cars. I'd like to think that we're just experiencing selection bias due to the community we're in but it's hard to tell.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Tried to start my MME twice with the Ford Pass App. Apparently when it fails twice you have to start it from the car. The car started just fine and warmed up while I scraped about 6 inches of snow off. Then I noticed all of the errors. Various sensors were not working, AWD was not working, powertrain malfunction service vehicle soon. I tried cleaning off all of the sensors to no avail. Could not put the car in gear. It was showing charged at 100%. Super frustrating to have a car with less than 500 miles on it!!! My boss had to take me home and we will have to dig it out in the morning.
Did your system failure screens look like this?

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
It has been brought up that the delay, cars sitting for a month or more, could have damaged the 12V batteries. It would be great if a replacement with a high quality 12V fixed these issues. But seems too simple. We'll see! I'm just frustrated for all of the people we've been hanging with for months or a year getting their cars and having these issues. I know it's a new car, but all these issues seem more than average for a new vehicle rollout.

I have no doubt Ford will take care of people. I seriously doubt this was foreseen. This is what happens when your baby gets out in the wild and things you didn't think to test for come to light.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'm willing to take possession of the car and deal with multiple issues. At this point I really don't know what to do. I have less than two weeks to make a decision. Really love the car, but I turned my Audi in in December and need a car that is not going to be a problem like now.
I agree! I don't even have a production date yet and my current Focus Titanium is on it's last leg. I was hoping take delivery by March, but I might end up needing a new car sooner, one that doesn't have out of the factory issues.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can't figure out if the problems we're hearing about are wacky anomalies or this is indicative of serious issues with these cars. I'd like to think that we're just experiencing selection bias due to the community we're in but it's hard to tell.
Its more than just an anomaly. Happening in too many vehicles for that, and seemingly the same problem. It's appearing like it's probably the same problem that delayed many from that early batch too.

But while a serious result, it may not be too serious of a problem. Might be a software fix, might be a part replacement, might be a bad batch of batteries, or something else. Too many possibilities to tell yet.

I'm not worried about Ford fixing it, just more worried about safely living with it until then. It does appear to be resulting in a drained 12v battery, so at least we know what to watch for.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Its more than just an anomaly. Happening in too many vehicles for that, and seemingly the same problem. It's appearing like it's probably the same problem that delayed many from that early batch too.

But while a serious result, it may not be too serious of a problem. Might be a software fix, might be a part replacement, might be a bad batch of batteries, or something else. Too many possibilities to tell yet.

I'm not worried about Ford fixing it, just more worried about safely living with it until then. It does appear to be resulting in a drained 12v battery, so at least we know what to watch for.
I agree 100% the end resultvis serious but I doubt its a serious issue. The worst thing that it could be is the inverter is defective and I highly doubt that to be the case. Either the battery needs to be changed, the power consumption via software needs to be changed, or recalibration of the inverter. Those who are complaining about not being able to fix the issue via OTA, if the 12v has an issue the modem wont work so you have no choice but to bring the car in to be fixed, whether its a hardware of software issue.
You cant run windows uodate if your psu is dead.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And it's under warranty anyway. Even a battery in the first few hundred miles seems like it should be a full replacement, if needed.

Handles the bumps great no probs in that department ;) . I have seen some of the error messages when the 12V gets low they are not the greatest to see when you have no idea what could be happening. Now I understand what is going on not of huge concern. I would not like to be someone not on this forum and getting the same messages so thanks to all for the help and insight. If I have to pick one of the batteries to have problems with I would pick the 12V. Been hearing about an OTA update for awhile now to address problems ...... release it already :p.
Sponsored