MME STRANDS ME IN A BLIZZARD!!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
And it's under warranty anyway. Even a battery in the first few hundred miles seems like it should be a full replacement, if needed.

It's still unclear whether it's bad batteries, or something draining them, or failing to properly recharge them, etc. A new battery might have the same problem.

Ford will get this figured out. It's just frustrating on a brand new vehicle. But we're all early adopters of a radical new vehicle for Ford, so we knew there would be some bumps.
I agree with this and frankly, this specific issue is clearly enough of a big deal that it is either going to get fixed or Ford is going to be buying back a bunch of vehicles. I think everyone experiencing this 12v issue should have every confidence that they will not be left holding the bag, whatever the outcome.

I think where some of us will face a certain difficulty over time is that this whole thing has demonstrated what a PITA it is to access the 12v battery should it need to be jumped or replaced. I think this may be a longer term issue as the vehicles age and we get dead batteries for miscellaneous reasons.
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Its more than just an anomaly. Happening in too many vehicles for that, and seemingly the same problem. It's appearing like it's probably the same problem that delayed many from that early batch too.

But while a serious result, it may not be too serious of a problem. Might be a software fix, might be a part replacement, might be a bad batch of batteries, or something else. Too many possibilities to tell yet.

I'm not worried about Ford fixing it, just more worried about safely living with it until then. It does appear to be resulting in a drained 12v battery, so at least we know what to watch for.
How many vehicles are having this problem? I see a lot of replies to each report of the problem but it is not clear what the actual count is. Has anybody tried to do the count?

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe; 2021 MachE AWD ER, Rapid Red
Occupation
Director or Human Resources
Country flag
Did your system failure screens look like this?
Mine came on just like it started but then the start button light started flashing green. The screen was on constantly and didn’t flash on and off like I am seeing on yours. I also had different errors. All of the screens, including the large screen worked fine and I was even able to look up things on the owners manual. Mine was not plugged in and had been sitting outside all day. Because of the weather I didn’t even leave for lunch. There were a lot more warning lights on mine. I mostly noticed the red battery, a yellow wrench and a turtle with a circle around it. I can video it tomorrow when I get back to work in the morning.

RobertP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
The Polestar 2 also had issues where the 12V system wasn't charged enough to keep the systems running. Most of the car is still a 12v system. Polestars even stopped while driving on the highway because the battery drained. They were all called in for modification of the battery energy control module.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I think where some of us will face a certain difficulty over time is that this whole thing has demonstrated what a PITA it is to access the 12v battery should it need to be jumped or replaced. I think this may be a longer term issue as the vehicles age and we get dead batteries for miscellaneous reasons.
Something tells me if Ford doesn’t make a modification for easier access, some creative customers will. But I have no idea if it is as “simple” as removing the plastic, or if there a bunch of brackets and crap to also remove.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Something tells me if Ford doesn’t make a modification for easier access, some creative customers will. But I have no idea if it is as “simple” as removing the plastic, or if there a bunch of brackets and crap to also remove.
Wonder what Ford will say about warranty if people modify their cars to allow for access?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Wonder what Ford will say about warranty if people modify their cars to allow for access?
That would indeed be an interesting position to denI warranty coverage due to mod’ing for better access to a defective part. I hope there is good warranty coverage for plastic clips. Maybe they should come with a little baggie of extra clips in the glove box.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mine came on just like it started but then the start button light started flashing green. The screen was on constantly and didn’t flash on and off like I am seeing on yours. I also had different errors. All of the screens, including the large screen worked fine and I was even able to look up things on the owners manual. Mine was not plugged in and had been sitting outside all day. Because of the weather I didn’t even leave for lunch. There were a lot more warning lights on mine. I mostly noticed the red battery, a yellow wrench and a turtle with a circle around it. I can video it tomorrow when I get back to work in the morning.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see the differences between the two. Both might still be low voltage in the LVB. Mine was severe (7.5v by the time I reached the battery). Yours might be what happens at a less severe voltage loss.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
The Polestar 2 also had issues where the 12V system wasn't charged enough to keep the systems running. Most of the car is still a 12v system. Polestars even stopped while driving on the highway because the battery drained. They were all called in for modification of the battery energy control module.
If you check the other thread, this is the conclusion I came to with the little info we have. Now to a) see if this is the issue b) see if this will affect range.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. It will be interesting to see the differences between the two. Both might still be low voltage in the LVB. Mine was severe (7.5v by the time I reached the battery). Yours might be what happens at a less severe voltage loss.
Ouch! thats really dead, maybe even broken.

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe; 2021 MachE AWD ER, Rapid Red
Occupation
Director or Human Resources
Country flag
It's a miracle!! I got a ride into work this morning and was going to video what it was doing so I could post it here, but it started!! I took it out for a short drive and there were no issues. It is a balmy 1 degree and it sat outside all night.

I don't know if this made any difference or not, but my husband and I came back out last night to try and get it to start. He said he read something that engaging the parking brake and then disengaging the parking brake would somehow reset the 12v charging, so we did that. If that worked, I guess it recharged itself overnight and was good to go this morning. Or, that may have had absolutely nothing to do with it. Either way, I am happy to be back up and running!

Thank you for all of the suggestions and help!!

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's a miracle!! I got a ride into work this morning and was going to video what it was doing so I could post it here, but it started!! I took it out for a short drive and there were no issues. It is a balmy 1 degree and it sat outside all night.

I don't know if this made any difference or not, but my husband and I came back out last night to try and get it to start. He said he read something that engaging the parking brake and then disengaging the parking brake would somehow reset the 12v charging, so we did that. If that worked, I guess it recharged itself overnight and was good to go this morning. Or, that may have had absolutely nothing to do with it. Either way, I am happy to be back up and running!

Thank you for all of the suggestions and help!!
Its very possible that overnight the HVB started charging the LVB. Happy you got it started.
So one thing is I dont think its an issue with the battery themselves other than size maybe, but a recalibration of the inverter definetely needs to be done

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's a miracle!! I got a ride into work this morning and was going to video what it was doing so I could post it here, but it started!! I took it out for a short drive and there were no issues.
Hurray!

You should still speak with your Ford dealer. There may be an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm just glad you don't have an urgent need to do so.

I don't know if this made any difference or not, but my husband and I came back out last night to try and get it to start. He said he read something that engaging the parking brake and then disengaging the parking brake would somehow reset the 12v charging, so we did that.
Would you please let us know where he found this? That's a very interesting solution/treatment to this problem. It might point to the electronic brake being the culprit.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hurray!

You should still speak with your Ford dealer. There may be an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm just glad you don't have an urgent need to do so.

Would you please let us know where he found this? That's a very interesting solution/treatment to this problem. It might point to the electronic brake being the culprit.
I agree you should still speak to your dealer so they can pass your story along because that's going to be a very important piece of information in figuring out the bigger issue