Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Years ago Diehard made a battery with a reserve cell. If it went dead you rotated a switch on the battery and supposedly it gave you just enough for a few cranks of the engine. Too bad they don't make those anymore. It would be a handy workaround until Ford gets this sorted.

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe; 2021 MachE AWD ER, Rapid Red
Occupation
Director or Human Resources
Country flag

After waiting about 10 minutes and trying a few times, it started and I was able to drive it to the dealership. They gave me their other MachE as a loaner.

My salesperson suggested that the issue was snow packed in the wheel wells?!?!?

He said that the service department who is certified in EV vehicles probably won’t have any idea what the problem is and will have to work with Ford Service to figure it out. I was able to give them the video to show I am not crazy.
Doesn’t really inspire a lot of confidence!

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Honestly the more dealers have to garage mme’s and give loaners until a fix is available, the better. They’ll ping Ford for answers. Sorry you’re pioneering this for us! Did it unlock for you, obviously, so not a completely dead 12v battery?

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Someone else in this forum said cycling the parking brake worked. Wonder if there’s something to the wheel well snow thing... prob just coincidence.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Nothing worse than being stranded in the cold. I can understand how you could lose confidence driving the car any place. Sorry

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Someone else in this forum said cycling the parking brake worked. Wonder if there’s something to the wheel well snow thing... prob just coincidence.
I think it was a coincedence. Its more that the HVB probably charged the LVB overnight

Astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Very discouraging, after all this waiting for those of us that live is colder weather it's not looking good.

I actually feel fortunate that my car was built on 1/9 and never left the factory according to the tracker. It will give me some time to gauge whether this issue is going to be fixed in a timely manner or not.

I really hope everything gets straightened out but some of these glaring engineering lapses have me starting to think if it may be best to wait another year when you can actually access your battery terminals conveniently. Also I can't imagine needing to ditch my car in a parking lot and not being able to close the doors due to the lack of a mechanical latch.

Misspelled words on the dash start to raise real questions as to how well this was QA'd. I really do hope ford is ready for this new age, it's all on the line for them now.

Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Lol- snow packed in wheel? Glad you have the video but I guess you will have to patient like the others for Ford to figure it out - better with the dealer as they get to put the ticket in start the process to get this fixed.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
This is a nightmare scenario if this were to happen let's say... with your kids, sledding outside on a hill. Phone left in car and everything dead upon return with no way to get inside. Door code not even working.

And before someone says "why would you leave your phone in the car?"

You shouldn't have to worry about your car not letting you inside! That's why lol

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's a miracle!! I got a ride into work this morning and was going to video what it was doing so I could post it here, but it started!! I took it out for a short drive and there were no issues. It is a balmy 1 degree and it sat outside all night.

I don't know if this made any difference or not, but my husband and I came back out last night to try and get it to start. He said he read something that engaging the parking brake and then disengaging the parking brake would somehow reset the 12v charging, so we did that. If that worked, I guess it recharged itself overnight and was good to go this morning. Or, that may have had absolutely nothing to do with it. Either way, I am happy to be back up and running!

Thank you for all of the suggestions and help!!
Excellent news! Glad it's up and running again! Probably a good idea to mention it to your shop even if it's not replicable right now. Just remember, problems that go away on their own usually come back with friends.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
OP's husband did that last night, the car was able to start again this morning but evidently the same problem returned in the afternoon.