Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Just thinking out loud. There seems to be issues with temperature and LV battery. You "tried it a few times and it finally started." Current flows, things heat up, and finally the car starts. It might be as simple as a frozen battery not able to supply enough current to engage all the systems. Repeated tries heat the battery. The battery heats and supplies more current (amperage). Finally after enough attempts, the battery heats itself to the point where it can supply enough current et voila !

If that is indeed what is happening, this issue should start disappearing in a few weeks. It still needs to be fixed of course. Hopefully there are already enough sensors in the vehicle that will allow this to be a software fix.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
ok.... I've read thru all 5 pages of this thread, and a couple others reporting problems... My semi-educated guess as a Solar/battery/DIY ev person is that the temp sensor/charge circuit for the 12v battery is not allowing the HV to charge the LV if the Frunk temp is 'too low'. Combined with the relatively small capacity of the 12v battery, the 'background electronics' drain the 12v, it can't initiate a bump charge from HV, and the 12v drops to a voltage that causes problems.

I have a short-term solution I'd suggest if your MME will be left below 32F / 0C for more than a couple hours. buy a 12v battery warming pad, or a small 12v heating pad like for your back.... and connect it to the 12v battery terminals.

these little pads/warmers will draw 15-40 watts of power, but if they keep the sensors and HV charge circuit active, the 12v battery *should* periodically top up from the HV.

a quick search yields at least two options:

- fix for possible problem w cold 12v battery drain,
battery pad
$40 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VLB1KK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?
elec blanket
$20 - https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Blanket-Tailgating-Emergency-Stalwart-BLUE/dp/B001QJQ22O/ref=sr_1_3

...if you live in a super cold place, it's not a bad idea to have a blanket in the car anyway... you can store it wrapped around the 12v battery. Although you may have to add an easy-access 'hatch' to extract it from the battery if you want to use it yourself. ;)
While this may be helpful under really cold conditions, I've heard Ford doesn't believe this problem is weather related. The good news is the Mach E engineering team believes they have found a solution for my car's LVB drain and hopefully it will solve the rest of your's as well.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
While this may be helpful under really cold conditions, I've heard Ford doesn't believe this problem is weather related. The good news is the Mach E engineering team believes they have found a solution for my car's LVB drain and hopefully it will solve the rest of your's as well.
This is great news!!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Isn't Mustang supposed to be one of the few brands famous for allowing mods. If that voided the warranty it sounds like it goes against the spirit of the name Mustang that Ford stressed in it's naming and advertising.
You mod it, your warrant with any auto can be voided.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Isn't Mustang supposed to be one of the few brands famous for allowing mods. If that voided the warranty it sounds like it goes against the spirit of the name Mustang that Ford stressed in it's naming and advertising.
The folks at Koons Ford said they keep a bag of those clips handy all the time because they are always getting lost.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
You mod it, your warrant with any auto can be voided.
Manufacturers cannot, by law, "void" their warranty. What they can do is deny a warranty claim if they can prove a particular modification caused a failure.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
Very good. Is it a hardware or software fix?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I would be wondering if this is something that they will do once it breaks, or proactively on all models now? In other words, what caused this to begin with and how widespread could it be?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Wonder what Ford will say about warranty if people modify their cars to allow for access?
In the US, manufacturers have to honor warranty coverage on modified vehicles unless they can prove that the modification itself was the cause of the failure, and burden of proof is on the warranty provider, not the consumer. Even then, they can only deny coverage for specific damage that occurred due to the modification, they can't just "void your warranty".

So if you changed out some clips in order to make it easier to access the battery, there is nothing they could change about your warranty. If you made a giant hole to get to the battery and water and mud from the road was splashed all up inside the battery compartment, then perhaps they could deny warranty coverage for the battery, but not for the wheels, powertrain, or any other component not impacted by the modification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

EDIT: This act was signed in 1975 to stop deceptive warranty practices - it is amazing to me how many of the same deceptive practices are still in use by dealers today...

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Very good. Is it a hardware or software fix?
I'll know soon but I think it is all software. I'm supposed to get a call from Ford's (probably Mach E) engineering team shortly.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would be wondering if this is something that they will do once it breaks, or proactively on all models now? In other words, what caused this to begin with and how widespread could it be?
This is strictly my guess but I would guess they will be looking for diagnostics they can run on all the cars they think might be impacted (maybe starting with the ones that passed the KS Speedway testing). Whether they can do that OTA or need the cars to come to the dealers to run a pre-established set of diagnostics is another question. However, I would doubt they would just wait for cars to break.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
This is strictly my guess but I would guess they will be looking for diagnostics they can run on all the cars they think might be impacted (maybe starting with the ones that passed the KS Speedway testing). Whether they can do that OTA or need the cars to come to the dealers to run a pre-established set of diagnostics is another question. However, I would doubt they would just wait for cars to break.
Especially because they are paying for roadside assistance!

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
I’m gonna pick my mme in a hour, and on the fordpass app, it says it is in deep sleep..!
Ford Mustang Mach-E MME STRANDS ME IN A BLIZZARD!! 0357B0D6-6625-4CA2-94E0-2A3FB7766089

Reactions: UW2