MME vs Ioniq 5. An owners perspective

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
So I finally picked up my MME RWD select with tech PKG last week. I've been driving base model Ioniq 5 AWD for the past 3 mos. MSRP are 48700 for i5 and 47300 for MME before incentives.

First impressions of MME was the nice interior. The materials are premium. Surprised it was so nice for a base trim. Base i5 has a lot more plastic and seats are cloth. MME seats are more supportive and comfy. i5 is more spacious though. Surpringly i5 is 5 inches shorter. But it's boxy and maximizes interior space. It's geared for a relaxing experience. The MME is definitely more sporty looking with more curves at the expense of interior space. It's definitely geared for a sporty and an exciting driving experience. MME has a more cozy seating space but has a little more cargo capacity than i5.

For the driving experience you do feel the excitement and mojo of MME when you start it up and roll down the street. People seem to notice it bit more than i5 even when nothing else really looks like an i5. The suspension between the two is night and day though. I have noticed the MMEs firm and bouncy ride. I seem to feel every bump on the road which is fine but feeling the subsequent bounces after is a bit annoying. It feels like its not dampened at all. I lowered the tire pressure from 40 to 36 with a little improvement. The I5 probably has the best ride quality for EVs. The ride feels like a BMW 528i I once had. It takes initial bumps well and there's no bounce. MME cornering is slightly better though. RWD Acceleration is fast enough but of course doesn't knock you back like an AWD. 5.8s vs 4.5s 0-60 between the two.

I find the i5 driver assistance a lot better. My biggest gripe with BC is that it limits you to mapped roads and lane centering doesn't work without BC on. Most city streets I drive on are not mapped. The Hyundai system is simpler but works fairly well on any road with lane markings. It makes driving almost effortless most of the time. Handsfree driving is a nice idea but BC disengages so often that it's not that useful. I5 system is not supposed to be handsfree and gives you about 15s before nagging which is about how often bluecruise disengages for sharper curves anyway. I'd rather have something more reliable I can use 90% of the time than something that works a little better but I can only use for 50% of the drive.

In the i5 after 1500 miles I've been getting 280+ miles of range and 3.7 mi/kwh in 50/50 hwy city driving. SR MME Real world range is around 250 I believe. I've only been doing CCS charging with i5 because it's free for 2 years. I actually like to go charge because it doesn't take long and it's free. It's been taking about 20mins or less to charge 10 to 80% on a 150 kw charger. Between range and fast charging I5 is the better road tripper of the two.

MME is the better value though. I was able to get 2500 off with Ford options. Hyundai financing only gives you 500. For all you get with the tech pkg and better materials it's an insane value. Base model i5 doesn't have power lift gate or rear ac vents which is ridiculous for a 48k car. Also Android auto/carplay is only available as wired in all trims. I bought a wireless dongle but it was buggy. Wireless AA is so convenient. I love PAAK on the mme. It was easy to setup and has been reliable. PAAK is only on highest trim on the i5 and is android only, and the dealer has to program it.

I recommend test driving the MME if you can for the suspension. It's a real deal breaker for some people. MME right now retains its value better than the i5. I5 hasn't been out long enough for people to figure out its used prices. You probably won't be able to sell a used i5 at msrp when you can probably get more than msrp for your MME.

Both are great cars in their own way and are better at certain things than the other. I'm going to stick with the i5. I like the ride quality and using autosteer almost all the time. My wife doesn't care too much about that so she gets the mme. I think people would be happy with either if they know what exactly they are looking for in an EV. Hope that helps for those that are on the fence between the two.

20220519_180731.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jaklou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White RWD Select ordered 3/28, no prod date
Country flag
Great and timely review. I ordered my MME select on 3/28, and a month later went into the queue for an I5 SEL. Each have significant pluses over the other, which ultimately leaves us at picking the first one available. Will probably stick with the MME if we get a production date before the I5 becomes available. I think we’ll be happy with either one, but secretly hoping for the MME

Last edited:

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Thanks for the great review. Does the I5 have "Pet Mode" or "Dog Mode" like Teslas?

We have two dogs that ride with us frequently and lack of Pet Mode is driving us crazy. Ford patented the technology but has yet to roll it out to our cars... There are several workarounds but they're a pain in the rear!

OP
OP

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Thanks for the great review. Does the I5 have "Pet Mode" or "Dog Mode" like Teslas?

We have two dogs that ride with us frequently and lack of Pet Mode is driving us crazy. Ford patented the technology but has yet to roll it out to our cars... There are several workarounds but they're a pain in the rear!
Unfortunately no

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Great review! Other than the suspension, I do feel like you get your moneys worth with the MME price in terms of features and quality of materials used compared to the Ioniq.

Side note - you can use lane centering without BlueCruise, it even works on city streets. I use it all the time when I’m going to be going down a particular road for a few miles, it just isn’t hands free.

OP
OP

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Great review! Other than the suspension, I do feel like you get your moneys worth with the MME price in terms of features and quality of materials used compared to the Ioniq.

Side note - you can use lane centering without BlueCruise, it even works on city streets. I use it all the time when I’m going to be going down a particular road for a few miles, it just isn’t hands free.
Thanks! And it's lane centering not lane keeping where you're bouncing from side to side?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Thanks! And it's lane centering not lane keeping where you're bouncing from side to side?
I believe so. It’s the same as BlueCruise just hands on. Lane keep assist is supposed to keep you in the lane if you drift to the line or alert you, but it’s pretty bad at it and alerts way to late, if at all.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes the blue bubble is lane centering. You have to engage cruise control for it to be active.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I don't get the blue bubble on city streets :(
There must be at least one painted line in good condition, you have to turn it on with the steering wheel button, adaptive cruise control engaged, and you have to be going faster than the minimum speed (20 mph I think).

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E MME vs Ioniq 5. An owners perspective 20220519_180731

Base model i5 doesn't have power lift gate or rear ac vents which is ridiculous for a 48k car.
Very good comparison. I agree the SE trim is not a good value. Was the SEL trim not available when you bought it? You should check to see how much your SE is worth on Carvana and upgrade.

jaklou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very good comparison. I agree the SE trim is not a good value. Was the SEL trim not available when you bought it? You should check to see how much your SE is worth on Carvana and upgrade.
I agree the SEL is a much better value, and I ordered one myself. But if the OP followed your suggestion, he'd have to begin all over again and go through the long wait, as well as increasing price (not to mention mark ups and add ons), to get the car he wants. Not worth it.

My dealer doesn't mark up, but they have a mandatory add on of $1500. Others I've seen between $2500 (lowest) to $15,000. Just ridiculous

jaklou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Then they do mark up.
Absolutely. The ones who say they don’t mark up still require add ons. One dealer had $1500 in add ons, another $2500, another $6100. Another reason I’m hoping I get a notification that my Mach e select is in production before an I5 becomes available to me. However, the comfort of the ride between the two is pretty significant, so I won’t be too disappointed if I end up with the I5