MME vs. the 2023 Kia EV9

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
I'm holding out for the EV9. Not too keen on current generation of hatchback/wagon-esque EVs (MME, Lyriq, Ioniq). Looks like the concept is coming along nicely, even though it looks like an oversized Kia Soul. If they can get the range over 300 miles with fast charging then they'll have a winner. Not everyone wants to pay Tesla Model X or Rivian R1S pricing.

https://www.burlappcar.com/2022/05/2023-kia-ev9-vs-concept.html
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm holding out for the EV9. Not too keen on current generation of hatchback/wagon-esque EVs (MME, Lyriq, Ioniq). Looks like the concept is coming along nicely, even though it looks like an oversized Kia Soul. If they can get the range over 300 miles with fast charging then they'll have a winner. Not everyone wants to pay Tesla Model X or Rivian R1S pricing.

https://www.burlappcar.com/2022/05/2023-kia-ev9-vs-concept.html
Ugh that yoke, no thanks

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Ugh that yoke, no thanks
Agreed. The EV6 concept had a yoke too, if I remember correctly, and that was fixed before production.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
EV9 is most likely 2025 (aka mid 2024 release).

Kia just started shipping 2023 model years this month and have stopped 2022 orders. This concept is a long ways from final production IMO. They need to cut costs to keep it affordable or it will cost $80K.

Battery supplies are severely constrained. Heck Toyota had to use a different supplier for AWD bz4x/Solterra in the US for 2023 (which shipped this month also).

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The price is a little high. Fun second car if it got over 320 miles.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EV9 is most likely 2025 (aka mid 2024 release).

Kia just started shipping 2023 model years this month and have stopped 2022 orders. This concept is a long ways from final production IMO. They need to cut costs to keep it affordable or it will cost $80K.

Battery supplies are severely constrained. Heck Toyota had to use a different supplier for AWD bz4x/Solterra in the US for 2023 (which shipped this month also).
I read it'll be sold in the US starting in 2023? It'll be unveiled in late 2022- I can't see them delaying until 2024 or 2025.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I read it'll be sold in the US starting in 2023? It'll be unveiled in late 2022- I can't see them delaying until 2024 or 2025.
These large SUVs will have terrible efficiency numbers and Hyundai/Kia tend to have smaller EV batteries to save on costs so I can’t imagine the EV9 having more than 200 miles of range if costing under $65K. Also battery material costs have skyrocketed 2x-4x lately.

Folks wanting an electric Telluride with 300 miles of range (my guess 110 kWh pack) will probably need to pay $85K. We know Rivian is losing money on R1Ss at $75K. EV6s are $50K+ with a 77 kWh pack and it’s pretty barebones compared to a Telluride.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Looks like a Ford Flex and Rivian had a baby. Not bad looking, but I suppose we will see how much of it survives for production.

One EV that I think will do well once it starts selling is the Fisker Ocean, and it does look like a more traditional SUV to me if that is what OP is searching for.

They are going to be built by and using a platform developed by Magna Steyr, a major contract manufacturer that builds for BMW, Mercedes, and others. In fact, Magna makes all I-Paces for Jaguar.

Anyway, because of the Magna connection, I think they have a much higher chance of success then any of the number of new EV manufacturing hopefuls out there.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These large SUVs will have terrible efficiency numbers and Hyundai/Kia tend to have smaller EV batteries to save on costs so I can’t imagine the EV9 having more than 200 miles of range if costing under $65K. Also battery material costs have skyrocketed 2x-4x lately.
I've been following the Fisker Ocean and it looks promising in terms of promised tech and design (and monthly "rental" pricing) but it's a little small. I do appreciate that it has more of a traditional SUV design.

One EV that I think will do well once it starts selling is the Fisker Ocean, and it does look like a more traditional SUV to me if that is what OP is searching for.
If Ford can build Lightnings with 98 kwH and 131 kwH battery packs, then surely Hyundai Group can offer a SUV with a 100+ kwH battery pack? I don't think that the tech for battery pack size is the impediment, but more likely the cost as you mentioned.

Reactions: ARK

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've been following the Fisker Ocean and it looks promising in terms of promised tech and design (and monthly "rental" pricing) but it's a little small. I do appreciate that it has more of a traditional SUV design.

If Ford can build Lightnings with 98 kwH and 131 kwH battery packs, then surely Hyundai Group can offer a SUV with a 100+ kwH battery pack? I don't think that the tech for battery pack size is the impediment, but more likely the cost as you mentioned.
Ford secured materials before the 200% rise. 2023 Mach-Es will be $5000 more in some configs. Hyundai and Kia silently bumped 2022 Ioniq 5 and EV6 prices $500 soon after launch and invoice price is basically MSRP so dealers will continue to add $5K to $10K markups. They do not have a “retail” ordering system also.

As for Fisker… I highly doubt they will ship the LFP $39K trim until 2024 or 2025. You will see a trickle of $69K Extreme or Launch editions until they can cost costs or improve production efficiency.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The production car is coming along nicely- will be slightly shorter than the Telluride. Of all the EVs, I'm probably looking forward to this one the most as it has a traditional SUV style rather than the lifted wagons we've been getting from other manufacturers. Just wary of the Hyundai/Kia dealerships.

EV9 won't qualify for tax credit under the new plan unless Hyundai starts building EVs at their new Georgia plant but this isn't due until 2024.

kia-1.jpg

kia-3.jpg

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The production car is coming along nicely- will be slightly shorter than the Telluride. Of all the EVs, I'm probably looking forward to this one the most as it has a traditional SUV style rather than the lifted wagons we've been getting from other manufacturers. Just wary of the Hyundai/Kia dealerships.

EV9 won't qualify for tax credit under the new plan unless Hyundai starts building EVs at their new Georgia plant but this isn't due until 2024.

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME vs. the 2023 Kia EV9 kia-3

Truly a vehicle only a mother could love 🤮

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I want a Telluride EV.. .I don't want an EV6 as a three-row SUV with the weird haptic/touch controls and a lesser feature set.

Telluride has amazing visibility, physical controls for everything (AC, volume, shifter), ventilated seats, and a full set of safety features (360 camera, 4 front and 4 rear ultra sonic sensors, oodles of cameras, an almost hands-free HDA cruise control, blind spot alerts, rear cross-traffic detection that make the Mach-E implementation feel crude and ancient). It's quiet, smooth, and spacious inside.

Make it happen because the Telluride is built in Georgia!