Bonehead

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Not sure why they say the "claimed range" of the MME is 379, but it's kinda cool that it came in 1st place.

Sponsored

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
To be honest, this isn't such a good thing as it might seem from the headlines. The one and only reason it's number one in that test is because it has the biggest battery (by far) of all test vehicles.

The real truth is it's the WORST efficiënt of the 9 (together with the porsche...(!)).

The MME does 3.4 miles per kWh where the rest does their job simply better.
Some with a small margin of 0.1 but some also + 15% (tesla M3).

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
To be honest, this isn't such a good thing as it might seem from the headlines. The one and only reason it's number one in that test is because it has the biggest battery (by far) of all test vehicles.

The real truth is it's the WORST efficiënt of the 9 (together with the porsche...(!)).

No doubt you are right, but I couldn't care less.

I'm not buying a $63,000 car for a few pennies of extra fuel efficiency.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
IMO, these BEV range tests seriously need to starting taking in account not just the range but also the time taken to recharge and recover that range, for the average person once BEVs got into the 150 - 200 mile range it was more than sufficient range to cover the day to day stuff even in the worst range zapping weather.

The point a which needing to use the maximum range from full will now typically tend to be when the vehicle is going to be used on a road trip so having a few more miles of additional range is meaningless if you are still sitting at the charge station when everyone else is long gone.

The mach-e has lets be honest a pathetic DCFC rate above 80% so that means that a large chunk of that additional range can only get to be used inline with a very long charge time. Lets hope that ford in time will fix the DCFC charge curve above 80% and let it remain at its peak much longer and the reason for not doing so is just the result of some overly conservative thinking and not poor engineering that can never be fixed via OTA update

After all it is all well and good offsetting a little less efficiency with a larger battery when you can charge at taycan speeds., not so much when you can't

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
No doubt you are right, but I couldn't care less.

I'm not buying a $63,000 car for a few pennies of extra fuel efficiency.

Offcourse but this isn't a $ vs mi test either (purchase wise). I was just pointing out that this test doesn't mean a lot if you don't put the outcome against other aspects such as price and/or miles per $.
The new mercedes EQS would get even much further than the MME but then everybody would say it's not a fair comparison as it's much more expensive.
Sure, the MME isn't an expensive car for what you get on kWh but I bet there are cheaper cars for that matter which get further per $ for the car and also per $ in range.

curiousurick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Infinite Blue
Country flag
The other thing to consider is that this is an SUV. It’s not the most efficient and it only wins by having a bigger battery, but most of these are sedans. And it’s one of the biggest SUVs in the lineup. It would be like complaining of an Escape getting worse MPG than a Corolla.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
As others have noted, efficiency is virtually meaningless to most people. Where I live, the efficiency advantage of the MYLR over the MME 4X was less than $100 per year. Range is more meaningful.

Last edited:

ToddH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E RWD X Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a LR RWD Premium and have taken it on many long range trips. The latest was a trip from San Jose, CA to Manchester, CA ( about 200 miles up the Northern California coastline). It had a little bit of city driving, about 90 miles of freeway driving and about 90 miles of country highway driving. Speed limit was pretty much obeyed (occasionally a couple of mph over or under) for the trip each way. For the most part, 65 MPH on the freeway and 55 MPH on the country highways. I've made this round trip twice now and my range on both occasions was listed by the Guess O' Meter as 330 miles. That seemed pretty accurate because when I finished the trip, the remaining battery percentage seemed to indicate that I could easily travel the additional 130 miles.

I didn't buy the Mach E with the idea that I was going to drive it fast or look for it to win the stop light drag race. I bought it with the idea that it would be reasonably comfortable and allow me to drive it cross country without having to stay in the slow lane to make it to the next charger. So far that has worked including a trip to the Phoenix, AZ area with higher speed limits. The fact that I'm getting better than expected range is just a bonus. Bottom line is that I'm a little perplexed by their range result for the Mach E. I usually get a better result and my Miles per KWH would be more around 3.7 or 3.8. Of course, the old warnings about "your mileage may vary" apply.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
For the time being, eking that last 10% to 15% of efficiency out an electric vehicle isn't top priority for manufacturers. At this point, just having the vehicle available and able to deliver competitive results such as range and performance is an achievement in and of itself. As we move on toward 2030 and offering an EV in every segment has become the new price of entry in the industry, efficiency becomes more important. Battery cost will have come down by then, but you still don't want to be putting ~10 kWh more in all of your vehicles than necessary. Not only does that add cost, but it also adds weight to the vehicle and increases charge time for the owner.

Tesla and Hyundai Motor Corp. are the leaders in this area for now, but that may be temporary as powertrain and cell tech becomes more commoditized. There will always be leaders pushing the envelope just a bit further than the competition in some specific cases, but expect the playing field to be much more level next decade.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag

True but I prefer a smooth ride and QUIET car that handles well and is fun and all the rest. So many others are more efficient but loud and tinny.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag

Exactly, the idea to add range by adding batteries is a catch 22. The heavier the car is the less efficient it is and the longer it takes to charge. Sure you can develop faster chargers but then your battery suffers.

They really need to focus more on efficiency over range, especially since you can obviously fudge the numbers.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Exactly, the idea to add range by adding batteries is a catch 22. The heavier the car is the less efficient it is and the longer it takes to charge. Sure you can develop faster chargers but then your battery suffers.

They really need to focus more on efficiency over range, especially since you can obviously fudge the numbers.
More depends on aero. So if one car is the best aero, do we really want all other autos to look the same. Do you really want to remove all the things that look nicer or nicer inside the car to weigh less?

IF battery is the true cost right now also shouldn't the one with way less battery cost a lot less?

Guess All BEVs should be on aero wheels also.

Almost all charging is done at home or level 2 So the DC fast charging speed talk is more of the ghost talk in the room. Auto report back in may survey over 5,000 BEV owners. During the first year of ownership right at 71% said they never DC fast-charged even once. 85% said they did it less than 5 times. The big kicker only 3% said they have to DC fast charge one to 2 times a month.

Truth is everything but the tech side of the battery is over-talked about. The last time I checked certain foods are better for your body and give you more energy. Why are we eating so many different kinds of food that give us no benefits? Because we have choices and haven different choices makes everything better.
Sponsored

Last edited: