Mobile EVSE that can charge at 120v 24A?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Pretty sure the MME does not supports 120v 24a

I do have a 120/240v adjustable evse. And have used it on a dryer circuit 240v 24a. Before I had a fusion phev and it did not support anything above 12a @120v
Sponsored

Jay_in_Austin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No. My EVSE is working correctly and the plugs were fully inserted. I checked both plugs at 120VAC and 240VAC input voltage. The control pulse duty cycle stayed at the 12 amp limit for both voltages with the 120V plug and at the 32 amp limit for the 240V plug.

That's not what I expected since I assumed the current limit was set by the input voltage. The EVSE has some way of knowing which plug is inserted and uses that information to set the current limit. I'll do some more investigation on the means used to tell which plug is connected.

If you have actually checked your EVSE at different voltages, tell me your results.
I repeated my tests on the Ford EVSE with the same results as I got earlier. The charging current limit set by the EVSE only depends on which plug adapter is connected to the unit.

Here are some things I checked:
1. The current is not changed by Line-to-Neutral voltage or Line-to-Line voltage.
2. The current is not changed by Neutral-to-Ground voltage or Line 2-to-Ground voltage.
3. There are no significant differences in resistances or capacitances between the two adapters.
4. There are no mechanical switches that I can locate.
5. There don't seem to be any magnets in either of the adapters.

Maybe I am overlooking something but it seems to me that there must be something like the security chip in car keys that tells the EVSE which plug adapter is being uses. That seems like an expensive way to set maximum charging current.

Any thoughts on what I have not checked? The engineer that designed this thing is probably laughing at me right now.