Model S Plaid & Mach E Rt 1 Roadtrip by MKBHD

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Personally, I research any road trip route extensively at home first to know where all the charges are that I plan to use, and any alternates for backup. I don't just get in the car and go without knowing I can get a route to work. There's still many routes that just aren't covered well yet. When it isn't, I'll take our Escape instead if I need to. I won't take a BEV on a road trip unless I'm fairly confident in the charging route.

I don't use the Ford nav. I'm a Google Maps guy. I use it heavily at home and on my phone. So I use it in the car too (Android Auto). I bookmark my planned chargers ahead of time. But I usually remember them all anyway after researching first. I just have AA navigate from leg to leg ("Hey Google, navigate to Green River Utah Electrify America").

I've done 3 road trips through CO/UT/NV/CA. Done 40+ DCFC charges. EA is far and away the preferred charging choice for it's consistency and dependability. Hasn't been perfect, but I've never left a station without getting a charge. 2 were slowed (41 kW), and maybe a quarter had glitches getting the session started (various issues with phone connectivity, the EA app, specific chargers at the station, etc). Annoyances to plow through. But 75% of my EA sessions were problem-free. And none of them ever failed once I got the session going past the first minute.

I've used a few ChargePoint DCFCs too with success, but they were newer chargers (the old Efacec machines are reportedly incompatibale, so I always check Plugshare first to make sure it's not those).

I know the goal for the industry is to be able to "just get in the car and go" like an ICE car can. We're not there yet, but it gets closer every year. That will take lots of DCFC station redundancy like we have with gas stations. That rarely exists yet.
Thanks, I appreciate the tips. That is a good solution.
Sponsored

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Actually, the vast majority of reports are that SOME of the stations at a location don't work but at least 1 station worked so drivers can get a charge. Yes, sometimes the stations charge at a paltry 34kw, but a completely unavailable station is rare. @Mach-E VLOG, @OutofSpecKyle, @dbsb3233, that guy sergio, and a ton of other road warriors here have plenty of successful road trips without running into a station that is completely down.

I'm done going around in circles.
I was sorta ignoring this thread because I didn't really think too much of the "testing procedures" used in this video. I also don't like when someone just tells us what happened instead of showing us. Nice graphics used in the video, but I want to see what really happened.

Now that I've been mentioned, I'll add in my own thoughts.

First, I looked at the video and there was a red flag right off the start. I mapped the route in FordPass and ABRP like I normally would for my road trips. Both of those apps planned a stop at EA in Albany, NY. In the video they skipped that. Why? We don't know. They said the car routed them to some other charger that was broken. When did they have it route them? When they were low on charge or before they started?

And yes, a broken charger is a problem. But, what what was actually wrong? He said it was out of order. Was there no power? Did it have an error? Did they try one stall and give up or did they move stalls?

One other note about the hypocrisy by Tesla fans with these range tests. If Edmunds or whoever does one that shows the Mach-E doing well, the say it was influenced by advertising money. But when Marquees Brownlee does one, they don't see any issues. Yet, this guy promotes his Tesla referral code and supposedly ranks in the "Top 5" of all Tesla referrers. Do you think that might influence him?

I've posted on here multiple times videos of road trips that I have done with no issues. I show the route planning in the car and each charging stop in detail. I think it makes for a more boring video, but it is proof that I'm not "cheating" in anyway. Even so, I've had Tesla stans accuse me of being biased because of my 3,000 subscribers on YouTube. Or they claim I must be paid by Ford.

So in the end, I think this video was flawed and I've pretty much disregarded it.

If you are considering a Mach-E, you do have to know a little bit about the CCS network. It isn't perfect now. If you take road trips to Wyoming or the Dakotas, don't buy a Mach-E (I've said that in my videos).

For me, the Mach-E has been great. I've driven to San Diego, Santa Fe, and all over Colorado from Denver. The CCS charging network has been equal to or even better than the SuperCharger network. Evidence one... Charging in the little towns like Fairplay or Carbondale, Colorado where Superchargers are no where to be found. Two... Even at home, I have 2 CCS charging stations within 2 miles but the nearest SuperCharger is 25 minutes away (in no traffic). Three... Lookup Beaver Utah's Supercharger in the news. This summer I drove through that area and charged at the EA station there. One exit away from EA is the Tesla SuperCharger. A week or so ago, it failed and stranded Teslas there for many hours. I don't point that out like a "gotcha." It is more of a reminder that any station can fail. Heck, I've been to gas stations that lost power and couldn't pump gas. With gas stations, there is usually another across the street. But we are in the early stages of charging stations and if one fails out in the deserts of Utah, you are pretty much stuck.

And that brings me to my final point. Yes, the Tesla SuperCharger network has more stations right now. But I think CCS is catching up quickly. I chose the Mach-E partly because I wanted to support the CCS network. Tesla is proprietary and I just think that is stupid. I get the history and timing of it, but I think proprietary charging in 2021 is just stupid. They've announced they are opening up their network, but I don't know if I believe they will. They could do like they have in Europe and just adapt the CCS standard like every other manufacturer.

We may have some growing pains with the Mach-E and CCS. But I think it will get way better in the next few years and I think it is better overall for the adoption of EVs if ALL manufacturers use the same standard.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Not to be pedantic, but this is EXACTLY the point I have been trying to make that you've been arguing about.

His route illustrates we're not yet at the ultimate goal. A different route would not have demonstrated that. Yet another could have proven even Tesla isn't there. He framed his test as being "scientific" and proving a Tesla is similar to an ICE and the Mach E is far from it. That's bullshit because he stacked the deck in favor of the Tesla.
You could insert any other CCS EV right now into this trip and they would have experienced the same issue with the route. Even the Porsche. We all agree we're early to the EV party so we're limited in some cases on trips. I can travel from Augusta GA to Crystal River florida and make 2 stops as long as I take the freeways which are 30 miles longer then if I travel the back roads which don't have any chargers to use. 10 years from now may be a different story. We'll see if Tesla opening their Supercharger network to everyone else improves our travel opportunities. I use my car for daily commute and maybe a short mileage (250-300) trip but if I'm going farther then that, probably taking the Range Rover lol

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was sorta ignoring this thread because I didn't really think too much of the "testing procedures" used in this video. I also don't like when someone just tells us what happened instead of showing us. Nice graphics used in the video, but I want to see what really happened.

First, I looked at the video and there was a red flag right off the start. I mapped the route in FordPass and ABRP like I normally would for my road trips. Both of those apps planned a stop at EA in Albany, NY. In the video they skipped that. Why? We don't know. They said the car routed them to some other charger that was broken. When did they have it route them? When they were low on charge or before they started?

And yes, a broken charger is a problem. But, what what was actually wrong? He said it was out of order. Was there no power? Did it have an error? Did they try one stall and give up or did they move stalls?

One other note about the hypocrisy by Tesla fans with these range tests. If Edmunds or whoever does one that shows the Mach-E doing well, the say it was influenced by advertising money. But when Marquees Brownlee does one, they don't see any issues. Yet, this guy promotes his Tesla referral code and supposedly ranks in the "Top 5" of all Tesla referrers. Do you think that might influence him?

I've posted on here multiple times videos of road trips that I have done with no issues. I show the route planning in the car and each charging stop in detail. I think it makes for a more boring video, but it is proof that I'm not "cheating" in anyway. Even so, I've had Tesla stans accuse me of being biased because of my 3,000 subscribers on YouTube. Or they claim I must be paid by Ford.

So in the end, I think this video was flawed and I've pretty much disregarded it.

If you are considering a Mach-E, you do have to know a little bit about the CCS network. It isn't perfect now. If you take road trips to Wyoming or the Dakotas, don't buy a Mach-E (I've said that in my videos).

For me, the Mach-E has been great. I've driven to San Diego, Santa Fe, and all over Colorado from Denver. The CCS charging network has been equal to or even better than the SuperCharger network. Evidence one... Charging in the little towns like Fairplay or Carbondale, Colorado where Superchargers are no where to be found. Two... Even at home, I have 2 CCS charging stations within 2 miles but the nearest SuperCharger is 25 minutes away (in no traffic). Three... Lookup Beaver Utah's Supercharger in the news. This summer I drove through that area and charged at the EA station there. One exit away from EA is the Tesla SuperCharger. A week or so ago, it failed and stranded Teslas there for many hours. I don't point that out like a "gotcha." It is more of a reminder that any station can fail. Heck, I've been to gas stations that lost power and couldn't pump gas. With gas stations, there is usually another across the street. But we are in the early stages of charging stations and if one fails out in the deserts of Utah, you are pretty much stuck.

And that brings me to my final point. Yes, the Tesla SuperCharger network has more stations right now. But I think CCS is catching up quickly. I chose the Mach-E partly because I wanted to support the CCS network. Tesla is proprietary and I just think that is stupid. I get the history and timing of it, but I think proprietary charging in 2021 is just stupid. They've announced they are opening up their network, but I don't know if I believe they will. They could do like they have in Europe and just adapt the CCS standard like every other manufacturer.

We may have some growing pains with the Mach-E and CCS. But I think it will get way better in the next few years and I think it is better overall for the adoption of EVs if ALL manufacturers use the same standard.
Exactly. Charging has to be improved for ALL EV's, although it is workable in most cases. This video is 1 data point and not representative of what the car CAN DO nor what it DOES DO on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Thanks for your input! As I've said, people on this forum are going to be the most experienced and confident when it comes to road-tripping an EV. We know to research the route and use (sometimes multiple) apps to figure out the best way to go. Heck you even made a useful video about how best to use the in-car system and apps.

However, when Lightnings and other prominent EVs hit the market I do think stories similar to Marques' video will become more and more common. It's already quite common here on this board and on Facebook.

But like you said, growing pains...and the next few years definitely will get better and better.

Exactly. Charging has to be improved for ALL EV's, although it is workable in most cases. This video is 1 data point and not representative of what the car CAN DO nor what it DOES DO on a regular basis.
Agreed. We KNOW the car can road-trip like a champ, it just takes planning, unfortunately, and will until CCS stations are as common as gas stations (or as reliable as Tesla stations, it seems). Like @Mach-E VLOG said, growing pains.
The sad part is people will see this video as a big negative for the Mustang even though the leg back really wasn't all that bad.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed. We KNOW the car can road-trip like a champ, it just takes planning, unfortunately, and will until CCS stations are as common as gas stations (or as reliable as Tesla stations, it seems). Like @Mach-E VLOG said, growing pains.
The sad part is people will see this video as a big negative for the Mustang even though the leg back really wasn't all that bad.
I liken it to the choice to buy a BEV at all. Can be summed up with 2 words... it depends.

BEVs are good fits for some consumers, but far from all. If you have a house with a garage where you can easily charge at cheap residential rates, probably yes. Otherwise probably not, unless you have dependable L2 at work or your apartment/condo or something. Similar with length of commute, your typical climate, your region, and other factors.

Road trips are the same way... it depends on the route. Some routes are well covered, others not. Most interstates are getting pretty good (but not all yet), while off-interstate is very hit&miss.

It just depends.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I have to say that this video was actually very fair to the Mach-E and the current state of charging. The Ford navigation system is very sub-par and you have a lot better luck using third party tools like ABRP. My experience about EA chargers has been very consistent with the video as well. Many are broken, have relatively poor speeds, etc. It will only get better, but I have to give credit for this being pretty fair.

one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag

The sticking point of the video was that the Tesla Navigation system gave vital reliable information on the stations (whether there were failed ones, how many stalls, how many people at the stalls, etc) which made the experience easier and more predictable. Yes, a station can fail for whatever reason and yes even Teslas can be stranded. However, you'd want to know that ahead of time, and that info would most likely have been communicated to other Tesla drivers so they knew to avoid that charger. That's the kind of vital information the Ford Nav needs. Had the Mach-E drivers obtained reliable stall info on the way, they could have avoided that route completely and saved a ton of time.

I saw nothing wrong with that video. It simply showed that Ford needs to work on their navigation system. The driver should not have had to switch to another mapping system for more reliable information.

Sure, you can cherry pick a route with less issues ahead of time, but that wasn't the point of the video. It was just 3 people on a route that had chargers of different types.

Also, you keep harping on Tesla's network being proprietary. They are allowed to have that and don't owe anyone anything(If Ford had one, I'd say the same thing). It has done good for them. Ford has the resources to partner with and improve the charging experience for their customers. That's what they should be concentrating on. Not waiting for Tesla to open up their network or pointing fingers, or making excuses.

If CCS grows and becomes more widespread and reliable surpassing the Supercharger network, that would be great. Better for everyone. They can all coexist.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree that this was really more of drawback of chargers, and the nav system info.

Unfortunately the impression it leaves at first glance is more about the car's range/charging. Which it isn't.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
The sticking point of the video was that the Tesla Navigation system gave vital reliable information on the stations (whether there were failed ones, how many stalls, how many people at the stalls, etc) which made the experience easier and more predictable. Yes, a station can fail for whatever reason and yes even Teslas can be stranded. However, you'd want to know that ahead of time, and that info would most likely have been communicated to other Tesla drivers so they knew to avoid that charger. That's the kind of vital information the Ford Nav needs. Had the Mach-E drivers obtained reliable stall info on the way, they could have avoided that route completely and saved a ton of time.

I saw nothing wrong with that video. It simply showed that Ford needs to work on their navigation system. The driver should not have had to switch to another mapping system for more reliable information.

Sure, you can cherry pick a route with less issues ahead of time, but that wasn't the point of the video. It was just 3 people on a route that had chargers of different types.

Also, you keep harping on Tesla's network being proprietary. They are allowed to have that and don't owe anyone anything(If Ford had one, I'd say the same thing). It has done good for them. Ford has the resources to partner with and improve the charging experience for their customers. That's what they should be concentrating on. Not waiting for Tesla to open up their network or pointing fingers, or making excuses.

If CCS grows and becomes more widespread and reliable surpassing the Supercharger network, that would be great. Better for everyone. They can all coexist.
Yeah, they should work on getting real time station data. Tesla just added some of that capability just this year. They also added a new thing to let drivers how long they might have to wait for a busy charger. Very cool to see added (not the waiting part though).

But that really has nothing to do with my point that they didn't show how they used the navigation system or why the charger was "not working." As I said, I used FordPass which is the same system as using Sync in the car to plan this route and it plans a stop in Albany. Maybe it didn't do that for them but we don't see anything other than him talking about it.

Also, how do you know this route wasn't cherry picked? Are you suggesting my routes were cherry picked? I planned my trips to visit family and friends. They did theirs for the YouTube channel of a guy that is in the Top 5 for Tesla referrals. TBH, I don't think they cherry picked the route. I think it was just poor execution of the "test."

And yes, they can do whatever they want, but I can choose to support an open standard like CCS. I think that is the better long term solution. I really don't care if they open their network. By the time they do it (in Elon time), I think CCS will probably be pretty much caught up. I'm not "harping" on it. I'm consistent in my belief that proprietary sucks for consumers and it is relevant to this discussion.

BTW... On Twitter there's been some talk of doing a head-to-head between a Mach-E and a Model Y. The Tesla fans where all for it but said the Model Y needed to be driven by someone "well known in the Tesla community" to make it fair. I thought it was funny that they think the Tesla needs someone familiar with Teslas and well known to be fair, but they didn't see a problem having the Mach-E driven by someone that didn't own one.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
A more detailed filming of Day 1 has been uploaded. Based on this more "in the moment" version, the implication seems to be that they were winging it:
  • 6:11 "So, we have 178 miles range left ... 185 miles to the destination"
  • 9:53: "I downloaded the EA app, there's a station back in Albany that we just passed, up ahead all the EA stations are coming-soon, there don't seem to be any options"
  • 10:36: They arrive at an Evolve NY charger (Schroon Lake, it seems) that isn't working; no explanation of how they selected this charging station. The PlugShare logs indicate that station had major issues at the end of August, which matches up with this trip according to Twitter.
In fairness, all the vehicles seemed to be winging it, seeing how far they could push the range. So if the message is that the Tesla infrastructure better supports winging it, that's fair I suppose. But this was not an evaluation of the Mach-E trip routing.

one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag
But that really has nothing to do with my point that they didn't show how they used the navigation system or why the charger was "not working." As I said, I used FordPass which is the same system as using Sync in the car to plan this route and it plans a stop in Albany. Maybe it didn't do that for them but we don't see anything other than him talking about it.
Ok, so let's say you made a stop in Albany and there was a problem, now what? From the video it seemed they decided for the sake of time to use a charger closer to their destination and there were several. What's so unreasonable about that?

Again, the real issue was the lack of info on the chargers.
And yes, they can do whatever they want, but I can choose to support an open standard like CCS. I think that is the better long term solution. I really don't care if they open their network. By the time they do it (in Elon time), I think CCS will probably be pretty much caught up. I'm not "harping" on it. I'm consistent in my belief that proprietary sucks for consumers and it is relevant to this discussion.
There are many choices out there. Many choose Tesla specifically for their Supercharger network. And it certainly doesn't suck for their drivers else there wouldn't be so many of them around. Being proprietary can have its advantages. Ask Apple.
BTW... On Twitter there's been some talk of doing a head-to-head between a Mach-E and a Model Y. The Tesla fans where all for it but said the Model Y needed to be driven by someone "well known in the Tesla community" to make it fair. I thought it was funny that they think the Tesla needs someone familiar with Teslas and well known to be fair, but they didn't see a problem having the Mach-E driven by someone that didn't own one.
With the state of the charging network, it's very likely the Model Y would prevail in any head to head distance race. Bjorn Nyland did a pretty decent video recently with the Y and Mach-E where he drove both on the same route for 1000km. He liked them both for different reasons.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, so let's say you made a stop in Albany and there was a problem, now what? From the video it seemed they decided for the sake of time to use a charger closer to their destination and there were several. What's so unreasonable about that?

Again, the real issue was the lack of info on the chargers.
When you program a route in FordPass, SYNC, etc., it plans out the optimal route for you. Again, when I put it into FordPass, it recommended stopping in Albany because that would be the quickest way to reach the destination.

Yeah... real time data would be good. I agree.

There are many choices out there. Many choose Tesla specifically for their Supercharger network. And it certainly doesn't suck for their drivers else there wouldn't be so many of them around. Being proprietary can have its advantages. Ask Apple.
Proprietary always sucks for consumers. It results in less choice or higher costs.

With the state of the charging network, it's very likely the Model Y would prevail in any head to head distance race. Bjorn Nyland did a pretty decent video recently with the Y and Mach-E where he drove both on the same route for 1000km. He liked them both for different reasons.
I think there is a good chance the Y will come out ahead, but I don't think there will be huge difference or a failure. In the trip I took from Denver to San Diego (and back), I think the CCS network is actually better than the SuperCharger network until you get to Southern California. The Y would probably come out ahead due to efficiency but it wouldn't be by much.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
He's referring to "in total". Sure, proprietary can be nice for the people within that proprietary universe (by keeping other customers out), but for all BEV owners in total, it's worse because it reduces choices and options overall. If half the chargers only work exclusively for one type of BEV, and the other half for for another, then people only have half of all chargers available to them, resulting in less coverage. That's a bad thing.

Right now it's great for Tesla because they get to use both (all the Tesla locations plus one plug at every EA location). They get nearly full coverage. While all CCS (and CHAdeMO) users are limited. That's bad on the whole. The universal "gas station" model is where we need to get to.

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
He's referring to "in total". Sure, proprietary can be nice for the people within that proprietary universe (by keeping other customers out), but for all BEV owners in total, it's worse because it reduces choices and options overall. If half the chargers only work exclusively for one type of BEV, and the other half for for another, then people only have half of all chargers available to them, resulting in less coverage. That's a bad thing.

Right now it's great for Tesla because they get to use both (all the Tesla locations plus one plug at every EA location). They get nearly full coverage. While all CCS (and CHAdeMO) users are limited. That's bad on the whole. The universal "gas station" model is where we need to get to.
And I do think we’ll get there. There’s too much government money for Elon to leave on the table to keep the SuperChargers walled off. An adapter and software update (to the chargers I presume?) should make it all happen. We’ll pay for it but who cares? Most of us charge at home and only need these other chargers on road trips.
Sponsored