Model Y and Ford Mustang Mach E have the same rear issue?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yeah. In today's world of crossover SUVs, 85% of what might rear end you is going to destroy that rear tailgate. Bumper will not protect this car much. We'll see how much impact this has on insurance costs. Tesla Model 3 is surprisingly less than my Audi. So I'm hoping for no surprises here.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I'm not thrilled to see this, but if the rear bumper stays on in the rain, then it's objectively not suffering the same bumper issues as the Model Y. ;)

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I read that article too, but I wouldn't say it's the same issue. Yes, depending on what is hit, some additional body damage is possible for either, but what I saw pointed out got the Y, was how the crease in the body was part of the rear hatch.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The CoPilot system has reverse brake assist, so in many situations it may apply the brakes before hitting something.
Thanks for adding as many/(most?) don't have such a device and are not aware of such.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I think the Y wins on the worse liftgate design. The Y hatch becomes part of the bumper. The MME is slightly higher.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Model Y and Ford Mustang Mach E have the same rear issue? 1594946918146

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I hope they've fixed that problem in the real ones. A couple of inches longer bumper could save lots of money.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Model Y and Ford Mustang Mach E have the same rear issue? bumper too short?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I am not an expert in automobile manufacturing but feel its Unlikely that they would have extended the bumper - require tooling changes, validations, testing etc unless they started the change a while back. If it can be blamed on lack of requirements or regulation or justified in some other way - they would likely get away with it unless the legal costs get to them - we all have seen these sorts of things happen with car companies enough times.

Having said that, lets hope Ford is doing the right and sensible thing here by extending the bumper. Its a needless expense for us and eventually them too.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
The CoPilot system has reverse brake assist, so in many situations it may apply the brakes before hitting something.
I was about to post this but you beat me to it. Mach E reverse brake assist will never allow you to back into something. It's quite robust. If someone wants to test it out the feature is already available on on current Ford vehicles like the lincoln Aviator. As someone else also pointed out the Mach E hatch sits quite high above the rear bumper while the model y hatch extends low into the rear bumper.

Last edited:

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
In my e-Golf it is impossible to hit any object when in reverse, the car will sense and brake (hard), i suspect the Ford will do the same.
When you are rear-ended it will not help...but then more and more cars will also brake due to radar/sensors

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
If you get rear ended then it is not your fault so shouldn't have too much impact on your insurance. If you reverse into something and damage the lift gate as well, then sorry but that is YOUR fault and I have no sympathy. If you are unsure of your surroundings, even if you rely on the reversing camera and sensors, then my advice is to get out and look before attempting any manoeuvre
Sponsored