rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
Does anyone know if the modem in the Mach E will be 5G compatible as every carrier is rolling out their version of 5G?
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
No it's 4G LTE

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Does anyone know if the modem in the Mach E will be 5G compatible as every carrier is rolling out their version of 5G?
They don’t want the cars driving around spreading Covid. ?

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Anyone know is the 4G service will be free or with monthly fees?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anyone know is the 4G service will be free or with monthly fees?
It has been implied that it will be free for a period of time, but not explicitly stated - nor how much the subsequent subscription fee will be.

Just like everything else related to this launch, the marketing folks publish flashy graphics with no substance.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It has been implied that it will be free for a period of time, but not explicitly stated - nor how much the subsequent subscription fee will be.

Just like everything else related to this launch, the marketing folks publish flashy graphics with no substance.
From Page 3 of the Order Guide:
  • FordPass ConnectTM
    — 4G LTE Wi-Fi hot spot connects up to 10 devices4
    • — Remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle5
    • — Schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle5
    • — Locate parked vehicle5
    • — Check vehicle status5
Note:
Ford TelematicsTM and Data Services Prep included for Fleet ONLY: FordPass ConnectTM 4G Wi-Fi Modem provides data to support telematics and data services including but not limited to vehicle location, speed, idle time, fuel, vehicle diagnostics and maintenance alerts. Device enables telematics services through Ford or authorized providers. Activate atwww.fleet.ford.com or call 833-FCS-Ford. (833-327-3673)
  1. 4 Wi-Fi hotspot includes wireless data trial that begins upon AT&T activation and expires at the end of 3 months or when 3GB of data is used, whichever comes first, but cannot extend beyond the trial subscription period for remote features. To activate, go to www.att.com/ford

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Does anyone know the frequencies the modem uses? Wondering if the US export would work as-is in Europe.

Also what workarounds there are to get around ATT locked sim? I believe they use e-sim.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
  • FordPass ConnectTM
Note:
Ford TelematicsTM and Data Services Prep included for Fleet ONLY: FordPass ConnectTM 4G Wi-Fi Modem provides data to support telematics and data services including but not limited to vehicle location, speed, idle time, fuel, vehicle diagnostics and maintenance alerts. Device enables telematics services through Ford or authorized providers. Activate atwww.fleet.ford.com or call 833-FCS-Ford. (833-327-3673)
  1. 4 Wi-Fi hotspot includes wireless data trial that begins upon AT&T activation and expires at the end of 3 months or when 3GB of data is used, whichever comes first, but cannot extend beyond the trial subscription period for remote features. To activate, go to www.att.com/ford
  1. This is an internal Ford document, not intended to be made available to consumers
  2. Some dealers will read and remember it correctly for when a customer asks, others will not. The flood of incorrect responses will further confuse the issue as to who is right and what the real story is
  3. It does not list the subscription price
  4. This excerpt refers to the WiFi hotspot capability - but is hotspot in addition to base 4G/LTE that provides maps and realtime traffic? Do you need 4G for handsfree driving?
  5. 3 months is a very short time

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
  1. This is an internal Ford document, not intended to be made available to consumers
  2. Some dealers will read and remember it correctly for when a customer asks, others will not. The flood of incorrect responses will further confuse the issue as to who is right and what the real story is
  3. It does not list the subscription price
  4. This excerpt refers to the WiFi hotspot capability - but is hotspot in addition to base 4G/LTE that provides maps and realtime traffic? Do you need 4G for handsfree driving?
  5. 3 months is a very short time

Attachments

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • FordPass ConnectTM
I would hope the 4 bullet points would be permanently free, as those are just infrequent, momentary car commands that use very little data. Should be core functions of the car, included for free.

But the hotspot service (connecting the kids' tablets for data, etc) makes sense as a subscription service, of course.

But neither of those seems to address what I think is the most pertinent question: What about use of the console itself for things like streaming music, internet searches, etc? I don't care about hotspot (my phone already has cell data), I care about using apps on the console display directly.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I would hope the 4 bullet points would be permanently free, as those are just infrequent, momentary car commands that use very little data. Should be core functions of the car, included for free.

But the hotspot service (connecting the kids' tablets for data, etc) makes sense as a subscription service, of course.

But neither of those seems to address what I think is the most pertinent question: What about use of the console itself for things like streaming music, internet searches, etc? I don't care about hotspot (my phone already has cell data), I care about using apps on the console display directly.
I have something similar on my 2018 Accord and it’s annual fee of about $100.

I think the only thing that could be free is any OTA updates over LTE (unless they make them WiFi only).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Does anyone know the frequencies the modem uses? Wondering if the US export would work as-is in Europe.

Also what workarounds there are to get around ATT locked sim? I believe they use e-sim.
I suspect none of us will have factual answers on this for quite some time. Possibly we can find out once the service manuals are available? Not sure.

This page lists frequencies and waveforms used by AT&T. You can look up selected carriers in other countries of interest to see what overlap exists.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/at-t-united-states

But as you've pointed out, compatibility will require more than just same-frequencies. You'd need to somehow get the vehicle's modem authorized onto the foreign network, and from there into Ford's data services for that country (which might vary from what they provide in the US, such as different traffic data providers, etc.)

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Currently most other manufacturers charge for their "connected services" but generally offer a free intro period for new purchases. I have 3 years free for "MyHyundai" which lets me remotely lock/unlock/start. I'd imagine Ford adopts a similar option for the Mach-E.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Currently most other manufacturers charge for their "connected services" but generally offer a free intro period for new purchases. I have 3 years free for "MyHyundai" which lets me remotely lock/unlock/start. I'd imagine Ford adopts a similar option for the Mach-E.
If I understand correctly, Ford used to charge a fee (after the new-vehicle period) for the basic connected services like remote start. But then they made these things available without subscription.

So now it's a mixed setup where the basic, Ford owned services are included, and third services that have significant cost to Ford have a subscription fee.

The subscription unlocks access to things like the INRIX parking data, Garmin road data updates, etc.

Some of the subscriptions are a la carte (outside of the main bundle): Sirius radio/streaming, WiFi hotspot for your personal devices.
Sponsored