Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk".

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
You can pull a panel out of your car just as easily as I could pull one out of mine.
Pull the top center panel.
Turn it upside down.
You will see several pins arranged around the periphery of the panel.
They are plastic and can be slid out of their mounting point through a slot in the mount.
The modification blocks the slot so the pins can't be slid out of the slot.
There are three bad possibilities that I have seen.
1. The pin breaks in half making it useless.
2. The pin slides out of the mount and stays attached to the car.
3. The pin separates from the car and the panel and either falls down into the car or goes flying.

I have never been able to remove a panel where all of the pins stayed attached to the panel.

Given that two panels have to be removed to access the 12 volt battery jump points, IMHO, it is a very poor design.

My car is 6 months old and I have received two notifications in Fordpass that my 12 volt battery needs to be replaced. They may be correct because the charging voltage stays at 15 volts throughout a one hour drive. That is an indication that the battery never reaches full charge or the battery charging circuit has failed.
@murphy62 how did you see the battery voltage? Does it show on the instrument panel or main screen somewhere? Or did you have a OBDII plugged in monitoring? Every car I’ve ever had, including my 66, has a volt meter to tell you battery status except I can’t find it on my GTPE.

OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I took cover off and cover cracked. Is it ok to drive car without covers until I get new cover in. Also one clip was already missing, anyone know the part number for the clips.
I would not drive in the rain with the covers off.

Someone gave the part number earlier in this thread.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
I took cover off and cover cracked. Is it ok to drive car without covers until I get new cover in. Also one clip was already missing, anyone know the part number for the clips.
The part number for the clip was posted in this thread back around 5th or 6th post.
Locking Pin
Part #: W720957S300

OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
@murphy62 how did you see the battery voltage? Does it show on the instrument panel or main screen somewhere? Or did you have a OBDII plugged in monitoring? Every car I’ve ever had, including my 66, has a volt meter to tell you battery status except I can’t find it on my GTPE.
I have a ScanGauge II plugged into the OBD 2 connector.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
I have a ScanGauge II plugged into the OBD 2 connector.
That’s what I figured. Crazy FoMoCo didn’t put that valuable info on a screen somewhere. Apparently freezing conditions is important enough to have its own status light, but your CRITICAL LVB, which the car can not operate without is not.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The part number for the clip was posted in this thread back around 5th or 6th post.
Locking Pin
Has anyone found a working replacement on Amazon?

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Details on the flying projectile plastic clips.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ed-but-good-info-for-others.5949/#post-167982

For @murphy62 2. The pin slides out of the mount and stays attached to the car., if the clip is still attached to the car, rotating it 90 degrees can make it easy to remove from MME, to put the clip back in the removable panel track.
In my experience only two clips have stayed attached to the car. Many more went flying some of which were never see again. At least one made it deep into the car but did not make it all of the way to the garage floor. Its probably laying on a highway somewhere.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
For anyone who has lost these it's replacement part:

Locking Pin
thanks. I saw a post awhile back that showed 4 clips for 2.19 and I think that was before everyone starting breaking or losing them because I have not found any that cheap. any idea where is the best place to buy them

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
thanks. I saw a post awhile back that showed 4 clips for 2.19 and I think that was before everyone starting breaking or losing them because I have not found any that cheap. any idea where is the best place to buy them
I got mine directly from Ford and I think it was a pack for $15

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It just takes some patience Googling around, but the shipping costs can kill it too. Here I found some for 2.03, but shipping is another $12. Also, be careful to figure out if the price is per clip, or per bag of four.

Some of the online sellers don't actually have the parts in stock, so it might take weeks or months to actually receive the parts.

Months back I ordered two bags from Lincoln Parts outlet (only three remaining of the 8)
Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
-W720957-S300 Pin - Locking $2.10 (they list over $3 each now) 8 $16.80
Subtotal: $16.80
Economy Shipping: $8.84
Total: $25.64 (for two bags of four).

Too bad there is not an easy way to do a large group buy. But, I think shipping out to members would kill any quantity discount that we could get.

Found this one today, but shipping is another $12
Ford Mustang Mach-E Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk". Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 2.56.45 PM

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Anyone find this part from outside of the overpriced Ford parts bins yet? I was looking around, but it seems that just the Mach-E and the "fleetside" version of the F-150 use this particular panel retainer clip.

I'm thinking of using velcro tape instead.

Here is what the official cowl side panel retainer clip looks like (photo is from someone's post in another thread):

Ford Mustang Mach-E Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk". 20210505 quarter trim panel plastic clips

Here's the closest I've found on Amazon so far, but it definitely isn't the right shape:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk". 1645681696699