Lelandjn

First Name
Leland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4x
Country flag
I've had my Mach E4x about 6 weeks now and really enjoy driving it, especially in 1 pedal mode. However, I'm surprised by the amount of brake dust that accumulates on the front wheels on a car with almost 50/50 weight distribution. I'm interested in your all's experiences, especially those who don't use 1 pedal to see whether 1 pedal driving is causing more brake wear than the other driving modes.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Being that I do not have a MME yet, take this with a big grain of salt. I have a car that is heavy weight bias toward the rear (Pontiac Fiero GT). It puts more dust on its front wheels than its rears. Front brakes do the majority of your braking, so it would follow that more wear occurs on the front brakes as well.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Very timely post! I just cleaned the brake dust off the front wheels today. This makes the 2nd time in two weeks and just over 500 miles.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have had very little brake dust accumulation. I usually wash the car every 2 weeks at most though. Sometimes it is weekly so maybe that isn't enough time to let it build up to notice?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I have found it dwindles. 8 weeks and 3600 miles I now get very little. Seating if the pads maybe? I noticed it heavy to start out too.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ah, brake dust, the bane of the clean wheel freakā€™s existence. Seriously though, Iā€™m actually glad to hear the front pads are dusting a good amount. That is the sign of a semi-metallic pad formula with a bit of aggressiveness, as opposed to the ceramic, no dust formulations that donā€™t have the initial bite or fade resistance.

I hope the Ford brake engineers specified a semi-metallic pad to take full advantage of those nice Brembo supplied 4-piston fixed calipers up front.

And yes, Iā€™m aware that the friction brakes donā€™t see as much use on EVs, however, when one handles as well as the Mach E, many of us will give them a serious workout on backroads. I reckon thatā€™s why they added the summer tires option for $250 recently, glad I ordered that.

OP
OP

Lelandjn

First Name
Leland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4x
Country flag
3600+ miles and little to no pad dust
I'm at just under 3,000 miles - am curious whether you use 1 pedal driving? I don't drive very aggressively but with 1 pedal there is much more braking involved - my understanding is that it's a combination of regeneration and actual brake use.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I'm at just under 3,000 miles - am curious whether you use 1 pedal driving? I don't drive very aggressively but with 1 pedal there is much more braking involved - my understanding is that it's a combination of regeneration and actual brake use.

I use 1 pedal driving and currently unbridled. Started with Engaged. Bought as a Demo and it had 2300 miles on it, currently over 3600.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
Iā€™m with the OP. Really disappointed with the huge amounts of brake dust generated by the oem pads, especially since I exclusively use one pedal driving. Iā€™m a road racer/autocrosser so no stranger to high performance brake pad dust issues, but this is annoying for a street pad on a crossover.

Looks to be the same calipers and pad compound as my 2015 performance pack Mustang which also dusted like crazy. At least with it I was actually using the brakes! ?

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I thought about this thread while out riding with my Wife driving. She is hard on brakes! No wonder our cars produce so much brake dust!! I have cleaned the wheels several times already with only 700 miles on the car!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I use 1PD exclusively - I haven't used the brake pedal more then 10 times in 4000 miles (other than to start and shift to D). I've never seen any brake pad dust.

I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that 1PD uses only regen, no mechanical brakes (other than to hold the car once stopped).

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
I did my first tire rotation at 6200 miles last week and while I knew the insides of the wheels were dirty I was still pretty surprised how much brake dust accumulates from the Mach-E. Since we bought the Mach-E I've tried to keep up with cleaning the insides of the wheels but I have plenty of excuses for not doing so but with a tire rotation I always clean the inside of the wheels...

6200 Miles with sporadic cleaning on the inside...

Ford Mustang Mach-E More brake dust than expected IMG_0123 - Copy

All cleaned up and ready for what will be a 3200+ mile road trip...

Ford Mustang Mach-E More brake dust than expected IMG_0124 - Copy

We did the 3200+ mile road trip and this is what the wheels look like now :mad::mad::mad:

Ford Mustang Mach-E More brake dust than expected IMG_0163 - Copy

My 2020 Fusion Hybrid Plug-in leaves no brake dust at all so this is pretty disappointing for the Mach-E!

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I have one wheel that seems to be a brake dust creator. It looks like I drive it through a brick foundry. Car just went through it's 10k service and they didn't say anything about brakes. I have not really investigated it much.

Mach-e4x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e 4x, 2016 Mazda CX5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have one wheel that seems to be a brake dust creator. It looks like I drive it through a brick foundry. Car just went through it's 10k service and they didn't say anything about brakes. I have not really investigated it much.
You need to get that wheel and brake checked ASAP.
Sponsored