blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Correct. So, by not brake-torquing it took you .52 seconds to hit the 1 ft. Roll out! An eternity. So, the 3.67 looks good but the reality is it took 4.19 to actually hit 60 on that run. And it was obvious on the G trace with a super slow ramp up. Usually it’s .2-.3 secs.
So, there is the additional .2-3 secs you can take off your next 0-80 run. Brake-torque it!
What's crazy to me is that without brake launching the 1ft roll out is the same as a brake launch.

Which is interesting because that means essentially you have the option to slam power into the motors right at the beginning and it tapers down quicker, or it has a slow buildup to a high power level and then tapers down.

Because if the power curve was the same on both then the 4.2 second run should have pretty much been a 4 second with 1ft rollout.

If that makes sense.
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
What's crazy to me is that without brake launching the 1ft roll out is the same as a brake launch.

Which is interesting because that means essentially you have the option to slam power into the motors right at the beginning and it tapers down quicker, or it has a slow buildup to a high power level and then tapers down.

Because if the power curve was the same on both then the 4.2 second run should have pretty much been a 4 second with 1ft rollout.

If that makes sense.
Sort of. Ford has programmed a slight delay in power application when you just flat foot the throttle as opposed to a brake-torqued launch. I recall this from my loaner 4X Dragy runs as well (damn why did I delete those?). Brake torque got a 4.8 and just mashing throttle got a 4.9-5.0 but the actual non-rollout times were like 5.0 and 5.5 respectively.
Pretty sure Ford chose that calibration for all of the customers new to EVs who may be put off by instantaneous response right as the throttle goes down.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Sort of. Ford has programmed a slight delay in power application when you just flat foot the throttle as opposed to a brake-torqued launch. I recall this from my loaner 4X Dragy runs as well (damn why did I delete those?). Brake torque got a 4.8 and just mashing throttle got a 4.9-5.0 but the actual non-rollout times were like 5.0 and 5.5 respectively.
Pretty sure Ford chose that calibration for all of the customers new to EVs who may be put off by instantaneous response right as the throttle goes down.
Perhaps Ford shouldn't choose, and instead make this user selectable?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Well, all makers choose throttle calibrations for vehicle specific reasons. Your typical lower power 4 cyl econobox will have aggressive throttle tip-in so it feels quicker than it really is. Conversely, you don’t do that with higher HP vehicles because it makes driving smoothly difficult, especially when it’s wet or icy out.
Since the MME can be considered higher Power in any form due to its Torque alone, I’d say Ford was wise to calibrate the throttle in this manner.

Tesla doesn’t give a shit. ??‍♂

But yes, I believe the different drive modes really should adjust throttle sensitivity if they don’t already.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mash the pedal = Ford Mode
Brake Launch = Tesla all power right away mode

lol
With the Teslas without drag strip mode, you just mash the accelerator. Most use Brake Hold, so the car applies the physical brakes for you. No brake torquing (spelling?) needed.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
Well, all makers choose throttle calibrations for vehicle specific reasons. Your typical lower power 4 cyl econobox will have aggressive throttle tip-in so it feels quicker than it really is. Conversely, you don’t do that with higher HP vehicles because it makes driving smoothly difficult, especially when it’s wet or icy out.
Since the MME can be considered higher Power in any form due to its Torque alone, I’d say Ford was wise to calibrate the throttle in this manner.

Tesla doesn’t give a shit. ??‍♂

But yes, I believe the different drive modes really should adjust throttle sensitivity if they don’t already.
Each drive mode has different throttle mapping. Unbridled has a much more responsive throttle which is good for summer. I like this mode best on my MME First Edition.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
It already should be doing that under the different modes, whisper mode is supposed to be the slow everything down mode while there really should be no delay in unbridled mode, if it has then that needs fixing.

Just give people the instant response in unbridled as not everyone is limited to having digital feet that are only capable of a binary operation but instead are capable of being able to modulate the go pedal.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Yeah a half second of rollout is BS. I wouldn't consider that a valid run.
I don't see it as a valid run either. I mean, it was valid but the motor response just takes a lot longer. When I held the brake it was a quarter second rollout and a much better time.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
?. A bunch of maybes and I don’t knows, imagine that. And 4Xs have gone [email protected] in MT’s hands and 13.6@103 with C&D, so the author picked the slow, wintertime 4X run to cite.
At least he didn’t mention the overwhelming fear of 2.0Ts permeating the forum. ?
What is this, he couldn't be bothered to post an appropriate sum up of our 98 pages of rants?

Weak reporting lol. Pretty awesome though that this is out there and also a notable outlet has contacted ford directly for an answer, even if they don't get a reply. It's starting to make a real push towards a result.

Little ol' macheforums pushing the train forward one rant at a time.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Yeah, hopefully all of the rants and the 2 thread summary’s are entertaining the media outlets that have visited the threads. And also the @Ford Motor Company reps blessed with the task of monitoring this shitshow.
Sponsored