Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
New times slips over on Facebook GT group. 12.267 sec 104.99 mph. People are learning to drive them. They have only been out less then two months.
That’s good. But nobody is learning to drive an extra 5-10mph, unfortunately. Launch technique/prepped surface is gonna get it into the 12.0-12.2s but MPH is a function of HP, and only 5 secs of 100% power is controlling the MPH outcome.
Sponsored

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That’s good. But nobody is learning to drive an extra 5-10mph, unfortunately. Launch technique/prepped surface is gonna get it into the 12.0-12.2s but MPH is a function of HP, and only 5 secs of 100% power is controlling the MPH outcome.
According to the thread about the 5 sec boost, the motor is giving 487 hp for 5 sec, so 7 hp above standard. If I remember correctly from other posts, the front and rear motors on the GTPE have over 500hp combined, so there is plenty in reserve to tap. If Ford thinks they can sell more GTPEs if they give it better 1/4 mile results, maybe they will give it more than a 7 hp boost for more than 5 seconds in an OTA update.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
According to the thread about the 5 sec boost, the motor is giving 487 hp for 5 sec, so 7 hp above standard. If I remember correctly from other posts, the front and rear motors on the GTPE have over 500hp combined, so there is plenty in reserve to tap. If Ford thinks they can sell more GTPEs if they give it better 1/4 mile results, maybe they will give it more than a 7 hp boost for more than 5 seconds in an OTA update.
It’s not a 7 hp boost.

They just measure power differently across the pond.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
No. That referred to 487 PS, which is metric HP, or PferdStarke (German) for nerdy types ?. 1.014 * 480 HP = 486.72 PS. Nobody is doing 7 HP boosts ?. Don’t even get me started on their torque measurements being in Newton Meters haha

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
I couldn’t find it on FB, unless it’s in the private group. Screenshot, details?

I wouldn’t think an awd BEV would have much of a learning curve. Not like you’re going to miss a shift or roast the tires.

Good to see at least a decent E/T.
Here are the timeslips from the post.

Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results Screenshot_20211016-065124

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Here are the timeslips from the post.

Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results Screenshot_20211016-065124
Fixin to hit 7.6s in the 1/8th. So, I’ll say this: If Ford unleashes full power through the 1/4 mile, this mofo is gonna bang 11.6-11.7@113-115mph.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Fixin to hit 7.6s in the 1/8th. So, I’ll say this: If Ford unleashes full power through the 1/4 mile, this mofo is gonna bang 11.6-11.7@113-115mph.
Yup…. If….. it would actually beat the car they want to beat (Y performance).

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I couldn’t find it on FB, unless it’s in the private group. Screenshot, details?

I wouldn’t think an awd BEV would have much of a learning curve. Not like you’re going to miss a shift or roast the tires.

Yeah, seems like a lot of work. Usually it's just mash the accelerator for eZ mode EV acceleration.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Yup…. If….. it would actually beat the car they want to beat (Y performance).
Haha, I got the Y Performance covered in my daily driver ? They don’t instill fear in me like they seem to do in others

Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results AFDB1E47-16B8-495B-B431-B6DED2EF9AC4

jeffziss

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT Performance
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

You need to join the Mach E GT Performance group.

Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results 1634602631912

jeffziss

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yeah, seems like a lot of work. Usually it's just mash the accelerator for eZ mode EV acceleration.
Other than staging it correctly and launching it properly, it's not very exciting. I did three runs and was like "okay" but I used to drag race a Fox Mustang and it was a very active 11 seconds of shifting and steering.

jeffziss

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The Nissan leaf used air cooled batteries so comparisons to its battery life are not valid and and while the whole battery warranty has some merit it really only goes so far, for USA owners of the GTPE it has an 8 year / 100000 mile warranty.

Part of the marketing with the porsche taycan had them repeatedly launching it over 20 times in a row from 0-124mph to show how there was a minimal reduction in overall performance as the difference between all the runs was no more than .8 seconds.

Now will overall performance on the taycan be reduced as state of charge is reduced, yes as it is no difference to any other BEV it also has very fast DCFC and as if by magic it also manages to have the same 8 year / 100000 mile warranty on the battery.

Now sure 400v vs 800v is not apples to apples but taken at face value is would appear in one camp engineered the appropriate amount of cooling for the performance targets while the other camp has come up very short.

We have enough data from other 400v EVs to see that they have no problems with providing the maximum power they advertise far beyond what we get with a GTPE. A track session is always a lot more demanding an environment so it throttling back is to be expected and is a valid situation but at present the GTPE is unable to accelerate from a standstill to its top speed using full power even once, that goes far beyond protecting the battery because warranty.
I don't claim to be an engineer, so maybe someone with more knowledge can respond but I believe with the 800v, it is much lower amperage. I believe the amperage is where the heat comes from. I know when running wire, higher amperage requires larger wire because of heat.

You can drag race the Mach E GTPE all day and I don't believe their will be any huge drop in performance. Well, once you battery is below 60%, I believe they start modulating it. I know that below 10% the car has very little power. Yes, I ran mine to 0% just for fun. I did not run it out, it said 2 miles of range left when I plugged it in. Each run was less than 1% battery drain for me. Each 40 second auto-x run was less than 2% battery. Each 15 minutes session on the road course is about 10% of battery. This is where Unbridle Extend comes in. There is a huge difference in power in UE mode but I could run for 25 minutes when the Model 3P had to come in after 13 minutes and he had performance mods to cool is car. I didn't try it in normal Unbridled mode and I regret that but my tires are shot and I needed to make the 3+ hour drive home.

Mfgs are watching DCFC charging, as it is not good for the batteries. We will see exclusions in warranties for people that only DCFC or exceed a certain % of times they charge. Not sure how they would apply that to discharging the batteries as well, but they own the warranty and don't want any risk.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
You can drag race the Mach E GTPE all day and I don't believe their will be any huge drop in performance.
Just watch your power meter on any drag run and look at the greyed out limit, you are not pulling full power at the end of the quarter so it is pretty easy to not have a drop in performance when you only had full power for a minuscule amount of time to begin with.

Yes it is not apples to apples and the taycan has more power but the taycan repeatability test was doing back to back 0-124mph runs, up the runway turn and then straight back down with an average time of 10 seconds, it is not having its power reduced half way through the run to achieve that, they dedicated the required resources to make sure that it could achieve that goal as anyone coming from a 911 will expect it to be able to launch again and again so they had to made sure the taycan lived up Porsche owners expectations.

Now if the standard MO of an ICE mustang GT is for it the power to be halved half way through a run then would could say the mach-e GT team indeed have lived up to expectations of the mustang GT name, yet somehow I don't think so..

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
To add some visual context to go with the power meters most that have them will have some form a grey an upper grey out zone showing limited power, but that doesn't happen half way through a run.

This for example with the polestar 2 power meter the hatching (5) will be when you get the reduced power limits.

Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results 1634606578948

Here is a nice in car video car of it launching from 0-124mph (0-200kph), you can easily see the power meter and you can easily see it build to full power and it stays pegged to the maximum all the way to the the top speed before reducing when top speed is reached, there is no half way party pooping power limiting going on here..

Sponsored