Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
I thought only the GTPE had unbridled extended mode. Apparently the straight GT has it as well.
Sponsored

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
These LG Chem batteries can only survive a few seconds at peak power. Unbridled extend eliminates that top end power for more consistent response around a track so the batteries aren't unpredictability cutting power when you are in a corner, etc. It is also why power seems drop off so hard at high speeds in the 1/4 (because you running at peak power for several seconds before then). Therefore, it should have more power from a 70 or 80 mph roll, but EV motors also lose torque proportional to speed (at constant power) and back EMF effectively lowers the available power further with rpm. Therefore, having a higher battery voltage/SOC will have a bigger impact at higher speeds when the motor is riding the battery's power output.

OsageCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger, VW Atlas
Country flag
Frankly the 3.8ish second 0-60 doesn't bother me. That's still very quick--even if not as advertised. The real problem here is the slower acceleration at highway passing speeds. Like other comparable EVs, the car should pull hard through 90 mph in the event you need to pass.

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
1PD = 1 pedal drive.

I have read some recommended turning it off at the track. I think the assumption is auto hold may be the reason for a delay in acceleration when you put the pedal to the floor. At least in the premium 4xE it seems like there is a delay with power delivery, but I haven't tried turning off 1PD.
I never tried turning it off either.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Nothing like a good Friday night Test and Tune where you ain’t got nothin’ to Tune.

Thanks @Tommy303 for getting more confirmation runs that @Ford Motor Company can use, not that they aren’t already working feverishly to correct the Great 1/4 mile trapspeed Debacle of 2021 already.

Meanwhile, 4X owners, carry on as the trapspeed torchbearers in the interim. ??‍♂

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
Have you been just cruising at highway speeds and then punched it yet? Would be interested to know how much it has left in this scenario.
I did try. From 55 or so it still pulls hard. After 80ish, it's noticeably slower.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Nothing like a good Friday night Test and Tune where you ain’t got nothin’ to Tune.

Thanks @Tommy303 for getting more confirmation runs that @Ford Motor Company can use, not that they aren’t already working feverishly to correct the Great 1/4 mile trapspeed Debacle of 2021 already.

Meanwhile, 4X owners, carry on as the trapspeed torchbearers in the interim. ??‍♂
Hyperbole much? Lol. I haven’t seen any indications that @Ford Motor Company is even looking into the issue

CharleyCarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE In Production
Country flag
I thought only the GTPE had unbridled extended mode. Apparently the straight GT has it as well.
same. One reason I went for PE was the special extend “track only” mode that Ford touted as a PE feature.

turns out it’s also in the GT and it’s actually a go slower mode! ?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Hyperbole much? Lol. I haven’t seen any indications that @Ford Motor Company is even looking into the issue
Yeah, I know. But they know. And are choosing silence until it gets rectified, whatever the fix may be. Sucks but they’ll have plausible deniability that they were aware they shipped like this in that case. Better than to admit you sent them out slow.

They’re already learning from Tesla it would seem.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Uh oh, here we go, the old 50-60 or 80ish debate. Get ready folks ?
Not sure why there’s even a debate when we have the data.

50-70 it’s significantly slower than a Model Y performance. And that’s the standard.

80-100 it’s slower than an Accord. And that’s pathetic.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
A few other points: I doubt that being at 70% would affect the performance THAT much, but I could be wrong. My runs and the other GT PE, (from this site) were both around the same state of charge. There's certainly no place to charge it at the track, so unless it's trailered it isn't gonna be at 100%.
Thanks for running more tests! Great to see more data though I hope like others that the trap speed can be brought up a bit, there is definitely room in the motors.

Regarding voltage and SOC, there is about 8% higher voltage at 100% SOC compared to 70% SOC, which roughly means 8% higher peak power (at higher RPMs when the power is voltage limited).

That is certainly nothing to sneeze at, though I think that the current drop off at higher speeds looks a lot more like a controls issue than just voltage.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah, I know. But they know. And are choosing silence until it gets rectified, whatever the fix may be. Sucks but they’ll have plausible deniability that they were aware they shipped like this in that case. Better than to admit you sent them out slow.

They’re already learning from Tesla it would seem.
But IS there a fix?

Some people (see above) seem to think this is the limit of the motors and battery. Personally that seems unlikely based on what other EV vehicles are capable of, but that’s the theory.

And also, I’ve said it before, if it gets 0-60 in 3.5 and delivers 480 hp 600+ tq, in Fords eyes, what’s to fix?

The high tq, but relatively low hp numbers also gives us a hint as to what’s happening where.

It seems like it’s about 10 mph per 1000 rpm. That means peak tq and peak acceleration happens around 40 mph and by 50-60 mph you are already down 200+ lb ft from max. Hp = tq x rpm/5252.

Basically if it were still making peak tq at 5252 rpm (52 mph or so), it would have over 600 hp. And it doesn’t.
Sponsored