CharleyCarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE In Production
Country flag
But IS there a fix?

Some people (see above) seem to think this is the limit of the motors and battery. Personally that seems unlikely based on what other EV vehicles are capable of, but that’s the theory.

And also, I’ve said it before, if it gets 0-60 in 3.5 and delivers 480 hp 600+ tq, in Fords eyes, what’s to fix?

The high tq, but relatively low hp numbers also gives us a hint as to what’s happening where.

It seems like it’s about 10 mph per 1000 rpm. That means peak tq and peak acceleration happens around 40 mph and by 50-60 mph you are already down 200+ lb ft from max. Hp = tq x rpm/5252.

Basically if it were still making peak tq at 5252 rpm (52 mph or so), it would have over 600 hp. And it doesn’t.
What you’re saying could explain the trend in the tape.

Great 1.865 on 60’, But 5.137 at 330, which is not as quick as I’d expect from that 60’.

indicates it’s dropping off even by 30-40 mph.

Seems early to me to lose the rate of acceleration, but would match what you are saying.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
What you’re saying could explain the trend in the tape.

Great 1.865 on 60’, But 5.137 at 330, which is not as quick as I’d expect from that 60’.

indicates it’s dropping off even by 30-40 mph.

Seems early to me to lose the rate of acceleration, but would match what you are saying.
I think the 0-60 or so is fine based on the numbers.

But they significantly neutered it about those speeds.

The tq curve is designed like a Diesel engine when we want it to be designed like a twin turbo v8.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I think the 0-60 or so is fine based on the numbers.

But they significantly neutered it about those speeds.

The tq curve is designed like a Diesel engine when we want it to be designed like a twin turbo v8.
Well, whoever buys an EV expecting V8 TT power curve is in for disappointment for sure.

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
Thanks to Tommy and others for getting out there to compile the data

Not sure why there’s even a debate when we have the data.

50-70 it’s significantly slower than a Model Y performance. And that’s the standard.

80-100 it’s slower than an Accord. And that’s pathetic.
I haven’t seen any indications that @Ford Motor Company is even looking into the issue
Sadly this is a potential reality we are all unwilling to accept... ? All just desperately hoping @Ford Motor Company does the right thing ??

While all we were ‘promised’ was 0-60 #s, we also bought these with power expectation #s of 480/600+… I didn’t see any asterisk anywhere saying 480hp tapering to >200hp, and in their $70k performance variant to boot… now I’m grasping at straws to make a case here too ?‍♂

@Ford Motor Company please keep passing along our grievances here

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Well, whoever buys an EV expecting V8 TT power curve is in for disappointment for sure.
Uhh… Tesla seems to have zero issues delivering that curve. They set the standard of expectations so that’s kinda what gets our hopes up.

Edit- just looked at a ton of Tesla dynos. The HP curve is basically flat. That’s ideal optimal performance for a 1 speed car. I’m betting if we put a GT or GTPE on the dyno, the hp curve would fall significantly at higher rpm.

What I want: Tesla performance with Ford looks and build quality.

It’s a good thing the Mach E is pretty.

Last edited:

Smurfunit

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Country flag
There are many ICE cars that will outperform BEV's at the higher speeds with repeatable performance. A few years back, a new P100D was embarrassed on a 80-top speed by a garden variety 2011 Mustang GT Brembo with a 3.55 rear. The Tesla, to be fair had already completed some 1/4 mile runs on a warm day-nothing could touch it from a standing start ONCE or TWICE! Later on a closed course, from about 80 on, the Mustang pulled away. We chatted later and the Tesla owner was surprised at how fast a coyote mustang was! I believe the Porsche engineers have solved both the high end speed problems (2 speed) and the repeatability problems with their battery architecture and management systems. I am curious to see what Lucid will bring to the table as they definitely have the battery tech from Formula E and the original designer of the Model S.

tempImageErqd3I.png

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I’m gonna say it…

#NotAMustang

i mean, “The fastest Mustang we’ve ever built 0-60” is also the third slowest Mustang ever in the 1/4 mile? clearly they should have called it the Gelding Mach-E.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I’m gonna say it…

#NotAMustang

i mean, “The fastest Mustang we’ve ever built 0-60” is also the third slowest Mustang ever in the 1/4 mile? clearly they should have called it the Gelding Mach-E.
By what measure is this the third slowest in a quarter mile? Heck it has a faster ET, and more consistent, than I can hit in my GT350. I could theoretically beat it, but a massive driver mod and a perfect launch is needed. It will absolutely smoke just about every pre-coyote GT (stock).

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
By what measure is this the third slowest in a quarter mile? Heck it has a faster ET, and more consistent, than I can hit in my GT350. I could theoretically beat it, but a massive driver mod and a perfect launch is needed. It will absolutely smoke just about every pre-coyote GT (stock).
Clearly, there was some hyperbole in my post. But, the point stands that if they want to brag about performance, they should accountable for the performance or lack there of.

OsageCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger, VW Atlas
Country flag
That's the truly bizarre element to this. How can the GTPE be neutered at highway passing speeds and slower than the non-GT variants. Crazy that Ford remains silent...

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Introduce 2-speed transmission like in Taycan?
I’d love to see what they’re doing with the drive curves. I don’t think they’re anywhere near the real limit of what the car can actually do. They need a Strip mode, and to let it eat when in that mode.
Sponsored