Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
Yes. I did. When they said this was the fastest Mustang they’ve ever built.
Can you point me to where Ford said that? All I ever saw from them was 0-60 in 3.5 seconds with a foot of rollout. The GT500 runs 10.9x with traction, surely you weren’t expecting that level of performance.
Sponsored

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Serious question:

The Mach 1 runs 12.5-12.6. Did anyone honestly expect Ford to have the Mach e GT run quicker that the Mach 1?
It does run quicker than the Mach 1. For some distances. Did you honestly expect that?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Serious question:

The Mach 1 runs 12.5-12.6. Did anyone honestly expect Ford to have the Mach e GT run quicker that the Mach 1?
Serious answer. I was expecting it to also beat a GT500 on the street……. Just like a model Y performance does.

If you really want to get mad at the GT500, watch the 3rd race when it loses the roll race.

Now on a prepped drag strip with good launch and traction……. GT500 all day. Normal street? I was hoping for the same results as the Y in the video.

CharleyCarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE In Production
Country flag
There is a guy down the street from me who has a Taycan and paid close to $200K for it. Hard to compare this to a car that costs 1/4 the cost.
Agreed. The lower trim taycans look like great cars, but their performance isnt all that remarkable.

the taycan turbo and turbo s are amazing performers and have slick styling, but you will pay close to $200k

Maybe we’re inevitably going to see compromises under $100k. At least for a few more years, as manufacturers advance their designs.

Mach-E GTPE was the first EV that had an acceptable balance of compromises, performance, and price, but I’m still deciding as the data is different than expected.

Basically now trying to decide if an EV is fun enough to put up with all the gimmicks

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It does run quicker than the Mach 1. For some distances. Did you honestly expect that?
The Mach e GT is quicker to 60. That’s to be expected. In what other scenario is the Mach e quicker?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Serious answer. I was expecting it to also beat a GT500 on the street……. Just like a model Y performance does.

If you really want to get mad at the GT500, watch the 3rd race when it loses the roll race.

Now on a prepped drag strip with good launch and traction……. GT500 all day. Normal street? I was hoping for the same results as the Y in the video.
GT500 needs to take it from a 120 roll!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Mach e GT is quicker to 60. That’s to be expected. In what other scenario is the Mach e quicker?
It should also be faster in the 1/4 mile. That’s what everyone was expecting at least (based on the Y performance running high 11s).

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The guy in the GT500 should've shifted manually. He admits the car shifted to second (and spun) once he punched it. GT500's in sport or track mode will do that.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It should also be faster in the 1/4 mile. That’s what everyone was expecting at least (based on the Y performance running high 11s).
Everyone wasn't expecting that. There's no reason to expect these cars to be that much quicker than what we're seeing from those who own them, other than running one at max SOC.

Take the Tesla POS and Taycans out of the conversation, they're different manufacturers.

Take ideas of how quick a 5000 lb AWD vehicle with 480HP/630LB-FT should accelerate and throw them away.

Keep the conversation to the two Fords. The gas Mustang is an icon. The electric Mustang is the upstart. Ford (the company who built the two cars) is not going to allow the electric Mustang to outpace the icon.

How do you keep the gas Mustang out front? You let the electric Mustang it launch like a bat out of hell, then slow it down. So the 0-60 is great and that sells the car, but the midrange and top end are lacking. Isn't that exactly what we're seeing from the GT's.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. Did you "honestly" expect it?
Scenarios Phil. Focus. You should be working on that list of all the scenarios in which the Mach e is quicker than a Mach 1.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Everyone wasn't expecting that. There's no reason to expect these cars to be that much quicker than what we're seeing from those who own them, other than running one at max SOC.

Take the Tesla POS and Taycans out of the conversation, they're different manufacturers.

Take ideas of how quick a 5000 lb AWD vehicle with 480HP/630LB-FT should accelerate and throw them away.

Keep the conversation to the two Fords. The gas Mustang is an icon. The electric Mustang is the upstart. Ford (the company who built the two cars) is not going to allow the electric Mustang to outpace the icon.

How do you keep the gas Mustang out front? You let the electric Mustang it launch like a bat out of hell, then slow it down. So the 0-60 is great and that sells the car, but the midrange and top end are lacking. Isn't that exactly what we're seeing from the GT's.
Huh?

We are up to like 70 pages of conversations about people expecting it to be faster than 12.6 in the 1/4 mile.

And 3.5 0-60 outpaces the “icon.” They’ve been pushing that since the beginning.

I seriously doubt Ford has any concern about making the electric cars faster than their gas counterparts. In fact they’re purposefully making them FASTER. First the Mach E and next comes the Lightning.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
But IS there a fix?

Some people (see above) seem to think this is the limit of the motors and battery. Personally that seems unlikely based on what other EV vehicles are capable of, but that’s the theory.

And also, I’ve said it before, if it gets 0-60 in 3.5 and delivers 480 hp 600+ tq, in Fords eyes, what’s to fix?

The high tq, but relatively low hp numbers also gives us a hint as to what’s happening where.

It seems like it’s about 10 mph per 1000 rpm. That means peak tq and peak acceleration happens around 40 mph and by 50-60 mph you are already down 200+ lb ft from max. Hp = tq x rpm/5252.

Basically if it were still making peak tq at 5252 rpm (52 mph or so), it would have over 600 hp. And it doesn’t.
The max power of the large motor is around 281hp with torque at 317lbs so this is pretty much similar to other motors in the class so it is not really hi torque low power motor, as can be seen with the GTPE we get the the total combination of the motors 634lbs torque but 480hp it miles away from the potential 562hp combination.

As long as the batteries are not the issue and can supply the juice for full power, then to reach a target of 480hp means dialing the torque of one or both of the motors back significantly and is probably the cause of most of the issues in the all important mid range.
Sponsored