buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Unfortunately the reviews don’t seem to be “what we have been waiting for.”

They are still the preliminary “first drives” not the in depth testing and head to head racing that we want.

“Take it for a short spin, then drive it around a parking lot quickly but don’t push it too hard.”

If the embargo is truly lifted, we need these things at a real drag strip, real track and lined up against the competition.

Instead we just got some “seat of the pants” impressions, fluff pieces, and more “manufacturers estimates” for performance numbers. Yawn
Hmm that's a shame, but not unexpected It probably won't be until Edmunds and C&D got hold of one that will we get any real serious data points, I am probably going against the grain compared to the thread title I more interested in seeing the the lateral grip results as compared to Focus RS it replaced it is no corner carver, which I did expect but the front tires really don't like the power being put down early so I am very curious to see the measured results for that.
Sponsored

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
It's a 4900 pound CUV I can't imagine why anyone would buy a Mach E for its handling.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
I posted this in the media review's thread but sharing here too:

Here (24:38, few seconds in) Kyle from OutOfSpec says Ford is working on 1/4 mile optimizations. He says it pretty fast but it is clear he said they are working on it and named the engineer who he was getting his info from. Also said he'll be testing it more when he gets a car to test for longer.

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
If there is truth to those comments per his source, its productive positive news

I'm magically am trapping 101+ now in 1/4... Likely coincidence of temps, SOC, battery break in? (still under 400mi), or other variables, but i'm content moving up.

1/8mi ET/MPH still the same and consistent 7.84-7.85 @ 87.2-87.8.

0-60 still the consistent 3.8-3.9 (3.6-3.7 1ft), with only (2) of my probably 75+ valid dragy pulls breaking the 3.6 barrier, 3.58 & 3.59 (1ft). Given those were both low 1.90-1.92 60fts, cant see getting much more out of it down low unless i'm on a prepped track surface or get more power. I'd like to see the 0-60 data on those guys who have gotten the 1.8x 60fts at the track

Some other working data, rough averages i'm seeing:

30-50: 1.27-1.30s
50-70: 1.92-2.00s
60-80: 2.42-2.48s
70-90: 3.4-3.8s
60-100: 7.9-8.8s
70-100: 6.8-7.8s
80-100: 5.4-6.4s

Last edited:

Magnitude

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Route 1
Country flag
These things are all being software limited. This car should easily pass 100mph in a quarter mile.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If there is truth to those comments per his source, its productive positive news

I'm magically am trapping 101+ now in 1/4... Likely coincidence of temps, SOC, battery break in? (still under 400mi), or other variables, but i'm content moving up.

1/8mi ET/MPH still the same and consistent 7.84-7.85 @ 87.2-87.8.

0-60 still the consistent 3.8-3.9 (3.6-3.7 1ft), with only (2) of my probably 75+ valid dragy pulls breaking the 3.6 barrier, 3.58 & 3.59 (1ft). Given those were both low 1.90-1.92 60fts, cant see getting much more out of it down low unless i'm on a prepped track surface or get more power. I'd like to see the 0-60 data on those guys who have gotten the 1.8x 60fts at the track

Some other working data, rough averages i'm seeing:

30-50: 1.27-1.30s
50-70: 1.92-2.00s
60-80: 2.42-2.48s
70-90: 3.4-3.8s
60-100: 7.9-8.8s
70-100: 6.8-7.8s
80-100: 5.4-6.4s
Some of the reviewers of the GTPE said that when the car was floored the software gave it a 5 second extra boost. Similarly, the car goes 60-80 mph faster when it starts at 60 than when it starts at 0. So could one drive for 5ish seconds at 4/5 speed and then floor it to get a 5 second extra boost that started at that point? Just wondering, since you have shown that one can't get any faster for the first several seconds. By going a little slower in the beginning could one go significantly faster at the end? Also, has anyone tried driving to the starting line in Unbridled Extend to precool the battery, and then switch to Unbridled to take off the nanny from the Extend mode?

Last edited:

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
These things are all being software limited. This car should easily pass 100mph in a quarter mile.
Are you willing to spend thousands of dollars on that bet (hardware vs software limited)? Because that is the exact scenario that many, myself included are/were facing.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Some of the reviewers of the GTPE said that when the car was floored the software gave it a 5 second extra boost. Similarly, the car goes 60-80 mph faster when it starts at 60 than when it starts at 0. So could one drive for 5ish seconds at 4/5 speed and then floor it to get a 5 second extra boost that started at that point? Just wondering, since you have shown that one can't get any faster for the first several seconds. By going a little slower in the beginning could one go significantly faster at the end?
It's worth a shot but you should still see a total better time flooring it at lower speeds. The faster acceleration will greatly reduce 1/4 time. I bet starting off slower would add a few seconds to your 1/4 mile time. I mean, I'm sure it's a pretty simple calculation I don't feel like doing right now bahaha

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
It's absolutely software limited but that doesn't mean Ford is ever going to make it any better.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately the reviews don’t seem to be “what we have been waiting for.”

They are still the preliminary “first drives” not the in depth testing and head to head racing that we want.

“Take it for a short spin, then drive it around a parking lot quickly but don’t push it too hard.”

If the embargo is truly lifted, we need these things at a real drag strip, real track and lined up against the competition.

Instead we just got some “seat of the pants” impressions, fluff pieces, and more “manufacturers estimates” for performance numbers. Yawn
Did you watch Out of Spec Motoring's review? He did a few spirited runs and he couldn't put the car into Unbridled Extend mode because it was already heating up the powertrain and battery too much. Apparently you have to be in U.E. mode before you drive aggressive, otherwise the nannies kick in and you have to let the car cool down.

I don't know how software is going fix the issue if the root cause is a limitation in the cooling system. Regardless of the mode, not being able to have more than 4 seconds of fun is a bit disheartening for a car wearing a Performance badge.

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some of the reviewers of the GTPE said that when the car was floored the software gave it a 5 second extra boost. Similarly, the car goes 60-80 mph faster when it starts at 60 than when it starts at 0. So could one drive for 5ish seconds at 4/5 speed and then floor it to get a 5 second extra boost that started at that point? Just wondering, since you have shown that one can't get any faster for the first several seconds. By going a little slower in the beginning could one go significantly faster at the end?
Still looking to compile a bit more data on rolling/no-load pulls, but early results showed 30-50 not affected (as expected), with 50-70 shaving off .5 sec, and it snoballs from there.... Need a few more days of driving it with no rain and should have good data to share...

It continues to make me sick looking at MYP 0-100 times and they're in the range with our 60-100 times ? ?

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Frankie Any info learned on Dyno settings or plans to go back? Im eager to see the power curve, and may book an appt soon

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Did you watch Out of Spec Motoring's review? He did a few spirited runs and he couldn't put the car into Unbridled Extend mode because it was already heating up the powertrain and battery too much. Apparently you have to be in U.E. mode before you drive aggressive, otherwise the nannies kick in and you have to let the car cool down.

I don't know how software is going fix the issue if the root cause is a limitation in the cooling system. Regardless of the mode, not being able to have more than 4 seconds of fun is a bit disheartening for a car wearing a Performance badge.
Well the theory isn’t really that it’s “overheating.”

If a car overheats after 5 seconds….. we have a serious issue.

The theory is that the software is significantly limiting acceleration to prevent overheating…… but being waaaay too cautious.

What’s more likely to heat up a battery?

1. 12 seconds of full power (1/4 mile)
2. 15 minutes if 80% power off and on (unbridled extend at a track)

I’d say you battery would be way hotter in scenario 2, but they’ve designed unbridled extend to handle it.

And based on how every other BEV on the market can handle more than 5 seconds of full power…… #1 seems like an easy thing to fix.

Ford just needs to unbridle……… unbridled.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag

I wouldn't base the cooling performance of the car off of unbridled extend being available or not. Its clearly intended to be turned on before you start driving at all. Other reviewers weren't able to turn it on either during much less intense street driving.

The fact that Kyle never put the GT into "turtle mode," as he calls it, like he did when driving the Premium and Route 1 models through similar canyon roads is pretty clear evidence that the cooling has been beefed up to handle more sustained performance, even while using normal unbridled mode. He never mentioned the car losing any performance as he went along that route.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wouldn't base the cooling performance of the car off of unbridled extend being available or not. Its clearly intended to be turned on before you start driving at all. Other reviewers weren't able to turn it on either during much less intense street driving.

The fact that Kyle never put the GT into "turtle mode," as he calls it, like he did when driving the Premium and Route 1 models through similar canyon roads is pretty clear evidence that the cooling has been beefed up to handle more sustained performance, even while using normal unbridled mode. He never mentioned the car losing any performance as he went along that route.
Dave Pericak talks a bit about Unbridled Extend and GT thermal hardware improvements in the Wheel Bearings Podcast.

https://wheelbearings.media/
Sponsored