Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It’s midway Ford

it Is really fast out of the hole. But I see what it means after 65-70 mph

and knowing about it I can’t unsee it
If you decide to not take it, make sure that your salesperson knows why, and that they communicate it back up the ladder.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Just watch your power meter on any drag run and look at the greyed out limit, you are not pulling full power at the end of the quarter so it is pretty easy to not have a drop in performance when you only had full power for a minuscule amount of time to begin with.

Yes it is not apples to apples and the taycan has more power but the taycan repeatability test was doing back to back 0-124mph runs, up the runway turn and then straight back down with an average time of 10 seconds, it is not having its power reduced half way through the run to achieve that, they dedicated the required resources to make sure that it could achieve that goal as anyone coming from a 911 will expect it to be able to launch again and again so they had to made sure the taycan lived up Porsche owners expectations.

Now if the standard MO of an ICE mustang GT is for it the power to be halved half way through a run then would could say the mach-e GT team indeed have lived up to expectations of the mustang GT name, yet somehow I don't think so..
I think the Taycan does pull power similar to the GT, just not so dramatically. The overboost lasts 2.5 seconds.

But it’s only about a 10-20% boost and when it wears off it’s still way more powerful than the regular Taycan (non turbo) models.

And possibly the most important detail?

It’s very clearly advertised on the Porsche website with both boosted and non boosted power levels:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan/

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I think the Taycan does pull power similar to the GT, just not so dramatically. The overboost lasts 2.5 seconds.

But it’s only about a 10-20% boost and when it wears off it’s still way more powerful than the regular Taycan (non turbo) models.

It’s very clearly advertised on the Porsche website with both boosted and non boosted power levels:

And that’s why - “There is no substitute.”

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

The overboost on the taycan only happens when launch control is used and as it happens for such a limited amount of time it is really limited to when it is in when it is in first gear. I don't object to Ford giving the mach-e an overboost or Porsche but what we are seeing is a not some launch mode helping give us some better numbers overboost, it could be argued that the GTPE with its extra 34lbs of torque is a good enough overboost vs the GT to give it the quicker 0-60 time.

It is the huge drop in performance however that happens afterwards that goes beyond what I think is an acceptable measure for an overboost, does it impact my reasons for getting the GTPE no as it will spend most of its life pottering along in commuter traffic where I will be lucky to get above 50mph. But for those that wanted some actual peformance to go along with all of Fords bold claims and paid a significant chunk of change for it to get such lackluster sustained acceleration just doesn't sit right with me and needs to be addressed by Ford.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I could see rapid discharging and recharging being an issue on track with a combination of hammering the brakes into a corner and regen then accelerating out that it could soon heat things up, in theory this is what unbridled extended should be accounting for by slowing things down to prevent it, mind you if they had upgraded the GTPE to use some actual performance brakes then they could have probably disabled the regen all together and just use friction braking only.

For a quick blast down a 1/4 or even just accelerating to from 0-100 mph, it just makes no sense, so either it really does have a piss poor cooling system not fit for purpose or as you say they just so paranoid about warranty claims the fun is quickly dial back or worse case a combination of both :(

Which really does make me wonder what actual performance testing Ford did, typically a Ford with performance expectations I would have expected someone would have at least got some spy shots of it going around nurburgring like most of the other performance fords have, but nothing for the mach-e.

Maybe with all the delays they got to do so little performance testing that they are using owners data to do it for them and make improvement to the performance over time, or the performance objectives that where set are so low nobody at Ford sees it as a problem..
These are some pretty good questions. Remember they did a lot of computer testing in Charlotte, but real world testing is another matter. If Ford can come through with increasing the 5 seconds of surge to the point where it beat the MY Performance in the 1/4 mile, that is when I know I can trade up for the GTPE!

I strongly suspect Jim Farley may be sending a directive to his engineers: "Fix this, I don't want to see you tube videos of the Model Y Performance blowing away my MME GTPE in the 1/4."

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I don't see the MME beating the MYP in the 1/4. At this point I'd be happy if it had enough top end to keep up with the Volvo XC40 past 60.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't see the MME beating the MYP in the 1/4. At this point I'd be happy if it had enough top end to keep up with the Volvo XC40 past 60.
yeah, even if they fix it, I don't see it happening with the current setup. The MYP puts down more power at the wheels than the GT/GTPE does directly at the motor before any power loss to the wheels. Obviously less than a gas engine, but there is still some thermal losses. This is even after Tesla limiting the initial power on the MYP to make sure the drivetrain remains reliable due to the extra 400 lbs it has over the Model 3. But, Tesla has shifted the power delivery and the Y makes more power longer than the 3, which has a sharper cut off after 5500 rpm. The Y power delivery is fairly flat through 11000 rpm.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am expecting my GT around the beginning of November. Or so. Who knows. Anyway, it will be the fastest/quickest car I have ever owned. In this part of the forum, I might be in the minority. So as I read about the cool things I could do with my GT, within the artificial limits set by the suits at Ford, I have started to consider how much fun it would be to take it around a track. But really, I have no idea where to start.

Is it possible for me to take my car to a track on a Saturday, run it around the track, just for fun? Or do I need to join a club for the privilege? (Of course I am willing to pay for the day.) Do I need extra equipment like a helmet or a special seat harness, or can I just show up and drive?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but you guys have peeked my interest in something I have not ever considered doing before. My focus has been personal activities like running and biking. Driving a car fast has always just been a spectator sport for me, and not much of one at that. But I really like to drive fast. Too fast for public roads, per my wife. Whom I love. :)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am expecting my GT around the beginning of November. Or so. Who knows. Anyway, it will be the fastest/quickest car I have ever owned. In this part of the forum, I might be in the minority. So as I read about the cool things I could do with my GT, within the artificial limits set by the suits at Ford, I have started to consider how much fun it would be to take it around a track. But really, I have no idea where to start.

Is it possible for me to take my car to a track on a Saturday, run it around the track, just for fun? Or do I need to join a club for the privilege? (Of course I am willing to pay for the day.) Do I need extra equipment like a helmet or a special seat harness, or can I just show up and drive?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but you guys have peeked my interest in something I have not ever considered doing before. My focus has been personal activities like running and biking. Driving a car fast has always just been a spectator sport for me, and not much of one at that. But I really like to drive fast. Too fast for public roads, per my wife. Whom I love. :)
You can go to an AutoX or track, you will need a helmet.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t recommend using your daily driver though. Ask the guy with 3k miles on his GT and already needs new tires.

See if you can sign up for a driving school first.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
You can go to an AutoX or track, you will need a helmet.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t recommend using your daily driver though. Ask the guy with 3k miles on his GT and already needs new tires.

See if you can sign up for a driving school first.
This is why my GT350 hasn't seen a track yet. Consumable costs are just crazy (track fees are pretty high too). Still would love to try it once.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Find your local track(s) via google and see what type of driving school and/or high performance driving events (hpde) they offer.
I’ve had good luck going to track days organized by the local BMW M club even though I drive an SS sedan.
I’d definitely get a helmet that fits properly but you can prob skip the firesuit for now ?.
And if you only go 7-8/10ths the first few times your tires will likely be fine, but, a dedicated set of track wheels/tires is so much better and cheaper long term.

Edit: I see you’re in Virginia, I’m jealous. You must get out to VIR, it’s the Nurburgring of the U.S. Thats where Car and Driver does their annual Lightning Lap testing. We have COTA here in CenTex along with Driveway Austin so I can’t complain I suppose.

https://virnow.com/track/getting-on-track/

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Find your local track(s) via google and see what type of driving school and/or high performance driving events (hpde) they offer.
I’ve had good luck going to track days organized by the local BMW M club even though I drive an SS sedan.
I’d definitely get a helmet that fits properly but you can prob skip the firesuit for now ?.
And if you only go 7-8/10ths the first few times your tires will likely be fine, but, a dedicated set of track wheels/tires is so much better and cheaper long term.

Edit: I see you’re in Virginia, I’m jealous. You must get out to VIR, it’s the Nurburgring of the U.S. Thats where Car and Driver does their annual Lightning Lap testing. We have COTA here in CenTex along with Driveway Austin so I can’t complain I suppose.

https://virnow.com/track/getting-on-track/
"For those looking to drive their sports, classic, or high-performance car at VIR, joining the VIR Club is the answer. Members of the VIR Club enjoy 18 exclusive member driving days each year. Members get from 2 to 8 hours of track time per day depending on track configuration, event type, and club member attendance numbers. To learn more about the VIR Club, click here."

It seems I can't just run a few laps on a Saturday without joining the club. I guess I need to figure out if I want to spend multiple weekends there or not. No happy medium apparently.

I really respect your experience and advice based on your posts here. Thanks for pointing me in a good direction.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
"For those looking to drive their sports, classic, or high-performance car at VIR, joining the VIR Club is the answer. Members of the VIR Club enjoy 18 exclusive member driving days each year. Members get from 2 to 8 hours of track time per day depending on track configuration, event type, and club member attendance numbers. To learn more about the VIR Club, click here."

It seems I can't just run a few laps on a Saturday without joining the club. I guess I need to figure out if I want to spend multiple weekends there or not. No happy medium apparently.

I really respect your experience and advice based on your posts here. Thanks for pointing me in a good direction.
No problem. Check their track schedule, there could be days where a local club rents it out and let’s others buy in to the rental. Like that local BMW chapter or one of the, gasp, Porsche clubs ?

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results 1635296823586

This is from the locked Mach E GT/GT Performance FB group. 50 psi in the tires and pulled the passenger seat. Same guy as the last time I posted about.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag