cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E future owner
Country flag
I am in the market and want to purchase a Mach E but being hesitant due to all the issues. I have noticed there are more used Mach E's available than new on the lot. Of coarse why would I buy a used vehicle when I can get the tax credit.

Do we think the issues is what is causing this or could it be just people are using the tax credit and reselling for nearly what they paid for it? I am seeing these used lots charging pretty close to MSRP prices since most of these have less than 500 miles on them. I am located in Atlanta and not sure if this is happening everywhere or just a local thing.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
By "used" are you referring to the dealer demo units? Those are still classified as new cars and are eligible for the tax rebate. Those are also most of what's available because dealers were not able to place stock orders, so the only new/non-demo MME are cars people ordered but decided not to buy.

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These are not dealer lots. They are side dealers. Maybe they are attached to a legit dealer? An example is ALM is ( Atlanta Luxury motors) has multiple of these at different lots. I dont think they are associated.

By "used" are you referring to the dealer demo units? Those are still classified as new cars and are eligible for the tax rebate. Those are also most of what's available because dealers were not able to place stock orders, so the only new/non-demo MME are cars people ordered but decided not to buy.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I think this is untrue…Ford dealer down the street from me has 7 new Mach Es on the lot.

And I don’t believe there are a ton of issues with the Mach E, it’s a forum for a brand-new car, every problem will be amplified.

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just pulled car gurus and i see 15 used mach e's around me and only 3 new on lots within a 50 miles radius. You can use a zip around my area 30022 on car gurus.

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
New and used on car gurus. Hopefully these will load correct for you. I am thinking people are using the tax credits and selling the car back but wasn't sure if this is going on everywhere.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...CE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2990

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...CE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2990
I mean, I can see it. Buy the car, get the $7500 tax credit, and then sell the car while supply is still so limited and get back what you paid for it or more. It's shady, but I can absolutely see people and small car lots doing this.

Rebelchopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150, 2013 Santa Fe, 1968 Mustang, 2015 HD
Occupation
Jet engine quality inspector
Country flag
I'm down in Columbus. I just looked at the ALMcars website, and they have NINE listed as used! Seriously, what's up with that? Most of them are listed with less than 100 miles.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I just checked AutoTrader and CarGurus for Mach-E's for sale nationwide:
AutoTrader: 2,032 new, 81 used
CarGurues: 14,236 new, 78 used

Cashing in on the tax credit does not look like a trend to me.

shberry

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'69 Camaro SS/RS, MME Premium ER-AWD (someday)
Occupation
Math Tutor
Country flag
I'm down in Columbus. I just looked at the ALMcars website, and they have NINE listed as used! Seriously, what's up with that? Most of them are listed with less than 100 miles.
I just called the ALM website. Confirmed 121 miles and used, so no $7500 tax credit. I guess if you don't qualify for the tax credit that might make sense, but seems strange.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I got mine through a cancelled order.
I have not been seeing any used ones around at all. Just dealer demos.
I should note, I just picked up my car this weekend, and its problem free so far. Charging has been smooth, the car is snappy and responsive.
I have a premium awd er. It was built in early June.

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its weird its that almost 20% of the used mach e's are in atlanta according to Azcoronadog's numbers.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The tax code states that you are not eligible to receive the credit if you buy the car with the intention of reselling it. Intent is hard to prove so there may be people trying to make a few bucks off of the tax credit, but it wouldn't be worth the risk in my mind.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Not an issue in NJ. I’ve got 554 new and only 7 used within 150 miles on cars.com. Would be curious if this is going on with any other EVs though.

used car market is weird right now, so some “entrepreneurs “ could certainly try this game.
Sponsored