More used Mach e's than new on dealership lots

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The tax code states that you are not eligible to receive the credit if you buy the car with the intention of reselling it. Intent is hard to prove so there may be people trying to make a few bucks off of the tax credit, but it wouldn't be worth the risk in my mind.
I think this is most likely what it is considering how crazy the resale market is these days with seemingly all manner of in demand consumer goods.

Since this would be tax fraud, I hope the IRS knows to investigate when a filer requests 3+ federal tax credits in a year!
Sponsored

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
New and used on car gurus. Hopefully these will load correct for you. I am thinking people are using the tax credits and selling the car back but wasn't sure if this is going on everywhere.
You can't "use" tax credits and sell the car. There are IRS limitations to qualify for the tax rebate (and likely state rebates), you bought the car for personal use and not to resell, and secondly you won't get the 2021 tax credit until 2022 tax season. It takes several months to get state rebate as well. The person who gets all these incentives is the first one who got the title to the car.

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E future owner
Country flag
I am not sure what is going on but looks very shady. I understand what the law states but a lot of people will break them. Look at the PPP loan situation and they are catching a lot of made up companies. I am not sure how the IRS would know you only kept it for a couple months. Also we’re there any units put out late 2020? These could have had their tax credit collected and already sold.

This thread is not accusing any dealer or specific person of anything I just wanted to get some feedback on if it was more related to the issues some are having with the cars or something else and how odd it is that there is so many used all within the Atlanta area.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You can't "use" tax credits and sell the car. There are IRS limitations to qualify for the tax rebate (and likely state rebates), you bought the car for personal use and not to resell, and secondly you won't get the 2021 tax credit until 2022 tax season. It takes several months to get state rebate as well. The person who gets all these incentives is the first one who got the title to the car.
The law states that a person cannot claim the tax credit if they purchase the car with the intent of reselling. This would allow a person who purchased a car and had to sell it because they lost their job to still claim the credit, for example. "Intent" is hard to prove in court.

If I change my mind about my current MME and decide I now want a GT instead, it would be legal for me to sell the car and claim the credit - I had no intent to sell the car when I bought it. If the GT were to be delivered this year (fat chance!) I could claim both credits.

Rusty0601

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I think this is untrue…Ford dealer down the street from me has 7 new Mach Es on the lot.

And I don’t believe there are a ton of issues with the Mach E, it’s a forum for a brand-new car, every problem will be amplified.
it has been tough to find one in the Midwest. I found one this weekend only because someone had cancelled their order. I had dealers call me in NC and VA who were charging 5k over invoice (no thank you)

Most of my issues have been with the Ford Pass and PAAK.
PAAK constantly says Network Error, try later.
Ford customer help line has been worthless. Every time I call for the past 3 days, they say, we are working on it, try again in a few hours.

my initial range test is going well if the Range display can be believed. I have 110 miles to drive and 145 mi on the display with 57% battery, which would imply better than the 270m range.
Almost all highway driving at 70mph, AC on 75
Extended range, AWD

Update on my range:
I started my trip with 92% battery. I drove 220 miles and pulled into the garage with 52 miles on the Range display. Admittedly, I drove like a grandma the whole time to get good range but my AC was on 75. My speed was around 68mph, mostly highway. So, initial testing gives a range better than 220 if you are easy on the throttle.

Update on PAAK:
My 1-year old Motorola just will not connect. The 'Network Problem' appears immediately. I think it is a 'Ford Problem' as it takes no time at all to pop up that message.
So
I get out my old Samsung S7 which is 5 or 6 years old, at least. It connected fine.
I am afraid that only the most popular phones are going to work, Apple, Samsung, etc

Has anyone else had recent success with a phone that isnt Apple or Samsung.?

Last edited:

salt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW x3
Country flag
I just pulled car gurus and i see 15 used mach e's around me and only 3 new on lots within a 50 miles radius. You can use a zip around my area 30022 on car gurus.
Wait, Ford has shipped more than 30,000 Mach-Es?

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No i provided a zip code which is 30022. Not that many units. Not sure how many units they have made.

Wait, Ford has shipped more than 30,000 Mach-Es?

OP
OP

cyb593

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I test drove a black one at one of their lots so I know at least 1 of them is real. It was the closest to me and didn't want to drive 45 minutes when I could drive 15 minutes to confirm I even want to buy one.

Perhaps the cars aren’t really there and are used for bait. Did anyone call and get in to see what they have?

atlz_best

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
ALM group is no chump change, they have tens of lots all over atl.
Secondly, this would be stupid for a dealer to buy new and claims tens of 7500 credit on a SINGLE TAX RETURN.
They are probably seeing demand and markups and buying anything they find at manheim auctions.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
As someone who just got a Mach E TODAY and spent the better part of a week trying, I can attest that most "available" listing are flat out wrong. Whether those cars are already spoken for or were simply sold already and sites not updated, there's actually a lot less out there than you think.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Something weird is going on here. All of the suburban Philadelphia dealers in PA that have a vehicle on that website only have one unit (except for one dealer that has a reputation for being shady). However, all the dealers over in New Jersey are claiming to have multiple units. This makes no sense.
Sponsored