Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
It’s not just the two-speed transmission, which is significant. What about the gear ratios? How fast are the Taycan motors spinning at 60 or 70 mph compared to the GTPE? If you start pedaling a 21 speed bike in 1st gear, it will make for a very easy launch compared to a higher gear, but you’re going to run out of chooch more quickly as your RPMs build. it’s my understanding that the final gear ratio of the GT/GTPE is biased toward that quick launch, the downside being considerably faster RPMs at highway speeds. I don’t know if that is a fair analogy, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
The 2-speed trans is what allows the overall top gear ratio to be much more efficient for high speed pull and also range. Larger ratio spread. I thought that was understood.

Porsche developed its EVs for Autobahn cruising which is important to its customers in Germany and buyers elsewhere like the top speed bragging rights too. Ford knows most GTs will never see 100+ and they geared it accordingly, all in on the launch and sub 100mph acceleration. Now they just need to give 10 seconds of it ?.
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
It’s not just the two-speed transmission, which is significant. What about the gear ratios? How fast are the Taycan motors spinning at 60 or 70 mph compared to the GTPE? If you start pedaling a 21 speed bike in 1st gear, it will make for a very easy launch compared to a higher gear, but you’re going to run out of chooch more quickly as your RPMs build. it’s my understanding that the final gear ratio of the GT/GTPE is biased toward that quick launch, the downside being considerably faster RPMs at highway speeds. I don’t know if that is a fair analogy, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Yes the chosen gear ratios are a factor, however my point was more that using dual permanent magnet motor should not be a limiting factor. The E-GMP platform also uses dual permanent magnet motors and the EV GT will has a projected top speed 162mph.

However this is more of an indication that when it comes to a performance BEV manufacturers will be making various changes to achieve the performance goals and with GTPE Ford have not really done much of that, for what ever reason there ideas of a what performance BEV should be are far from what is expected in 2021, does this ruin my overall enjoyment of my GTPE not really as I purchased it as a commuter / grocery getter so I see the GTPE as a premium++ and what it should have been in the first place but a performance BEV it is not.

Will I complain if Ford makes improvements to the power curve via OTA, of course not :), however features and performance improvements to the UI are far higher up my list of things Ford really needs to fix and those would benefit all mach-e owners. The GTPE in current form just gives a small 5 second teaser of what mach-e performance derivative could offer but it also needs modifications beyond just giving it a power boost to fulfill that promise.

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
428i, X1, Mach-e GTPE on order
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
The more I hear from actual owners, the less worried I am - the vast majority that have weighed in love their GTs, and the reduced top end output does not sound like an issue at legal speeds. I’m really looking forward to getting mine.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
And count me as a Shelby American detractor. Anything they do power wise will be Ford engineer’s creation.
Me too. Shelby American won't do jack power-wise for the Mach E. Anything we get will come from Ford. Shelby American will give us some nice stickers and maybe a spoiler, plus a plaque on the dash. Maybe some springs and shocks if we are lucky.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Me too. Shelby American won't do jack power-wise for the Mach E. Anything we get will come from Ford. Shelby American will give us some nice stickers and maybe a spoiler, plus a plaque on the dash. Maybe some springs and shocks if we are lucky.
I saw an informal interview with the President of Shelby American at SEMA (youtube). He said they were working to improve the power of the Shelby MME, but he refused to give specifics. I bet they figure it out. They have to if Ford wants to compete on the playing field with the Tesla MY PE.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I saw an informal interview with the President of Shelby American at SEMA (youtube). He said they were working to improve the power of the Shelby MME, but he refused to give specifics. I bet they figure it out. They have to if Ford wants to compete on the playing field with the Tesla MY PE.
No, they don't. Shelby American has absolutely nothing to do with the current Shelby-labeled cars sold by Ford. Nothing other than Ford paying someone for the Shelby name. GT500 from 2007 to present, GT350 and GT350R from 2016+. Nothing at all to do with Shelby American. That company makes a handful of modified Mustangs yearly, which for the most part are overpriced versions of something that any competent enthusiast could duplicate in his garage, plus a plaque and some stickers. They don't have the engineering expertise to do anything else. Some people assign value to the fact that "Shelby" modified their Fords. I don't, at all. Although I suspect that there will be the occasional collector that might buy them in the future.

TLDR: Shelby American hasn't had anything to do with Ford Performance/SVT/Cobras etc for 20+ years. I wish people would quit confusing the two.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Just to throw another log on the fire, the Rivian R1T beats the GTPE in both ET and Trap Speed (11.9 at 109 mph)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Just to throw another log on the fire, the Rivian R1T beats the GTPE in both ET and Trap Speed (11.9 at 109 mph)

So Edmunds has a full instrumented test of a vehicle that’s not out yet and the Mach E GT has been out a couple months and still no major publication has a full instrumented test?

What happened to everyone claiming “it’s totally normal to have review embargo’s and no full instrumented tests for weeks after the embargo is lifted??”

At least at 117 ft we stop faster (108 ft)…… still dang impressive numbers for a truck.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
So Edmunds has a full instrumented test of a vehicle that’s not out yet and the Mach E GT has been out a couple months and still no major publication has a full instrumented test?

What happened to everyone claiming “it’s totally normal to have review embargo’s and no full instrumented tests for weeks after the embargo is lifted??”

At least at 117 ft we stop faster (108 ft)…… still dang impressive numbers for a truck.
The Rivian is a very nice truck. I would love to have one, but it is a little too small for my needs right now and the Lightning fits them better. Maybe for a Lightning replacement someday, but that will depend on what the Gen 2 Lightning brings to the table.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, they don't. Shelby American has absolutely nothing to do with the current Shelby-labeled cars sold by Ford. Nothing other than Ford paying someone for the Shelby name. GT500 from 2007 to present, GT350 and GT350R from 2016+. Nothing at all to do with Shelby American. That company makes a handful of modified Mustangs yearly, which for the most part are overpriced versions of something that any competent enthusiast could duplicate in his garage, plus a plaque and some stickers. They don't have the engineering expertise to do anything else. Some people assign value to the fact that "Shelby" modified their Fords. I don't, at all. Although I suspect that there will be the occasional collector that might buy them in the future.

TLDR: Shelby American hasn't had anything to do with Ford Performance/SVT/Cobras etc for 20+ years. I wish people would quit confusing the two.

We shall see. That was a Shelby American booth/display set up in the Ford area at SEMA. Are you saying it was not? I believe Shelby American will address performance issues in the Mach-E GT. Vince LaViolette, VP of operations recently said they they were "teaming up with industry leaders to delve into powertrain, power delivery, range and other performance enhancements for a potential production version of the vehicle." You are right to say Shelby American is a stand alone company apart from Ford; however, I'll take them (SA) at their word and expect to see performance enhancements for the Shelby Mustang Mach-E GT, hopefully late in 2022 or 2023. I'll trade my MME Premium in for one if they do, with better performance on par or better with the Tesla Model Y PE.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
We shall see. That was a Shelby American booth/display set up in the Ford area at SEMA. Are you saying it was not? I believe Shelby American will address performance issues in the Mach-E GT. Vince LaViolette, VP of operations recently said they they were "teaming up with industry leaders to delve into powertrain, power delivery, range and other performance enhancements for a potential production version of the vehicle." You are right to say Shelby American is a stand alone company apart from Ford; however, I'll take them (SA) at their word and expect to see performance enhancements for the Shelby Mustang Mach-E GT, hopefully late in 2022 or 2023. I'll trade my MME Premium in for one if they do, with better performance on par or better with the Tesla Model Y PE.
Anything is possible, but many things aren’t likely. We’ll see what category the Shelby American GT falls into. However, would you spend $85K on it?

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anything is possible, but many things aren’t likely. We’ll see what category the Shelby American GT falls into. However, would you spend $85K on it?
Yea, the price is steep at $85K for a crossover; I'll certainly give it serious consideration. Just have to wait and see.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the Camaros on track because we frankly didn't see many of them. I would agree completely on the Vette. It also benefits from better aero, and a significantly better power to weight ratio. Big heavy muscle cars tax the entire system a lot more than Vettes or Porsches.
I owned ax1995 Bette with the selective handling
The more I hear from actual owners, the less worried I am - the vast majority that have weighed in love their GTs, and the reduced top end output does not sound like an issue at legal speeds. I’m really looking forward to getting mine.
Agreed....my wife's GTPE is her daily retirement driver and recently her red lite to red light muscle car killer. With two empty car seats in the back she has blown away several Dodges that kept blowing their horns at red lite. Even when she hesitated she still gained up quickly and the deal was done. Both sides waived to her and now she looking for bear. Auto cross is on both of our lists. Local drags have 1/8 miles once week and it's on my list. At 73 and wife 68 we want to enjoy our retirement and no other way then using her EV. Our daughter and son in law have 500 hp plus vehicles so our summer cruises will happen for 2021 which have been missed with covid
. Our two grand Kids can't wait going. All in the family....

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the Camaros on track because we frankly didn't see many of them. I would agree completely on the Vette. It also benefits from better aero, and a significantly better power to weight ratio. Big heavy muscle cars tax the entire system a lot more than Vettes or Porsches.
I owned ax1995 Bette with the selective handling
Agreed....my wife's GTPE is her daily retirement driver and recently her red lite to red light muscle car killer. With two empty car seats in the back she has blown away several Dodges that kept blowing their horns at red lite. Even when she hesitated she still gained up quickly and the deal was done. Both sides waived to her and now she looking for bear. Auto cross is on both of our lists. Local drags have 1/8 miles once week and it's on my list. At 73 and wife 68 we want to enjoy our retirement and no other way then using her EV. Our daughter and son in law have 500 hp plus vehicles so our summer cruises will happen for 2021 which have been missed with covid
. Our two grand Kids can't wait going. All in the family....
Sponsored