Multiple paint scratches--buffer or paint suggestions?

MariaM19

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
After taking my rapid red MME to the touch less car wash today, I discovered multiple fine line paint scratches. 😭 I've taken my car there multiple times before without issue, but something was clearly off today. This is the first car I've had where I've actually cared about keeping it looking good, so I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for how best to fix scratches? They all seem to be about 1-2 inches or smaller in length, not deep to the touch (barely feel any grooving) but definitely shows white. Granted, many people might not notice them, but I definitely do. Would appreciate any suggestions and tips for how best to fix them!
Sponsored

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Can you post pictures of the scratches? I would re-wash by hand if possible, dry off with a chamois and apply polish with a wet applicator pad. Rub hard on the scratched area, and polish off with a soft microfibre towel. If the scratches are still there, you will probably need to hit it with a rotary buffer and a more abrasive compound to blend in the scratches. I used this stuff, and it came in a kit with applicator and microfibre towel.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=megu...-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#fpstate=imgv&imgv=0

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
You can try applying a polish by hand. If that doesn't work, then you can use a Dual Action Polisher to machine polish out the scratches. If you don't have experience using a DA polisher, you can either lean how to use one or just take your MME to a professional detailer and have them remove the scratches.

In terms of what product to use, you always want to use the least aggressive product that still gets the job done. First try a less aggressive product. If that doesn't work, try the next more aggressive product.

Here is a helpful chart that shows Meguiar's various products from the least aggressive (on the left) to the most aggressive (on the right). So for example, I would try these Meguiar's products in this order, from least aggressive to most aggressive: Ultimate Polish, Swirl X, Scratch X, and finally Ultimate Compound.

If you use a DA polisher, you also need to try different kinds of pads. Again, you would go from the least aggressive pad to a more aggressive pad.

I suggest using blue tape to create a couple small test areas. Try a couple different product and pad combinations. Once you find the right product and pad combo that gives you the results you want, you can then apply that combo to the rest of the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Multiple paint scratches--buffer or paint suggestions? 1658346779767

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think what you depends upon you. How deep are the scratches? If the scratches are just the clear coat, you can see about getting the clear coat polished or wet sanded. If they are in the paint, then fixing them to perfection requires paint. There are always means and methods in-between and the results vary. Cost will play into this too. Do you want the car to look factory new? Are you ok with some flaws? Are you willing to spend or do you prefer to keep cost low? Do you want to do it at home or pay a professional? Answering the above questions will guide you to the solution.

OP
OP

MariaM19

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Thanks for all of your replies! I guess I'd like to know if there's something I can do myself, for a not crazy cost, and have it look at least semi-new. If the scratches are too much for easier DIY, then I'd consider doing some detailing, though I'd probably wait until I've own it for ar least a year, so I can get a years worth of detailing in one go (like a nice interior cleaning as a refresh).

I was finally able to get some pictures. It was too sunny and bright earlier to capture anything but my own reflection. Id be interested to know if polishing these will help make them look less obvious/like new (like @joebruin77 suggested), or if these are best handled by a professional. I'm okay with some imperfections, but would like to keep it where I'm likely the only one who notices.

PXL_20220721_013330452.jpg

PXL_20220721_013255239.jpg

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I was finally able to get some pictures. It was too sunny and bright earlier to capture anything but my own reflection. Id be interested to know if polishing these will help make them look less obvious/like new (like @joebruin77 suggested), or if these are best handled by a professional. I'm okay with some imperfections, but would like to keep it where I'm likely the only one who notices.
Thanks for posting the pics. It is a bit difficult to tell from the pics. Whether you can simply buff out the scratches with a DA polisher and a compound/polish, or if it needs to be repainted depends on how deep the scratches are.

One way to tell is to run your finger over the scratch. If you close your eyes and you cannot feel the scratch, then there is a good chance that it can simply be buffed out as that is a sign that only the clear coat is scratched. But if you can feel the scratch, then more likely than not it is too deep and the scratch can only be repaired by repainting it. In this case, you could use a touch up paint kit such as those offered by Dr. Color Chip: https://drcolorchip.com/, or you can have it professional repainted at a body shop.

Here is a helpful article on how to identify the different types of scratches:

https://drivedetailed.com/how-to-identify-the-type-of-scratches-on-cars-paint/

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
After taking my rapid red MME to the touch less car wash today, I discovered multiple fine line paint scratches. 😭 I've taken my car there multiple times before without issue, but something was clearly off today. This is the first car I've had where I've actually cared about keeping it looking good, so I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for how best to fix scratches? They all seem to be about 1-2 inches or smaller in length, not deep to the touch (barely feel any grooving) but definitely shows white. Granted, many people might not notice them, but I definitely do. Would appreciate any suggestions and tips for how best to fix them!
Define "touchless car wash". I've used touchless car washes for decades on my show cars, and it's physically impossible for a touchless wash to put ANY scratches in paint, EVER. "Touchless" means that only pressurized water and pressurized air touch the car...meaning NO brushes, foam fingers or rollers ever touch the paint. Touchless cannot cause clear-coat scratches...your photo indicates that you may be opening your doors into bushes/branches/garage clutter/etc.

OP
OP

MariaM19

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
It was a touch less wash, with no brushes of any kind. I used a different bay at the wash and thought the spouts looked less clean (as did the soap color, strangely) but told myself I was being overly cautious. It's true the scratches may have occurred some other way (nothing particular comes to mind), I just hadn't seen them until yesterday after the wash. But knowing that others haven't had issues with touch less washes makes me feel better about using it again--I will just not use that particular bay (and I plan to hand wash from now on while the weather is still nice).

Thanks so much again for the suggestions! Having read the article on different types of scratches (thanks @joebruin77), I think they're the lightest type, so I'm going to try using polish on one of the smaller scratches first, and see how that goes. If it works, then I'll try it on the others too. If not, I'll enlist a professional for help once I want to get it detailed. I really appreciate the polish recommendations, @MachEMaster , @Monke, and @joebruin77 since I'm new to this whole having a nice car thing. I never had money growing up, and have worked hard and long to get to a point where I could afford a car this nice, and I want to keep it in the best shape I can. 🙂
Sponsored