Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
He basically says Ford isn't as good as Tesla in the thermal system design. But better than everyone else. So rather than view this in negative light accept that he's saying Ford is #2 and likely can fix this within a year like Tesla did if they want. Really not a negative.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Maybe you should watch. My Mach-e is scheduled to be built June 21 and what he says still seems to make a lot of sense, particularly the risk of fluid leaks and why the frunk divider exists.
Tesla apparently improved their design in a year and Ford might be able to do the same.
He is 100% WRONG about why the divider exists.
Yup. I don't want to be a Ford fanboy, and I used to really like his videos, but he has started to go full Tesla Stan.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Will watching that change anything? My car is what it is at this point. Unless there is some preventative maintenance I can perform, it sounds like fear-mongering.

I have watched some of his videos, but even a modicum of critical thinking begs the question of why does he do them? What's his agenda? Most of this stuff is self-serving clickbait. It obviously comes down to marketing/publicity, trying to be relevant, and generating business. People love "experts" and the more he presents himself as one, the more people will talk about him and his opinions and give him credibility. It's actually pretty smart marketing, but see it for what it is.

In some of the videos, he makes "expert" remarks about completely subjective design choices that have nothing to do with engineering. My non-engineer opinion about the looks of a car is just as valid as his. I've seen many mistakes and wrong conclusions pointed out by others. I really got turned off when I saw him test-driving a car, hitting 90 on the freeway and expressing impatience at the people in his way. It was irresponsible and dangerous.

Maybe I'm being harsh. He reminds me of everybody's weird uncle that we have to see on holidays. But here, I can choose not to watch while I'm eating my turkey.
Make sure to watch the video where he tries to charge the ID4 at EA. Full weird uncle mode.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
[...snip...]
I'm not going to insult him just because his views might 'hurt' some people here.
I don't think anyone here is 'hurt' by his views; just pointing out that it's not backed by... anything?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
My big query, who is funding an engineer purchase a Mach-E (which others are waiting what seems like decades for)?

We believe he is being fully funded by Tesla to rip the Mach-E to pieces. Hence a strong bias.
I'm not surprised he gets to chat with Elon, oh yeah, he does.
And from what I've seen of his other video's he still seems to like the Mach-E in his under comments.

And if my reasoning is right, he must be enjoying all these new Tesla beating EV's entering the market - more for Tesla to pay him to rip them apart.
Maybe he can afford to retire after all.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
He comments about all of his innovation and experience in the 1980s. Im certainly not an automotive technology and manufacturing expert, but hasn’t the state of the art advanced somewhat since then?

also, someone should kindly explain to him the real reason for the screwup called the front trunk divider. We all agree that it’s a sad, half-baked last-minute add-in, but at least learn how to use the Google machine to get the right story.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
The gold standard for battery cooling is Porsche and Audi. TSLA can't hold a candle to their systems. I think the Mach-E is similar, but the proof will be if the very conservative DCFC curve is improved, esp. last 20% and repeated launches.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
With all due disrespect… he is a bafoon. its clear that he is claiming expertise that he doesn’t have. The frunk release wasn’t forgotten, it isn’t enabled yet, which required the dividers to be installed, which then necessitated the drilling of the mounting holes. I also noticed that he laid out every piece under the hood and claimed that they all made it much more complex than teslas design, in which he only included the tub, not all the surrounding covers.

This clown can go eat a family sized bag of rancid d*ck tips.
I had an interesting conversation with a friend who owns a Model S and is looking for an MME for his wife. He's watched all these videos and came away with a great deal of respect for the MME. It's not all as bad as we think apparently.

With that said @JoeDimwit, I think you're being too nice to Sandy. He's well past his prime and these videos (and others) show it. He's quite set it his ways, just like many of us. Ford and others are passing him by.

He ought to be making "Get Off My Lawn!" videos.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Maybe you should watch. My Mach-e is scheduled to be built June 21 and what he says still seems to make a lot of sense, particularly the risk of fluid leaks and why the frunk divider exists.
Tesla apparently improved their design in a year and Ford might be able to do the same.
But what he was told (or at least how he said it) was 100% incorrect. The release button has been in the design and implementation since the reveal in 2019. Last summer Ford apparently found out that they didn't meet the regulations for the frunk release exactly as stated, so they came up with the workaround of the dividers (only in the US). As such, they didn't change the mold for the frunk to have the holes because they were working with whatever agency gave them flak about the release. Starting very soon the frunk dividers will not be part of the process (and thus no holes drilled at the factory). That is also when we will get the ability to open the frunk electronically from the APP, B pillar buttons, and the LCD screen.

Yeah, he sure doesn't bother doing any research before he figures out all the whys and wherefores that went into the manufacturing. I will say that the access too the 12 volt battery is WAY too complicated and I don't look forward to having to do that; everyone who has done it already has mentioned that the clips are extremely easy to drop into the chasm underneath and disappear.

In general I am ok with his criticisms, and he does make what seem to be valid points. As pointed out by others, his infatuation with the way Tesla does things is certainly off-putting. I think that some of that comes from the fact that Tesla has contracted with him several times, so some of the stuff he's extolling are his own suggestions/designs.

Despite Tesla's brilliant cost saving measures they still don't make a profit off of selling cars, although if they keep raising prices they might manage to reach that plateau eventually.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
Ford apparently found out that they didn't meet the regulations for the frunk release exactly as stated, so they came up with the workaround of the dividers (only in the US)
All Mach-E s have dividers, regardless of target market.

Todd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT
Country flag
I don't think anyone here is 'hurt' by his views; just pointing out that it's not backed by... anything?
Sure seems like it the way the insults are flying ;) If it was 'just pointing out' stuff, we wouldn't be seeing insults or challenging his opinion now all of the sudden that he says something 'bad' instead of the earlier praise...

Anyhow, that's why the hurt was in quotes...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sure seems like it the way the insults are flying ;) If it was 'just pointing out' stuff, we wouldn't be seeing insults or challenging his opinion now all of the sudden that he says something 'bad' instead of the earlier praise...

Anyhow, that's why the hurt was in quotes...
I'm smart enough to know that I'm not smart enough to know, so I am generally OK with Sandy's analysis. His company's whole purpose is to analyze designs and improve efficiency and decrease costs (both manufacturing and maintenance).

His hamminess in this video and general onscreen personality can get in the way, and he does definitely seem to have a bias at times. With that said, I am not going to let that cause me to dismiss his analysis - but I certainly am not going to accept it as gospel either.
Sponsored