Murphy signs laws to spur solar energy, electric vehicles in N.J.’s climate change fight

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Huh. I literally just had panels installed on June 2nd and PSE&G hasn't replaced the meter yet (It took my town until tuesday to inspect it and send me the official interconnection certificate). So what does the just-signed SREC-II program do to the TRECs I just signed up for?

OP
OP
machefan

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The laws are:
  • S3484, which establishes a “dual-use” solar project pilot program for unpreserved farmland. It passed with bipartisan support in the Democratic-controlled Legislature.
  • S2605, which establishes a new program for solar renewable energy certificates under the state Board of Public Utilities. It passed largely along party lines.
  • S3223, which establishes requirements and zoning standards for the installation of electric vehicle supply equipment and parking spaces. It passed largely along party lines.
  • A1653, which encourages the development of zero-emission vehicle fueling and charging infrastructure in redevelopment projects. It passed with bipartisan support.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
S2605, which establishes a new program for solar renewable energy certificates under the state Board of Public Utilities. It passed largely along party lines.
It doesn't seem to mention anything about how this effects the TREC program that went into place last spring and apparently is now obsolete.

OP
OP
machefan

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It doesn't seem to mention anything about how this effects the TREC program that went into place last spring and apparently is now obsolete.
That's how it's looking. I see nothing about extending the rebates.

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
Huh. I literally just had panels installed on June 2nd and PSE&G hasn't replaced the meter yet (It took my town until tuesday to inspect it and send me the official interconnection certificate). So what does the just-signed SREC-II program do to the TRECs I just signed up for?
I doubt anything will change for you. My installation was in 2018 under the SREC program. They wanted to change the incentive structure and the TREC (Transition Renewable Energy Certificate) program was always intended to be a temporary transition to a more permanent incentive program, which is what I believe this new law sets the framework for. Details TBD by the BPU.

My SRECs haven't changed and I doubt your TRECs will either.

The time from install to when you're given the ok to turn on was agonizing, especially during these peak summer months. I had a similar drawn out delay. My installer told me to follow-up directly with the utility, in my case PSE&G, which helped push things along. Within a few days they gave the authorization to flip the switch.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I doubt anything will change for you. My installation was in 2018 under the SREC program. They wanted to change the incentive structure and the TREC (Transition Renewable Energy Certificate) program was always intended to be a temporary transition to a more permanent incentive program, which is what I believe this new law sets the framework for. Details TBD by the BPU.

My SRECs haven't changed and I doubt your TRECs will either.

The time from install to when you're given the ok to turn on was agonizing, especially during these peak summer months. I had a similar drawn out delay. My installer told me to follow-up directly with the utility, in my case PSE&G, which helped push things along. Within a few days they gave the authorization to flip the switch.
Hmm, maybe I'll call on tuesday if I haven't heard more. I got an email today that said "This Certificate of Completion has been processed, and a net meter set has been ordered for the service address."

And you're right, watching the sunniest days of the year tick by without being able to use them is getting annoying. Then there's the fact that I'll have to start making payments in about month with at best 2 weeks of production out if them...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
I finally got the net meter on July 13th, but still haven't gotten the PTO letter yet.
2+ weeks after getting your meter and still no PTO sounds odd, based on my experience.

If you haven't recently, I'd caller your installer and get them to give some insight. If you can get ahold of the correct contact at the utility, they may also be able to give you a status update.

Looking back on my install here's how things went:
Install-->Township Inspection-->Submit Application for Interconnection (Part 2)-->Wait...... (It took just under a month to get the PTO after the application was submitted. This occurred pretty much at the same time as the meter install.)

During the waiting period I had asked my installer about when they could turn the system on and he had said whenever they issue the PTO or when they install the net meter.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
2+ weeks after getting your meter and still no PTO sounds odd, based on my experience.

If you haven't recently, I'd caller your installer and get them to give some insight. If you can get ahold of the correct contact at the utility, they may also be able to give you a status update.

Looking back on my install here's how things went:
Install-->Township Inspection-->Submit Application for Interconnection (Part 2)-->Wait...... (It took just under a month to get the PTO after the application was submitted. This occurred pretty much at the same time as the meter install.)

During the waiting period I had asked my installer about when they could turn the system on and he had said whenever they issue the PTO or when they install the net meter.
Yes, I did turn the system on when I got the meter because I thought that was OK and so far no one has disabused me of that opinion. I also got a letter a few days later from PSE&G explaining my net meter along with a brochure of FAQ's. Might have to nudge them about the PTO letter, though.
Sponsored