Mustang Mach E has major powertrain issues. Dealership/service offering no help. Things to consider before buying this car

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
Look up the DPS6 lawsuit, Ford was selling defective transmissions, knew it, and kept selling them anyway. The Pinto killed people, they knew it and rolled with it. Ford's quality is in the bottom third of manufacturers. Other car manufacturers aren't saints either, just saying, Ford is what it is.

I owned a Ford Mustang of the 90's generation it was not a great vehicle. It was just another car that looked and sounded cooler than other cars.

The dealer network, who the heck knows. They're almost all a dice roll regardless of brand.

I'm 90% of the way there to buying one of these, so don't get me wrong, just, if you go after Tesla for it's flaws, be aware, Ford isn't that much higher on the quality list.

Anyways, I'll bow out of the thread, I don't really want to get into a brand fight online.
"Let me start a brand fight online then cut and run"
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The OP’s mechanical problems are far from typical. But I do have to agree with the sentiment re his customer service experience: Ford doesn’t care. Or if they do, they suck at showing it. Ford Customer Service is polite but totally worthless because they are totally powerless. The dealership service centers aren’t much better. Hope you get a speedy resolution.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
...Ford doesn’t care. Or if they do, they suck at showing it. Ford Customer Service is polite but totally worthless because they are totally powerless.
Ford (the automaker) demonstrably cares, as we've seen many examples of "above and beyond" customer service here.
They are saddled with an archaic dealer network model, over which (as you say) they are often powerless. They can't control thousands of individual interactions between customers and dealers, which are usually separate corporations in their own right.
That's very different than "not caring". Generalizations are easy to make, but not accurate or helpful sometimes.

KenStang21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I would reach out to Ford and start the process to lemon it. I think in CA, if the car is in the shop for 30 days it's pretty much a done deal. The process is pretty streamlined where they will re-imburse you for what you have already paid, minus the a charge for use based on mileage. They will usually give you some sort of certificate for a certain amount off your next ford.

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Make a You Tube page, complain, post the link on all different types of site and then get results. I cant believe this is the only way to get the attention of manufacturers nowadays. Hopefully your Mach-E gets fixed soon.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Ford (the automaker) demonstrably cares, as we've seen many examples of "above and beyond" customer service here.
They are saddled with an archaic dealer network model, over which (as you say) they are often powerless. They can't control thousands of individual interactions between customers and dealers, which are usually separate corporations in their own right.
That's very different than "not caring". Generalizations are easy to make, but not accurate or helpful sometimes.
I respectfully disagree. Ford has repeatedly demonstrated to me that they don’t care. I’m sure individual employees care. But Ford’s customer outreach as an institution stinks. I can’t even get a response from Ford re the issues I’ve reported.

It’s a bad indicator when some owners routinely suggest Twitter as a means of getting the attention of Ford employees who can actually make a difference. I don’t expect immediate resolution of issues - I expect acknowledgment that they are aware of and working on issues. I can’t even get that. And I (and others) deserve better. As I’ve said before, this isn’t an appliance - it’s a 50-60 thousand dollar car.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I respectfully disagree. Ford has repeatedly demonstrated to me that they don’t care. I’m sure individual employees care. But Ford’s customer outreach as an institution stinks. I can’t even get a response from Ford re the issues I’ve reported.

It’s a bad indicator when some owners routinely suggest Twitter as a means of getting the attention of Ford employees who can actually make a difference. I don’t expect immediate resolution of issues - I expect acknowledgment that they are aware of and working on issues. I can’t even get that. And I (and others) deserve better. As I’ve said before, this isn’t an appliance - it’s a 50-60 thousand dollar car.
I hear what you’re saying, and this situation is way beyond acceptable.

that said, Ford does not own the dealership. They can, and occasionally do, apply pressure on them, but they are independent businesses. The one you are using sounds like a bad dealership. Go to https://owner.ford.com/service/dealer-locator.html?gnav=header-finddealer , put in your location, and select the “Certified Electric Vehicle Repair” filter option. You need a dealership that’s not afraid of EV’s.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As we’ve pointed out, Ford reads this Forum and wants to help here.

I’m awaiting a response from the OP so I can put them in touch with the Mach E Team. Ford wants to step in to get this problem resolved.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Look up the DPS6 lawsuit, Ford was selling defective transmissions, knew it, and kept selling them anyway. The Pinto killed people, they knew it and rolled with it. Ford's quality is in the bottom third of manufacturers. Other car manufacturers aren't saints either, just saying, Ford is what it is.

I owned a Ford Mustang of the 90's generation it was not a great vehicle. It was just another car that looked and sounded cooler than other cars.

The dealer network, who the heck knows. They're almost all a dice roll regardless of brand.

I'm 90% of the way there to buying one of these, so don't get me wrong, just, if you go after Tesla for it's flaws, be aware, Ford isn't that much higher on the quality list.

Anyways, I'll bow out of the thread, I don't really want to get into a brand fight online.
One other thing to point out. A BEV vehicle has fewer parts than a Ice. Make sure we are comparing BEV problems to BEV.

All manufacturers have models that turn out great or have problems. Not a single one hasn't. Same with dealers all have bad and good. Not all Walmart, Krogers, targets, McDonald's are the same.

But when a BEV starts having more problems than an ice, well yeah it will get pointed out. If your only 90% maybe you should take your other 10% and go buy a tesla then.

Fords first true BEV the mache quality is way way better than tesla. Not even comparable. Let tesla start making some ICe vehicles and see what happens. Can't compare ICE to BEV.

Might as well go back in time and compare steam engine to ICE. or for shit and giggles a horse to steam engine.

Ludacris Sir have a nice day.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I'm thinking dealer service depts don't bring in (or send out for training) techs until a certain number of E-cars go out the door and/or start asking for service.

Maybe call GeekSquad....?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm thinking dealer service depts don't bring in (or send out for training) techs until a certain number of E-cars go out the door and/or start asking for service.

Not true at all.

I spoke in depth with a dealer service tech who is regularly being sent for EV training.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

That is not true at all.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Because of COVID, Ford didn't hold the hands-on training of techs they usually would. They had a virtual reality training put together.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...in-service-technicians-on-mach-e-mustang.415/

As Mach Es have come in for service, they have brought in Field Service Engineers to train service techs, hands-on. They also used early demo cars and their FCTP cars for hands-on training.
Sponsored