Mustang Mach E has major powertrain issues. Dealership/service offering no help. Things to consider before buying this car

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ideally both methods would be allowed, and consumers could choose. I have no problem with dealerships existing. In fact I think they offer a lot of advantages. But I don't like that they get exclusive rights to sell new vehicles in most states (i.e. direct sales being banned).

Allow both methods, and let them compete. Those that want to walk away with a car off the lot same day can do it that way. Those that are OK with special ordering (and paying) directly with the manufacturer and waiting weeks for delivery can do that. Perhaps those would have an extra fixed delivery fee tacked on to pick it up at a dealership (to cover the dealer's effort to receive & prep the vehicle for pickup), but that's fair.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Agreed. However, sales is where salespeople get their bonuses.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Its fixed!!!

Picked up the car from service couple of hours ago and all the errors have resolved. Just had a short drive home but everything seems to be working perfectly fine.

A big Thank you @ChasingCoral for connecting me to the engineering team to get this resolved.

Funny thing, the General Sales manager at the dealership handed the car back to me and not the service department. He or the service department didn't know how the car got fixed. They were aware that a Ford Engineer worked on the car but didn't know what he did.
They weren't able to give me a service summary form. I've asked them to email it to me so I'll update once I learn more.

Happy this is resolved and very excited to now drive and enjoy Mach-E and hopefully have the same wonderful experience everyone else has shared on this forum.
Glad to hear it. Hopefully this will also help get you better service if you need fixes in the future.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Its fixed!!!

Picked up the car from service couple of hours ago and all the errors have resolved. Just had a short drive home but everything seems to be working perfectly fine.

A big Thank you @ChasingCoral for connecting me to the engineering team to get this resolved.

Funny thing, the General Sales manager at the dealership handed the car back to me and not the service department. He or the service department didn't know how the car got fixed. They were aware that a Ford Engineer worked on the car but didn't know what he did.
They weren't able to give me a service summary form. I've asked them to email it to me so I'll update once I learn more.

Happy this is resolved and very excited to now drive and enjoy Mach-E and hopefully have the same wonderful experience everyone else has shared on this forum.
Congrats on getting it back fixed! I hope you get that information from the engineer soon so you know what he did.

Audiamer

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Red Mach E Premium
Country flag
Ha! he told me someone else was interested as well. Glad to hear you are happy with the red!

I actually paid $100 less than sticker price (they just gave me that discount).
Were they having trouble finding your Fordkey pass card? The salesguy didn't know where it was and I just had happened to notice it on the visor during our test drive. He said he needed to get that information to another customer.
Yeah, mine was at 70% charge as well.

I can't wait for companies to skip these middleman dealers. If such experiences continue, I'm sure that day is not too far away.

Turtle Click in Irvine was my next go to, so I'm glad you alerted me on your experience. Someone else suggested Villa Ford where they had good experience. I'll also keep HB and RSM in mind. Thanks!
Yup, he couldn’t find my card either until you told him where it was. Glad yours is fixed!

I went without mine for a day to have someone install a tow hitch and I missed it dearly. I would hate to be without it as long as you were! (I sound like a teenager in love, I know)

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the issues/service. I think Ford is doing it’s best, with some dealers doing much less so.

There are enough ongoing issues such that, like you, I don’t recommend the MMe to others. I know many people who do not participate in on-line forums, that have also had less than perfect experiences with their MMe. When people ask, I tell them - if you can wait, I would wait another 12-18 months.
I have 6,000+ miles on MME, and it's great. If it got wrecked, I'd buy another one tomorrow. fwiw.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I have 6,000+ miles on MME, and it's great. If it got wrecked, I'd buy another one tomorrow. fwiw.
I’m glad your experience has been perfect.
To this day I see posts about MMes being rejected at the dealer and other material issues. Some people don’t mind being without their car for days/weeks, others do.

In my view (perhaps only my view), waiting until FMC is able to more reliably produce the MME is worth considering. I don’t want friends/family to worry about fitment of the roof, doors being unable to close/open upon demand, etc. I’m simply suggesting that these and many other issues will eventually be solved at the factory-level such that in exchange for your $60k you will get an MMe that is perfect 100% of the time. Ford will get there, and in my view it’s worth waiting.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m glad your experience has been perfect.
To this day I see posts about MMes being rejected at the dealer and other material issues. Some people don’t mind being without their car for days/weeks, others do.

In my view (perhaps only my view), waiting until FMC is able to more reliably produce the MME is worth considering. I don’t want friends/family to worry about fitment of the roof, doors being unable to close/open upon demand, etc. I’m simply suggesting that these and many other issues will eventually be solved at the factory-level such that in exchange for your $60k you will get an MMe that is perfect 100% of the time. Ford will get there, and in my view it’s worth waiting.
Waiting for the kinks of early adoption to get worked out is fine. But no vehicle model ever has had, or ever will have, 100% perfection rate and 0% problem rate.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Waiting for the kinks of early adoption to get worked out is fine. But no vehicle model ever has had, or ever will have, 100% perfection rate and 0% problem rate.
Thank you for saying what I was thinking, I just don't always have the strength to type things over. This has been said many times, nothing will be perfect. The more technology the more that can go wrong, it's that simple. I love technology and accept that things are always evolving, sometimes you have to take a step back before you can go forward.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Agreed. Plus, we don't actually know what percentage of MMEs being sold are less than "perfect". Anecdotal evidence isn't worth much. Mine might be the exception, or the great, great majority might be nearly perfect.

We need data.

Adonnelly72

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Edit: super grateful for all the wonderful suggestions and the offer of help on this forum. However negative this experience, I am glad that it allowed this conversation to all you wonderful people. Many Thanks!

Bought new Mustang Mach E Premium in Infinite blew from Autonation Ford Tustin on April 21st. They had one in stock so I decided to just buy it. Paid sticker price. Once the finance paperwork was completed, sales guy told me that car had some technical issues and had to be kept overnight. So I went home and end of next day was told care is ready and picked it up. On the drive home, care showed a powertrain/brake malfunction error. Also gave a chargeport error every time care was started and randomly turned off while driving.

Took it back to the dealership and they still have the car and have made no progress on fixing it.

Its been a nightmare experience as they have my money and now in possession of my car. They can't be bothered to update me or provide a timeline when this will be resolved. Its been 20 days of this already and I have had a long time to think about things. Here are my reasons why I would NOT recommend this care to anyone.

1. Ford dealership service is not ready: They have no idea how to work on this car. When dropping off, the service adviser told me that they'll likely have to contact Ford hotline and this will take a while. Its been 20 days already and they have done nothing. The warranty this car comes with is pointless if they can't fix it.
  2. Ford dealership does not care at all: During these 20 days, dealership has not once initiated any communication. They haven't updated me on the progress or expected resolution. . I'll get a "we are working on it" reply if I keep contacting them a few times. I can't imagine a dealership providing worse service than this.
  3. Ford has provided no support: I have reached out to ford directly and they haven't provided any help whatsoever. All I am told is that they've called the dealership and service and have left messages but their calls are not being returned. For a company that's staking its future on BEV, I would expect more support for such major malfunction. Its telling that their influence on dealership is so minimal.
Overall the features, design and idea behind the care is fantastic. The drive is a bit harsh and you can hear lot of road noise but still fun to drive. But the company and dealerships standing behind it offer no support at all if something goes wrong.
I am having the same issue, first it was the charge port less than 30 days after purchase in June, now powertrain failure. I haven’t had my car for 2 weeks now?

F407EF2E-0D9E-4093-8484-D113B0310396.jpeg

OP
OP
Racdos

Racdos

First Name
Rac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium, Audi Q5
Country flag
I am having the same issue, first it was the charge port less than 30 days after purchase in June, now powertrain failure. I haven’t had my car for 2 weeks now?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mustang Mach E has major powertrain issues. Dealership/service offering no help. Things to consider before buying this car F407EF2E-0D9E-4093-8484-D113B0310396
Sorry to hear about your issues. It was very frustrating when it happened.
Hope your dealership has the technical knowhow to fix it quickly.
Once the fix happened (I am still not clear on what they did exactly), the car has worked fined for over 2000 miles now without any further issues.

Hope you get to enjoy it soon!