TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think EA has stopped yet. They're just in the middle of a build-out. Where they actually stop won't be known for years yet. It was only a few weeks ago they were able to announce their first complete cross-country coverage route (I-70/I-15).

Considering they had almost nothing just 2 years ago, it's actually been pretty impressive progress. (Not that it feels that way to anybody in a dead spot area with a BEV now, of course.)
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Agreed... Except as a potential Mach-E owner, I'm more interested in CCS plug locations than individual network coverage.

According to PlugShare, there are 21 CCS sites in Hawaii, 0 SuperChargers, and about 29 CHAdeMO sites. So a Tesla can definitely fast charge, but will need to plan ahead by getting a CHAdeMO adapter.

Alaska requires a lot more patience and trip planning... Only 4 CHAdeMO sites and they're all in Juneau. (If PlugShare is correct, there are no CCS or SuperCharger sites in the entire state, which is a huge land mass.)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Alaska requires a lot more patience and trip planning... Only 4 CHAdeMO sites and they're all in Juneau. (If PlugShare is correct, there are no CCS or SuperCharger sites in the entire state, which is a huge land mass.)
Except around the cities, BEVs wouldn't seen to make a lot of sense in Alaska anyway.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
6 or so CCS locations distributed along A4 could make the trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage possible...
Possible, sure. But that's just one route. Most of Alaska is rural America times 10 in terms of remoteness. Can be a long way between destinations, off main routes. Even generating electricity in a lot of places is a challenge. I'm guessing BEV sales will stay very low there in favor of the dependability of gasoline.

Small population, and a lot of people actually get around by plane and boat anyway.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If they're intent on ignoring 2 states, they're not going to pay attention to the needs of a rural buyer of their electric pickup.

Tesla has had a single charging station in Hawaii in the "planning" phase for about 4 years now. It's not coming anytime soon. Permits still haven't been pulled according to the Hawaii Tesla owners groups. And none are planned at all on either Maui or Hawaii Island where the second-largest city in the state is located. Oh, and their single sales location in the state (The new International Marketplace) has a level 2 charger.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
6 or so CCS locations distributed along A4 could make the trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage possible...
Exactly. Loading your MME or Tesla on the State Ferry to Juneau to use the chargers there is going above and beyond I'd say. :p

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
If they're intent on ignoring 2 states, they're not going to pay attention to the needs of a rural buyer of their electric pickup.

Tesla has had a single charging station in Hawaii in the "planning" phase for about 4 years now. It's not coming anytime soon. Permits still haven't been pulled according to the Hawaii Tesla owners groups. And none are planned at all on either Maui or Hawaii Island where the second-largest city in the state is located. Oh, and their single sales location in the state (The new International Marketplace) has a level 2 charger.
I figure if they had more charging spots in Hawaii people would buy BEVs just for the parking... At least on Oahu and Maui.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I figure if they had more charging spots in Hawaii people would buy BEVs just for the parking... At least on Oahu and Maui.
So ....

effective June 30 everything except driving in the carpool lanes on Oahu went away. No more free airport parking. No free state or county parking lot parking ... nothing. So there’s quite literally no reason to get the “electric vehicle” plate now. That’s an extra $50 per year. If the Polynesian Voyaging Society special electric plates are actually available I’ll get them but otherwise either Volcano National Park plates or the standard rainbow plates, personalized if I can get something cool on them.

Oh, why’d the free parking go away? The Honolulu airport authority said it was costing them $6 million per year in lost revenue. Not really, those same cars will now (post pandemic) park off airport or people will take shuttle services to the airport. They’ll still be out the $6 million in revenue.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My guess would be that the majority buyer for the F-150 BEV will be a local construction crew where the truck never really goes that far. Or some other local type business where they can charge it overnight at the office and then take it around the city.

Of course those local fleet buyers are looking for inexpensive which the F-150 BEV won't be...

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
My guess would be that the majority buyer for the F-150 BEV will be a local construction crew where the truck never really goes that far. Or some other local type business where they can charge it overnight at the office and then take it around the city.

Of course those local fleet buyers are looking for inexpensive which the F-150 BEV won't be...
The Ford F-150 is the single most popular truck in America today and the most-popular vehicle in 44 states. It outsold the Ram pickup in 2019 by 78%.

Here are the answers to “who buys Ford pickup trucks?” with demographic information on new F-150 owners.

The average age of the new F-150 buyer is 55. It may not be too surprising that about 16% of new Ford F-150 owners are female/84% male. About three-quarters of all new Ford F-150s are purchased by white males, although Hispanic buyers account for 22% of total incremental growth of new F-150 sales from 2010 to 2017.

Despite any TV ads you see with F-150s in a rural or country setting, the vast majority of these new trucks are in large and medium-sized cities.

The average household income of a new Ford F-150 owner is about $82,000 per year. By comparison the median household income in the United States was $61,372 in 2017.

With better mpg many people drive a F-150 and never or barley use to for hauling or uses you need a truck for. That is why companies have stopped or cut back making cars. The demand for SUV or trucks has went through the roof. You think the company's want more cars? The profit margins on those trucks and suv sales are massive compared to a small car. If ford launches a F-150 with 300 to 400 mile range with a reasonable price, the demand will be unreal.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
The Ford F-150 is the single most popular truck in America today and the most-popular vehicle in 44 states. It outsold the Ram pickup in 2019 by 78%.

Here are the answers to “who buys Ford pickup trucks?” with demographic information on new F-150 owners.

The average age of the new F-150 buyer is 55. It may not be too surprising that about 16% of new Ford F-150 owners are female/84% male. About three-quarters of all new Ford F-150s are purchased by white males, although Hispanic buyers account for 22% of total incremental growth of new F-150 sales from 2010 to 2017.

Despite any TV ads you see with F-150s in a rural or country setting, the vast majority of these new trucks are in large and medium-sized cities.

The average household income of a new Ford F-150 owner is about $82,000 per year. By comparison the median household income in the United States was $61,372 in 2017.

With better mpg many people drive a F-150 and never or barley use to for hauling or uses you need a truck for. That is why companies have stopped or cut back making cars. The demand for SUV or trucks has went through the roof. You think the company's want more cars? The profit margins on those trucks and suv sales are massive compared to a small car. If ford launches a F-150 with 300 to 400 mile range with a reasonable price, the demand will be unreal.
LOL ok (note I do have family at Ford and used to work there as well a while ago...also did a stint at GM... ;) )

Not sure about the demand, however: All those truck buyers aren't exactly the same people rushing out to buy BEV's. Many will be taking a "wait and see attitude" towards a BEV F-150 (especially seeing how the range drops so much on the Model X when towing) (frankly I think the much larger seller will be that new hybrid one with the huge generator on it--that is a gamechanger for families pulling a travel trailer).

As a side note: If Ford were to take that hybrid powertrain from the new F-150 and put it in the F-53 and/or E-350/E-450 chassis and let the RV manufacturers tap into the power...that would be huge for the RV business. Could put the Onan part of Cummins out of business since now the generator is no longer required.

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL ok (note I do have family at Ford and used to work there as well a while ago...also did a stint at GM... ;) )

Not sure about the demand, however: All those truck buyers aren't exactly the same people rushing out to buy BEV's. Many will be taking a "wait and see attitude" towards a BEV F-150 (especially seeing how the range drops so much on the Model X when towing) (frankly I think the much larger seller will be that new hybrid one with the huge generator on it--that is a gamechanger for families pulling a travel trailer).

As a side note: If Ford were to take that hybrid powertrain from the new F-150 and put it in the F-53 and/or E-350/E-450 chassis and let the RV manufacturers tap into the power...that would be huge for the RV business. Could put the Onan part of Cummins out of business since now the generator is no longer required.
Great your have family and yourself in the auto industry. But with the electric the F-250 and up no plans yet for electric. I don't know where they would even put the underbody line at for that at KTP. The place is maxed out already. Might go back to Ohab in Ohio they have the room.
Alot of people that drive F-150 and statics show it never use the truck but for highway driving same as a car. All the trucks we make anymore are extended cab crew cab. Most 2 door or commercial sold or very few and sent to mexico. I do agree people might be wait and see, but that didn't stop the Mache demand being now over double almost triple of what ford thought sales would be, or the demand for the bronco being so high.

Right now ford is throwing strikes and hitting on all cylinders. They cut cars out and the Flex, plus the Lincoln continental. Worked the launch on the continental was great car but, not one wanted a luxury sedan anymore.

THe rush the last year on EV vehicles is enormous.

Ford Motor Co will significantly increase its planned investments in electric vehicles to $11 billion by 2022 and have 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles in its model lineup, Chairman Bill Ford said. The investment figure is sharply higher than a previously announced target of $4.5 billion by 2020. Of the 40 electrified vehicles Ford plans for its global lineup by 2022, 16 will be fully electric and the rest will be plug-in hybrids, executives said.

Right there tells you the tell tale sign, the young generation are pushing for electric vehicles. You either change or get left behind.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Great your have family and yourself in the auto industry. But with the electric the F-250 and up no plans yet for electric. I don't know where they would even put the underbody line at for that at KTP. The place is maxed out already. Might go back to Ohab in Ohio they have the room.
Alot of people that drive F-150 and statics show it never use the truck but for highway driving same as a car. All the trucks we make anymore are extended cab crew cab. Most 2 door or commercial sold or very few and sent to mexico. I do agree people might be wait and see, but that didn't stop the Mache demand being now over double almost triple of what ford thought sales would be, or the demand for the bronco being so high.

Right now ford is throwing strikes and hitting on all cylinders. They cut cars out and the Flex, plus the Lincoln continental. Worked the launch on the continental was great car but, not one wanted a luxury sedan anymore.

THe rush the last year on EV vehicles is enormous.

Ford Motor Co will significantly increase its planned investments in electric vehicles to $11 billion by 2022 and have 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles in its model lineup, Chairman Bill Ford said. The investment figure is sharply higher than a previously announced target of $4.5 billion by 2020. Of the 40 electrified vehicles Ford plans for its global lineup by 2022, 16 will be fully electric and the rest will be plug-in hybrids, executives said.

Right there tells you the tell tale sign, the young generation are pushing for electric vehicles. You either change or get left behind.
Yeah I remember that announcement of the $4.5 billion. Can't wait to see all these new cars--its been a long time coming.

So was either the Bronco or Mach-E demand being so high a surprise? (I would guess probably more of a surprise for the Mach-E)

Next question: Will there be a Ranger or a Bronco with a plug?

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I remember that announcement of the $4.5 billion. Can't wait to see all these new cars--its been a long time coming.

So was either the Bronco or Mach-E demand being so high a surprise? (I would guess probably more of a surprise for the Mach-E)

Next question: Will there be a Ranger or a Bronco with a plug?
Fords website crashed, couldn't keep up with the orders for the Bronco. Demand for both are way above explanations. Are far as plug in Bronco not as this time. Ranger well here is a article on that.

https://www.motor1.com/news/424683/2022-ford-ranger-rumors/

The thing now with the automobile industry is like a cell phone. Today people are spending so much money on new tech, they want the next years model now. Use to be model years of vehicles would last around 7 years. Not no more 3 to 5 years and Trim and interior can change each year. The saying at the assembly plant is we are always in a launch now, and in the union contract since its a launch they can call line time anywhere from 10 hours a day to 11.5.

The old way companies use to do cars has changed. No more will we have 15 new things for the vehicle but we will only put one thing out a year keep them trading in for new. It is so cut throat now what is new today tomorrow is obsolete.

The EV market is busting at the seam and the tesla model y, the mache, polstar 2, in 5 years tech will make it far behind. The tech on the lithium battery and solid state batteries for electric cars is being pushed to the limits now. Everyone wants the be the one to find the comprise longer range and longer battery life.
Sponsored