TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In better news, peugfan on the Mach E Club forum pointed out two posts on the Blue Oval Forums that over 90 Mach E units were produced in Cuautitlan before the shutdown (same source said 97 in one post and over 90 on another). That's seems like a lot for test units. I wonder if these are the first ~100 of the ~4000 early productions for demo and test ride, too? I'm checking to find verification of that >90 number.
I'm guessing those are all still considered pre-production units. At least for now. What happens to them after production starts is a curious question though. Do they take them and retrofit them to the finalized specs so they can be sold or used as dealer demos? Or as Grahame said, in crash tests? Or does that invalidate the test if it's not an official production model?

I'm guessing they stay in the hands of Ford (not sent to dealers or customers). It's not even 1 day's worth of production once the plant gets up to speed.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I'm guessing they stay in the hands of Ford (not sent to dealers or customers). It's not even 1 day's worth of production once the plant gets up to speed.
Yes, pre-production units are not built to be sale-able to customers. They'll stay within Ford until they are eventually disposed of. Sad, but that's how it goes.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, pre-production units are not built to be sale-able to customers. They'll stay within Ford until they are eventually disposed of. Sad, but that's how it goes.
Interesting. Do they even receive a VIN? Would they count against the theoretical first 4000 reservations?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Interesting. Do they even receive a VIN? Would they count against the theoretical first 4000 reservations?
Never paid attention to the VIN. I'm assuming they do because these pre-production units that are intended to be drive-able are titled as non-saleable and have a manufacturer license plate if they are driven in public. Different rules apply if they have an "M" plate, allowing more leeway for driving units that may not meet safety standards, etc.

My understanding is pre-production units don't count against the approximate 50k customer unit count.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I heard the same today from my source in Cuautitlan. He confirmed the estimate of 90+ seems about right. He also indicated again that they are about half way through pre-production. The new info was that some of the pre-production may include sellable units. Dealer demos perhaps?

Just glad they are making progress.
Sponsored