Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
I'll add my 2 cents here: I would not have bought it had they named it anything other than with the word Mustang in the name.
Honestly, same lol. I’ve always wanted a Mustang but I also wanted the next car I own to be an EV (also bad back makes Mustang too low and difficult which is why I never got one) so when they announced this car I laughed like crazy. It was made for me!

If you were joking though my apologies for the gullibility ?

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'll add my 2 cents here: I would not have bought it had they named it anything other than with the word Mustang in the name.
Same. I honestly might have gone with the Bolt if that was the case.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
So much this. People can say it would have been just as successful naming it a “pinto” or whatever, but this is unequivocally false. Mustang name and badges add desirability and value. The idea that Ford execs don’t know this as well (which is the entire reason they were willing to accept the risk of brand dilution) is just asinine.

One can argue that the risk will not payoff for Ford in the end, and they may end up being right. But frankly I don’t think Ford could have envisioned reception being any better than it has so far.

Somewhat ironically, between the time I posted about their potential problem with the camaro getting a head start with electrification had they not used the mustang name and now, dodge announced an electric “muscle car.”

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I probably would have bought it even if it wasn’t called a Mustang so long as it was still a sporty vehicle. But the Mustangness of it definitely is a big plus for me too - it’s a great stablemate to my 2006 Mustang GT!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mustang Mach-E wins Car and Driver's 2021 EV of the Year award 634698D8-677D-4704-A92C-D936C3BD0EBB

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'd like to think Ford is smart enough to at least have a Crossover AND a Coupe even if they're all EV's in the future.
As long as Jim Farley, Dave Pericak, and the other "car guys" at Ford are around they will not cancel the coupe. Those guys LOVE mustangs, and Dave Pericak made it clear that he had the engineers keep refining the Mach E until it was worthy of the Mustang badge. One thing that certainly WILL happen is that the ICE coupe is going to go away eventually, but they will have a coupe BEV in the stable before that happens.

Yeah what worries me about the Mustang is the fact that they've scrapped pretty much every other car and now they've suddenly come out with a 'Mustang' Crossover. It just reeks of 'hey we noticed everyone is loving the new Mustang Crossover, so we also got rid of the Coupe since no one likes cars anymore'

Which BTW I think is such horse shit, this mentality that everyone is tired of cars. Just because you're forcing us into trucks and SUV's doesn't mean that's what I want.
Totally agree - I didn't want a crossover and I sure as hell didn't want an SUV. However, I DID want a fun to drive BEV and am still very happy that they came out with the Mach E. I would have been happier with it as a coupe, but I completely understand that they had to go for the bigger slice of the market - and IMO they got it just right. Hopefully when my options plan comes to term in 4 years there will be a mustang convertible BEV coupe!

And I would argue that those awards, favorable opinions, and production limits working together to make the brand more valuable would all have still applied if they had named it simply “Mach-E”, or Pinto Mach-E, or Thunderbird Mach-E, or Edge Mach-E. The name of the vehicle doesn’t have any bearing on how a vehicle is built, reviewed, or awarded.
So much this. People can say it would have been just as successful naming it a “pinto” or whatever, but this is unequivocally false. Mustang name and badges add desirability and value.
Wholeheartedly agree. There would not be nearly as much interest without the styling and nameplate. It reminds me of when the mayor in jaws says "you yell 'barracuda' and everyone says 'what' or 'huh'. You yell 'shark' and you have a panic on your hands". Similarly if you say 'Ford Mach E BEV' or 'Ford Escape BEV' people will say "oh that's nice"; if you say 'Mustang Mach E' now you've grabbed their attention.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So much this. People can say it would have been just as successful naming it a “pinto” or whatever, but this is unequivocally false. Mustang name and badges add desirability and value. The idea that Ford execs don’t know this as well (which is the entire reason they were willing to accept the risk of brand dilution) is just asinine.

One can argue that the risk will not payoff for Ford in the end, and they may end up being right. But frankly I don’t think Ford could have envisioned reception being any better than it has so far.

Somewhat ironically, between the time I posted about their potential problem with the camaro getting a head start with electrification had they not used the mustang name and now, dodge announced an electric “muscle car.”
Given that Ford is now manufacturing and selling more Mustang EVs than the ICE versions, I would say that their strategy was a good one.

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
I honestly don't know what I would have done. When I was investigating EVs (only a few weeks ago), I was all set to get a Kia Niro, then I found out about the ID4, and from that the Mach E. I had seen the Mustang Mach E name earlier, but had totally written it off because it was a Mustang, and I was looking for a crossover, not a coupe. I just assumed it was like the ICE Mustangs.
When I found out it was a crossover, I was intrigued and started watching videos and reading reviews. If it didn't have the name, I might not have heard about it at all, or might have ignored it entirely. It was the combo of the Mach E name and the fact that it was the kind of car I wanted that got me interested. I don't know if I would have even looked at an EV Edge or Fusion. Maybe a Thunderbird.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I know magazines are pretty much dead, but I have a free subscription to Car and Driver. Have for years which is the only reason why I still browse them. Anyway, the EV of the Year issue just came to me today and its actually a really good issue. The entire magazine is dedicated to EVs in general, from putting to bed myths some folks have about EVs, to battery tech, to future plans. Its' a good read.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
It would have completely flown under my radar. I would have ended up with a Tesla. It was a smart move on the part of ford even if it was controversial. Hell it being controversial may have helped them, because it got people talking.
Here is the secret. I always wanted a mustang. I rented them occasionally. This one though hit all the boxes. I was intent on my next vehicle being electric, and best of my music equipment I needed a hatchback.
I would have ignored an edge or fusion. But I have to agree a thunderbird name may have drawn me in, but that's it.

I think it was a strategic and risky move by ford, but also a smart. It draws attention.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It would have completely flown under my radar. I would have ended up with a Tesla. It was a smart move on the part of ford even if it was controversial. Hell it being controversial may have helped them, because it got people talking.
Here is the secret. I always wanted a mustang. I rented them occasionally. This one though hit all the boxes. I was intent on my next vehicle being electric, and best of my music equipment I needed a hatchback.
I would have ignored an edge or fusion. But I have to agree a thunderbird name may have drawn me in, but that's it.

I think it was a strategic and risky move by ford, but also a smart. It draws attention.
I think you are very much not alone. Despite the blowback from motorheads, the name has helped in many more ways than hurt. I too was going to get a BEV as my next car because I hated burning so much gas just to get to work (I changed jobs 6 months after I got my 2015 mustang convertible, going from a ten mile roundtrip to 100 miles). Had the MachE been an "Escape-E" I would have been on the fence between it and a model 3, leaning more toward the 3.

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
If they hadn't called it a Mustang, I'd still be driving my Volt. I was thinking I would keep my Volt another 2-3 years and then investigate going full electric. When I heard about the MME, I started investigating it and, due to all the good reviews and enthusiasm for the vehicle, I became enamored with it and moved my time table up.

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Interesting. Anyone know of secondary sales?
Safe to say it is worth more than you paid for it right now. There aren’t many comps, but I’ve been tracking TrueCar, Vroom, CarGurus, etc. out of curiosity and most that go up for sale are in the 60’s. A RWD Premium with 25k miles on it sold for $52k recently.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Safe to say it is worth more than you paid for it right now. There aren’t many comps, but I’ve been tracking TrueCar, Vroom, CarGurus, etc. out of curiosity and most that go up for sale are in the 60’s. A RWD Premium with 25k miles on it sold for $52k recently.
I've halfway considered buying a demo MME and then just selling it when my GT comes in, but it's just too much hassle and my Fusion still looks and feels great so I said screw it.
Sponsored