SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
A buddy brought his Model X 75D over for a couple of comparison rides and lookie-loos.

Side-by-side, the X is (obviously) bigger, and it really makes the Mustang look more like a car than an SUV.
I did not get interior pictures of the X.
The very first thing I noticed when I got into the X was its gigantic windscreen. The glass goes well above your head, out of sight. I thought, "well that's neat!" We'll put a pin in that thought.

The passenger seat was set for my friend's young daughter, so it was very high and I bumped the back of my head on the ceiling bump behind that huge piece of glass. The space seemed roomy, but I think it was because of the glass because my shoulders felt too close to the door and my head was too close to the ceiling, even after lowering the seat. The illusion of room is belied by the very strong curves of the body.

While driving, it feels like many other vehicles, but not like a luxury vehicle. The ride was bumpy on our rough roads; the acceleration was strong but not as amazing as I had expected. It does not have hands-free. It does have a map of Mars as a silly option to put onto the navigation screen, which is massive. And the fart sound...

Then there's that amazing piece of glass. It seemed really awesome when I first entered the vehicle. But... (there's always a but; well, several buts)... There's basically no way to block the Sun, which means I was getting a bit nauseated from the constant flickering. Yes, there are some tiny sun shades, but they're clearly an afterthought. The curvature of the glass makes it a lens and so my peripheral vision was being toyed with constantly, which contributed to the nausea. I did not like that glass.

Overall, even if the X had been affordable, I would have discounted it as an option pretty quickly.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mustang v Model X PXL_20220225_204905036
Sponsored

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
And then there's the price of the X. If the MME were priced as much as the X, there would be a lot of MME's sitting on dealer lots available for sale at MSRP or below.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I agree about the windshield on the Model X. A family member has one, and I find I dislike it because the sun is always in your eyes, the shades are like you said tiny, and the tint near the top is frankly pretty ineffective.

I think the inside could be nicer too. I understand the minimalist thing, but I think they need better lines or curves in there. Volvo does minimalist interiors better. Tesla’s interiors to me feel more spartan than minimalist.

Also, the passenger footwell seems unusually shallow to me on the Model X. Even with the passenger seat all the way back, my feet feel like they don’t have enough room and between the sun in my eyes and my cramped feet, I’m not the biggest fan of riding in the Model X from the perspective of the front seat passenger.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I think the inside could be nicer too. I understand the minimalist thing, but I think they need better lines or curves in there. Volvo does minimalist interiors better. Tesla’s interiors to me feel more spartan than minimalist.
I think it's even worse than spartan. It's like they refused to hire a designer and instead said, "we're engineers, we can do it ourselves."

Also, the passenger footwell seems unusually shallow to me on the Model X. Even with the passenger seat all the way back, my feet feel like they don’t have enough room and between the sun in my eyes and my cramped feet, I’m not the biggest fan of riding in the Model X from the perspective of the front seat passenger.
Yes! I'm 6'1" and felt cramped in this giant space. I hit the back of my head on the headliner; my legs were cramped; and I couldn't figure out where to put my right arm. There's no armrest on the passenger door. There's no "oh shit bar" anywhere. There's nowhere to put my arm.

Reactions: ARK