Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
One thing I really love about Tesla are the OTA upgrades, major and minor. These updates have led to somewhat remarkable improvements to the cars without a cent to the user,

Then you have paid, totally ‘new toy’ updates like speed increases, essentially allowing the owner to go from a base model car to semi performance.

I know Ford has stated there will be an OTA update for self driving . But I really hope Ford follows the Tesla OTA model of providing frequent OTA updates for quality of life improvements,efficiency improvements, App additions, etc. This is for me, an incredibly important factor in the EV experience. I know I will be sorely disappointed if the MachE does not receive this kind of attention from Ford.

I’m a little scared that Ford, being the historically Corporate entity that it is, will not ‘get’ this. But I’m telling Ford that if you want to woo potential or even current Tesla customers, this OTA service model is an absolute must.

I’m really leaning towards Leasing for this reason. If I’m happy with how Ford has handled the EV experience I’ll just buy the car at the end of 3 years. In 3 years there will be a ridiculous amount of EVs to choose from, and Tesla will hopefully have upped their fit and finish quality as a result. So lots of places to go if Ford disappoints.

I wish we could get Ford to do a full web seminar on their plans for OTA services. I’d love to know how far they have thought this through and what their philosophy is regarding providing improvements to their early adopters via OTA. Won’t be long now before many of us are driving these vehicles around. I guess I’ll have my answer soon enough. I’m rooting for Ford here. I just hope they have their head in the game on all that encompasses EV culture.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, Ford "gets" it with OTA. They went through a lot of time and expense to make everything field upgradeable, and not to leverage that would be dumb. Ford will have lots of updates, although the advanced technology of making farting noises may not be among them.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Note that OTA updates is not exclusive to the Mach-E for Ford. The 2021 F-150 also has the ability, as does a Lincoln if I remember correctly. My guess would be that Ford will be rolling this platform out on all their vehicles in due course.

Then Ford isn't limited to only upgrading the Mach-E; they can do this for any vehicle.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
One thing I really love about Tesla are the OTA upgrades, major and minor. These updates have led to somewhat remarkable improvements to the cars without a cent to the user,

Then you have paid, totally ‘new toy’ updates like speed increases, essentially allowing the owner to go from a base model car to semi performance.

I know Ford has stated there will be an OTA update for self driving . But I really hope Ford follows the Tesla OTA model of providing frequent OTA updates for quality of life improvements,efficiency improvements, App additions, etc. This is for me, an incredibly important factor in the EV experience. I know I will be sorely disappointed if the MachE does not receive this kind of attention from Ford.

I’m a little scared that Ford, being the historically Corporate entity that it is, will not ‘get’ this. But I’m telling Ford that if you want to woo potential or even current Tesla customers, this OTA service model is an absolute must.

I’m really leaning towards Leasing for this reason. If I’m happy with how Ford has handled the EV experience I’ll just buy the car at the end of 3 years. In 3 years there will be a ridiculous amount of EVs to choose from, and Tesla will hopefully have upped their fit and finish quality as a result. So lots of places to go if Ford disappoints.

I wish we could get Ford to do a full web seminar on their plans for OTA services. I’d love to know how far they have thought this through and what their philosophy is regarding providing improvements to their early adopters via OTA. Won’t be long now before many of us are driving these vehicles around. I guess I’ll have my answer soon enough. I’m rooting for Ford here. I just hope they have their head in the game on all that encompasses EV culture.
I wish a lease made sense in my case. I have a monster daily commute that would bust the mileage cap. I'll keep the car for 4 or 5 years, then I look forward to really seeing what else is out there.
Sponsored