Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Things don't start to get interesting until you're below 10v....

Not sure what moron was like "hey, when doing updates, let's make the 12v powered HV battery coolant pump run full bore!"

You need about 25 amps of power to do the updates.
That’s not a moron decision. It’s a fail safe. When the module that controls the pumps looses network connectivity to the rest of the modules, it runs the pumps. When the car is updated, it puts other modules to sleep, so it’s the same as loosing contact.
Sponsored

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
That’s not a moron decision. It’s a fail safe. When the module that controls the pumps looses network connectivity to the rest of the modules, it runs the pumps. When the car is updated, it puts other modules to sleep, so it’s the same as loosing contact.
And yet a single line of code monitoring input voltage could have turned it from moronic, to smart.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I don’t think you’re understanding fail-safe.
If voltage is below 12v, there's no reason to keep the unit on when the brakes and steering are powered via it. The pump continued to run down to 9.5v. That's not 'fail safe', it's piss poor programming.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
If voltage is below 12v, there's no reason to keep the unit on when the brakes and steering are powered via it. The pump continued to run down to 9.5v. That's not 'fail safe', it's piss poor programming.
So if there’s a situation where the batteries are hot and there’s some sort of malfunction, you’d opt to just let the pumps stop working, providing as much cooling as possible until they can’t anymore?

Sounds like piss poor planning if the car was being updated without a power supply.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
So if there’s a situation where the batteries are hot and there’s some sort of malfunction, you’d opt to just let the pumps stop working, providing as much cooling as possible until they can’t anymore?

Sounds like piss poor planning if the car was being updated without a power supply.
Yes, the BECM has temp sensors and can shut the contactors off. Before that point it'd tell the driver to pull over as the battery is overheating. All of that is already part of the car. Having the pumps go full ruhtard over no communication is piss poor coding.

It serves nothing.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes, the BECM has temp sensors and can shut the contactors off. Before that point it'd tell the driver to pull over as the battery is overheating. All of that is already part of the car. Having the pumps go full ruhtard over no communication is piss poor coding.

It serves nothing.
So you'd rather have your motor drive unit fail from lack of oil lubrication due to a communication failure? Have the heater core melt due to no flow? Cook the IGBTs in motor inverter? Those coolant and oil pumps are critical components which is why they have failsafe operation. They prevent expensive damage while still allowing the vehicle to drive with partial communications failure. It's called FMECA in the automative industry, and it's not an oversight no matter how dumb it seems to you. If the pumps don't know what's happening, they run to protect their systems.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
So you'd rather have your motor drive unit fail from lack of oil lubrication due to a communication failure? Have the heater core melt due to no flow? Cook the IGBTs in motor inverter? Those coolant and oil pumps are critical components which is why they have failsafe operation. They prevent expensive damage while still allowing the vehicle to drive with partial communications failure. It's called FMECA in the automative industry, and it's not an oversight no matter how dumb it seems to you. If the pumps don't know what's happening, they run to protect their systems.
Yes, I'd rather be presented with info and allow me to make decisions.

Some are incapable of making the correct decision when presented with information; I'm not one of them. I'd much rather have a smarter module that can see that voltage is dropping understanding the the DC/DC is off. Everything you've mentioned are already protected. The only area temp sensors are not present is in the HVBJB, which is why they fail.

When a module loses communication, defaulting on is just a poor choice. I'd much rather have over-temp warnings to base decisions on over a module going stupid and draining the 12v system because a line of code to monitor the 12v bus is missing. I think anyone attempting to comment on this circumstance have that blowing right over their head. If the DC/DC is off, and there's no communication, the module is at fault, not the vehicle. As such, if it detects sub 12v present, yes, it should turn off as its communication is 1 variable, lack of communication and no DC/DC being present is 2 variables and the fault resides in it, not the vehicle.

If however as I've suggested that a comm failure is present, but the DC/DC is working, then yes, it can run. If it has both comm failure and the DC/DC is off, then no, it shouldn't run.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yes, I'd rather be presented with info and allow me to make decisions.

Some are incapable of making the correct decision when presented with information; I'm not one of them. I'd much rather have a smarter module that can see that voltage is dropping understanding the the DC/DC is off. Everything you've mentioned are already protected. The only area temp sensors are not present is in the HVBJB, which is why they fail.

When a module loses communication, defaulting on is just a poor choice. I'd much rather have over-temp warnings to base decisions on over a module going stupid and draining the 12v system because a line of code to monitor the 12v bus is missing. I think anyone attempting to comment on this circumstance have that blowing right over their head. If the DC/DC is off, and there's no communication, the module is at fault, not the vehicle. As such, if it detects sub 12v present, yes, it should turn off as its communication is 1 variable, lack of communication and no DC/DC being present is 2 variables and the fault resides in it, not the vehicle.

If however as I've suggested that a comm failure is present, but the DC/DC is working, then yes, it can run. If it has both comm failure and the DC/DC is off, then no, it shouldn't run.
How are you going to get over temp warnings in a situation where the can busses are offline? How is the IPC/APIM or whatever else going to get that message from the various modules? Those various modules may not be able to fully understand the picture of whats going on because they've lost sensor inputs.

In reality what happens is you get a SSN from the IPC because it's lost connection, and everything goes into fail safe mode. Power steering is on full assist 100% of the time when it can't communicate, pumps run, etc.

This is worst case scenario - all busses offline - which is what happens when you update some modules with FDRS. Some modules only take a single bus offline.

Not to mention almost all people driving this vehicle simply need to know the level of failure. 1. Safe to drive but see a dealer or 2. Pull over now. People drive with their temp gauges pegged and oil lights on all the time. They're idiots but you have to plan everything out for idiots.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
How are you going to get over temp warnings in a situation where the can busses are offline? How is the IPC/APIM or whatever else going to get that message from the various modules? Those various modules may not be able to fully understand the picture of whats going on because they've lost sensor inputs.

In reality what happens is you get a SSN from the IPC because it's lost connection, and everything goes into fail safe mode. Power steering is on full assist 100% of the time when it can't communicate, pumps run, etc.

This is worst case scenario - all busses offline - which is what happens when you update some modules with FDRS. Some modules only take a single bus offline.

Not to mention almost all people driving this vehicle simply need to know the level of failure. 1. Safe to drive but see a dealer or 2. Pull over now. People drive with their temp gauges pegged and oil lights on all the time. They're idiots but you have to plan everything out for idiots.
The car isn't working without the busses. These hypotheticals are hilarious.
"but what are you going to do if your battery doesn't work"
Drive one of my other ones because this one is dead.

tobin1920

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ever find a way to get this one to clear? I’m seeing it too on a friend’s car. Sounds like we might have to wait for Ford to fix something server side. PCM was successful prior to this, but now it still shows as the only remaining update and quickly fails with the same error each time.
  1. Error: "Procedure Unsuccesful - GetConfigDataFromGIVIS Modified Configuration data is missing from Ford server"

OP
OP

duck2412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Ever find a way to get this one to clear? I’m seeing it too on a friend’s car. Sounds like we might have to wait for Ford to fix something server side. PCM was successful prior to this, but now it still shows as the only remaining update and quickly fails with the same error each time.
  1. Error: "Procedure Unsuccesful - GetConfigDataFromGIVIS Modified Configuration data is missing from Ford server"
I never resolved that issue. I only had a 24 hour license so ran out of time :( So i guess i will have a look at it the next time i update the car...

tobin1920

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I never resolved that issue. I only had a 24 hour license so ran out of time :( So i guess i will have a look at it the next time i update the car...
thanks for getting back to me. I tried again yesterday around noon EST and the PCM update had mysteriously disappeared (assuming the server side issue was resolved?) and it showed the GWM, allowing me to do GWM > (new shiny) APIM > GWM. My 2 day license is good through today, if you want to post or DM your VIN I could let you know what you’ve got going on in the Updates tab today.

OP
OP

duck2412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
thanks for getting back to me. I tried again yesterday around noon EST and the PCM update had mysteriously disappeared (assuming the server side issue was resolved?) and it showed the GWM, allowing me to do GWM > (new shiny) APIM > GWM. My 2 day license is good through today, if you want to post or DM your VIN I could let you know what you’ve got going on in the Updates tab today.
Nice! :) I have sent a DM