MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Hi all! As I finally received my MachE, I can actually contribute my experience rather than just live vicariously through you all!!

Day1 MachE.jpg

Prologue:

Last Wednesday I received an email from Ford my Rapid Red GT was on it’s way to the dealer, by noon I had a text from my sales person at Interstate Ford here in Colorado (fantastic dealer experience…myself/family buy all our Fords from there) that my car arrived late Tuesday and I can come by Wednesday evening for pickup! Easy/fast closing with no problems with xplan pricing, Ford Options (with rebate), etc. The only hiccup was the pre-loaded profile I sent to the car never worked (sales person said it popped up when they were moving the car to the charger earlier in the day, but it never came back…guess I should have pushed it just before I turned the car on…if anyone knows how to reset and force a profile pre-load to work…let me know…I searched and found nothing). Drove it home Wednesday night and on Thursday morning promptly drove it to The Man Cave in Westminster CO for some front PPF, Ceramic and L/R front window tint (met another MachE owner dropping car off at the same time!). Friday afternoon I was driving an amazingly shiny and well protected GT around.

Took family for a ride and even let my teenager take it for a spin (highly supervised so he made very good choices ?). As he is a teenage self-proclaimed car person, I received kudos for the best color choice and he was very impressed with the car. He said it was perfectly OK to have a Pony logo on it!.

Anyone who I let drive (family) and take for a ride (friends) can’t wipe the grin off their face or refrain from colorful metaphors the first time you punch it up to 60+. I have been in a Model S once so experienced performance electric linear acceleration, but never as a driver. I still grin like a kid every time I punch it (hit the gas? Hit the go? pedal it? Still trying to figure out the natural substitute for “hit the gas” in my first EV…first world problem). My only stop light fun was on a double left getting onto the highway. A full sized SUV was on the inner left turn and thought he would easily muscle the lead car position for the merge to the highway. Not much effort needed to correct his thinking on that, even coming from a fairly slow turn on the outside of the double left.

I had already weeks ago planned to drive from N. Denver suburbs up to Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday to visit someone, so I was very stoked to be able to do a short road trip in my GT (around 230 miles as I had to make a stop in Greeley Colorado on my way up to Wyoming). Tapped “charge to 100%” in FordPass app and she was at 100% when I was ready to leave on Saturday.

Road Trip!:

The first segment: My wife wanted to drive, so she did the first 50 mile leg. Was fun to experience as a passenger and help her learn the ropes. She used the adaptive cruise a lot and liked it (our other car has it so it was familiar). She was giddy every time she punched it and would likely get in much trouble if she drove every day:cool:. We did charge for free on a Level 2 charger where I was dropping her off so got a few free miles for 30 minutes.

The second segment: My turn to drive! I drove up HWY 85 up to Cheyenne WY. Very nice 2-4 lane road with lots of speed limit changes. Used the smart adaptive cruise once I got speed-limit recognition working and set a tolerance I liked. The road goes through some small towns so speed changes a lot from 65 down to 35 as you roll through. The car seamlessly adjusted for the changes. I wished it would start the deceleration about 5 seconds before you pass the speed limit sign so you were closer to the new speed limit as you pass sign. Cops do like to catch you right as the limit changes in these small towns.

I could gush for hours, but overall the car handles extremely well. Love the feel, handling, and comfort. It is not luxury ride but that is not what I expected. No regrets waiting for the GT trim/capabilities (and zero regrets for not splurging for PE). The wheels are better in person and am all in on liking them now (had several complements on the wheels though wheels are very personal preference I know). This is a very well-built vehicle and I see myself being happy for years to come. Dabbled between unbridled and engaged on the trip. Engaged seems best for casual driving/commuting. I can see as I hone my feel for the acceleration as I will get highly dependent on the instant acceleration as I drive (not always speeding but to get to desired speed quickly) much like a motorcycle if you can relate to that.

The third segment: This segment was extra fun for a lot of reasons, so let me break down some of my experience driving down I-25 from Cheyenne back to Denver.

BlueCruise Experience
I-25 is a BlueCruise highway, so it kicked in (mostly) on my way home. It is a bit unsettling and awkward to not have your hands on the wheel. Since you are watching the road anyway (and the car IS watching you watch the road), unless you are doing something like fiddling with the touch screen, it just feels natural to keep your hands on the wheel.

But I do have more concerns on the BlueCruise than I would have wished I had. When it worked, it worked as advertised, but here is where I will be critical:

• BlueCruise (BC) just shuts off from time to time without telling you why. It really needs to say why it is disengaging on the center cluster (your not watching road, hard curve, sensor problem, obscured camera, etc.). It would just keep randomly dropping back to hands-on smart adaptive for no apparent reason which was annoying.
  • Has an uncomfortable a bias to the right side of the lane. More often than not it seems to let the car stay more to the right edge of the lane, not centered. This really bugged me in the left and center lanes, less so in the right lane. I don’t notice this on normal adaptive, but I may be manually offsetting. Will continue to monitor and make sure it is not an alignment drift issue the car is fighting (don’t think so as I don’t feel drift when on full manual steering).
  • I hit the end of a rainstorm when almost to Denver, so the road conditions changed suddenly. It kept BC on as the rain started (I put hands on anyway ready to take action) and once it could not read lines on wet pavement it disengaged as one would hope.
  • Did not do well when the left lane went from 2 lanes to 3 lanes: When my left lane broke into left and center lanes as it transitioned to a three-lane highway, the car jerked hard to the new middle lane once it decided which lane to pick up and I reflex-grabbed the wheel to make sure it was not getting crazy.
  • Last item was one of those rare real-world situations. In 2-lane 45 MPH traffic on a 65 MPH section, the car was doing really well in BC in slowdown/speed up traffic (I was in left lane and BC made it easy just to chill until things opened up again). Uh-Oh: I saw coming up behind me a guy on a Harley going down the middle between the two lanes. I grabbed the wheel but let the car stay in BC to see what it would do. The car did not seem to sense the close fly-by on the right at all other than the blind-spot detector going on. The car was (per 2nd bullet) a little to the right of my lane and I expected the car to sense/see that something was coming up close on right rear and nudge the car more to the left side of my lane to help avoid any collision when hands free mode is on.
Verdict for now: Will dabble in BC when in good conditions and hope for improvements with updates.

Charging Experience
Did my first Level 3 charge on a quick stop into Target on Electrify America (EA). Tried Plug & Charge first and it failed. Tried on two different stations. I had only done the Blue Oval network sign up on Friday I think, so assuming it takes time to bridge/load to Electrify America servers after the first setup. Will try again next road trip. I use the EA app though and it charged nicely for 15 minutes while I was in the store for 31% add.

One-Pedal (1P) Driving
I am trying it out 1P. Despite getting more curmudgeonly as I age, I am still open to new things/ways until I can judge for myself. Dabbled a little on this trip. I think I will like it for in town normal commute type driving. But I don't like it on the highway, as when you disengage the cruise it quickly starts decelerating and it is hard to get the pedal just right for the smooth transition. But I admit, as I start to get used to it, it feels more natural than I would have thought.

Epilogue:

Sorry for long post, but making up for not writing much for the last year or so (just a few replies here an there) as I am no EV expert, engineer or owned other performance cars. I hope this was interesting. Sorry no tests or draggy outputs (first 0-60 no rollout was around 4 seconds when I had the sales guy time it on the pre-close drive).

One last cautionary tale for new buyers: Follow the check lists you can find on this site as much as you can despite your excitement to close and get driving. I missed some paint bubbling on the back right fender that the shop caught when doing the ceramic coating. They also found some easy to miss paint damage from the travel-protection adhesive sheets being on the paint WAY too long as the car sat waiting for chips in Mexico (they could not get it off despite various effort…the adhesive damaged the paint). I expect to get a rear bumper replacement for the paint bubbling and adhesive damage, but it has to cleared through service Monday as a warranty item. So check that paint carefully, especially if the car was sitting for a long time after manufacturing waiting for chips. And yes, before someone posts about the picture, some new employee messed up and put on the front plate holder when I confirmed 10 different times they would not (their policy is not to do that on Mustangs overall). GM of the dealership agreed to replace the bumper.
Completely agree about tge right bias issue. I’ve had some uncomfortable experiences passing with semi’s to my right.

Ford, if you’re listening, please give us the option to change this or move it more to the center on our behalf please.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Great write up! So excited for my “Early Access” to BlueCruise begin just as soon as Ford is ready to start pushing real OTA updates. 2023 can’t get here soon enough!

OP
OP
Mach_Enrique

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Completely agree about tge right bias issue. I’ve had some uncomfortable experiences passing with semi’s to my right.

Ford, if you’re listening, please give us the option to change this or move it more to the center on our behalf please.
I have been playing with BC more and confirm now it very consistently pushes almost to the right lane line as soon as you let go of the wheel. It eventually re-centers but will repeat the drift again and again. I now keep my hands on the wheel to prevent this unless I am in the right lane (Which seems to be much less often due to this new feeling of ABP* I can’t shake since i got this car).

(*Always Be Passing)

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @Mach_Enrique ! Would you please let us know how sensitive the eye nanny is? Might want to test this with a passenger to keep a watchful eye, but if you were looking down toward the steering wheel (let’s a say a phone is being held there) will the sensor catch you? How about the infotainment screen?

I’m so glad our GT buyers are able to test this feature on cars that some us bought 6 months ago! I wish @Ford Motor Company had a program, that gave access, early, to us early adopters to try stuff like this out. Ford could even have a catchy name for this program….

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Good review - thanks! Regarding Blue Cruise, did you notice any 'ping ponging' going on with the car bouncing around the lane between the left and right edges? This has been a bit of an issue with Copilot360, and I hope that Blue Cruise is a bit smoother than that. When BC randomly disengaged, did that happen on straight sections of highway or on curves? I know that CP360 often gives up on curves (hands it back to the driver), and I know that Sandy Munro complained about BC reverting back to 'hands on' unexpectedly when on a highway curve (not even a very sharp curve).
I have never had that issue with Copilot360 in intelligent mode, it drives solid in the center and I use it every day on i95 and i287 .. so I truly don’t know how much better blue cruise will be other than being hands-free .. I just hope it slows down for Sharp or hard corners and it would be right their with my M3 autopilot experience.. even better as it would be hands free

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I have been playing with BC more and confirm now it very consistently pushes almost to the right lane line as soon as you let go of the wheel. It eventually re-centers but will repeat the drift again and again. I now keep my hands on the wheel to prevent this unless I am in the right lane (Which seems to be much less often due to this new feeling of ABP* I can’t shake since i got this car).

(*Always Be Passing)
It should keep you in the portion of the lane you had it in when auto lane centering engaged - at least according to the manual. While I have felt it does drift some, I haven't felt that it "always pushes to the right". If it is, it may need recalibration:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My First Mach-E GT & BlueCruise Road Trip Impressions 1631968786441

OP
OP
Mach_Enrique

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Thanks @Mach_Enrique ! Would you please let us know how sensitive the eye nanny is? Might want to test this with a passenger to keep a watchful eye, but if you were looking down toward the steering wheel (let’s a say a phone is being held there) will the sensor catch you? How about the infotainment screen?
This weekend I took a second mini road trip. This time from Denver up to Keystone via I70 and back (played some golf up there...lovely day...Aspens are starting to turn too). My friend helped me safely verify eye nanny times on long straight stretch looking at the touch screen and we timed 5-6 seconds before you got a "keep eyes on road alert" from the car from eye nanny. I also have to report that due to the eye nanny camera placement, you cannot drive with your hand in the 12 o'clock position on the wheel without upsetting said eye nanny.

A few fun things to share while I am at the keyboard (likely other Mach-E owners have experienced some but will share anyway) about my mountain road trip this weekend:

More on BlueCruise (BC): Still having SUPER bad time with "right side bias". Multiple times we tested while in BC, letting go of the wheel (after having been in BC for a while but with hands on wheel) and it virtually "darts" to the right side of the lane. Several times it darted so hard it crossed the lane line, gave a lane departure warning, and exited BC. Once I manually put it back in the lane, BC resumed. As one other poster noted similar right-side bias, it may not just be my car. Next time I have to stop by the dealership, I will ask the service department to check calibration. In the meantime I just can't trust BC and keep my hands on the wheel and treat it like normal adaptive "blue bubble" cruise.

For the record, I tested with no-lane centering help at all and the car does not drift or pull. I tested on normal Intelligent Adaptive Cruise and it did not pull to the right either. Only seems to occur in BC. Still a fan of what BC can do overall and like where Ford is going with it.

If anyone at Ford who influences BC reads this: Please keep adding functionality that senses there is a car to the right or left of you and have the car shift slightly to the opposite side of the lane away from the nearby vehicle. I observe generally people will drift, within their lane, slightly away from nearby vehicles in adjacent lanes (more with bigger trucks and things). This seems like the safe thing to do and would be great if BC followed this human behavior (safely within the lane of course).

Mountain Driving: Shazam! This car handles well on curvy mountain roads! With the crutch of lane centering (feels kind of like cheating) it smoothly handles curves at fairly good speeds even on I-70 (it does not at all feel like a cross-over SUV vehicle!). Also I cannot believe the climbing and acceleration power of this car. While coming back to Denver up "Floyd Hill" (a very steep climb where it goes to 3 lanes for ~3 miles just before final decent into Denver. Most cars/trucks keep in the right two lanes for this climb) we were able to accelerate up hill (with two passengers) and pass with the ease. I have experienced driving that road in many different cars, trucks and SUV's. Most ice cars will struggle to climb let alone accelerate up the steep grade. Seamless massive acceleration was at hand at all times (even in upper end say 60 up to 75!). It really did not even feel like you were on a steep up hill grade.

Breaking: This one is scary. For the first time had to max-brake to stop the car on the highway (maybe from around 30 mph on I25 in Denver down to zero) where the car in front me hit their brakes without warning/slowing, coming to a full stop (big enough suv in front I could not see brake lights of other in front for warning as it was slightly down hill). The BC was on (my hands were on wheel) and started to braking a smidge before I joined in right on top. This car, without skidding, stopped amazingly well. I thought we were going to tap into the car in front of us. We did not and all is well. Scary close rapid-traffic stoppages happen once in a while no matter how careful you are and the MachE excelled both in braking plus in starting the braking a smidge faster than the human.

One last note on mountain decent: I did not experience any of the mountain decent heat issues I read about on this forum with over heating and the car wanting you to pull over. I let the car do the down hill management with BC or adaptive cruise control all the way down from the Eisenhower tunnel (saw a lot of regen going on too).

And most importantly, this was my friend's first time in an EV. He laughed and grinned every time we punched it for any reason. He commented he was super impressed with the Mach-E performance, handling and tech many times on our trip. He was thinking his next car will be an EV for more "green" reasons (emissions and fuel costs) and now it will be for sure as the performance/fun of the Mach-E closed the deal. I did my gratis sales work for the week. :cool:

Last edited:

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My car always favors the right side, it’s annoying. Especially here in CA where we have to contend with legally splitting motorcycles daily. I was hoping since the freeway is mapped that car positioning would improve. It sounds like they are using it for absolutely nothing other than to identify their Blue Cruise section freeways. Pretty disappointed.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This weekend I took a second mini road trip. This time from Denver up to Keystone via I70 and back (played some golf up there...lovely day...Aspens are starting to turn too). My friend helped me safely verify eye nanny times on long straight stretch looking at the touch screen and we timed 5-6 seconds before you got a "keep eyes on road alert" from the car from eye nanny. I also have to report that due to the eye nanny camera placement, you cannot drive with your hand in the 12 o'clock position on the wheel without upsetting said eye nanny.
Great information, thank you. So it sounds like the eye nanny is indeed sensitive enough to track more than just whether your eyes are open, but where they actually pointed.

That is disappointing to hear that the lane centering seems worse in BC than in regular ACC. BUT, this is a strong indicator that Ford is using the mapping data as more than a geofence - it just isn’t doing it very well. If the BlueCruise was nothing more than a geofenced area where you switch from hand nanny to eye nanny, but keep using the ACC suite of lane centering functionality, then it should behave the same. Evidently it doesn’t.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi all! As I finally received my MachE, I can actually contribute my experience rather than just live vicariously through you all!!

Ford Mustang Mach-E My First Mach-E GT & BlueCruise Road Trip Impressions smooth

Prologue:

Last Wednesday I received an email from Ford my Rapid Red GT was on it’s way to the dealer, by noon I had a text from my sales person at Interstate Ford here in Colorado (fantastic dealer experience…myself/family buy all our Fords from there) that my car arrived late Tuesday and I can come by Wednesday evening for pickup! Easy/fast closing with no problems with xplan pricing, Ford Options (with rebate), etc. The only hiccup was the pre-loaded profile I sent to the car never worked (sales person said it popped up when they were moving the car to the charger earlier in the day, but it never came back…guess I should have pushed it just before I turned the car on…if anyone knows how to reset and force a profile pre-load to work…let me know…I searched and found nothing). Drove it home Wednesday night and on Thursday morning promptly drove it to The Man Cave in Westminster CO for some front PPF, Ceramic and L/R front window tint (met another MachE owner dropping car off at the same time!). Friday afternoon I was driving an amazingly shiny and well protected GT around.

Took family for a ride and even let my teenager take it for a spin (highly supervised so he made very good choices ?). As he is a teenage self-proclaimed car person, I received kudos for the best color choice and he was very impressed with the car. He said it was perfectly OK to have a Pony logo on it!.

Anyone who I let drive (family) and take for a ride (friends) can’t wipe the grin off their face or refrain from colorful metaphors the first time you punch it up to 60+. I have been in a Model S once so experienced performance electric linear acceleration, but never as a driver. I still grin like a kid every time I punch it (hit the gas? Hit the go? pedal it? Still trying to figure out the natural substitute for “hit the gas” in my first EV…first world problem). My only stop light fun was on a double left getting onto the highway. A full sized SUV was on the inner left turn and thought he would easily muscle the lead car position for the merge to the highway. Not much effort needed to correct his thinking on that, even coming from a fairly slow turn on the outside of the double left.

I had already weeks ago planned to drive from N. Denver suburbs up to Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday to visit someone, so I was very stoked to be able to do a short road trip in my GT (around 230 miles as I had to make a stop in Greeley Colorado on my way up to Wyoming). Tapped “charge to 100%” in FordPass app and she was at 100% when I was ready to leave on Saturday.

Road Trip!:

The first segment: My wife wanted to drive, so she did the first 50 mile leg. Was fun to experience as a passenger and help her learn the ropes. She used the adaptive cruise a lot and liked it (our other car has it so it was familiar). She was giddy every time she punched it and would likely get in much trouble if she drove every day:cool:. We did charge for free on a Level 2 charger where I was dropping her off so got a few free miles for 30 minutes.

The second segment: My turn to drive! I drove up HWY 85 up to Cheyenne WY. Very nice 2-4 lane road with lots of speed limit changes. Used the smart adaptive cruise once I got speed-limit recognition working and set a tolerance I liked. The road goes through some small towns so speed changes a lot from 65 down to 35 as you roll through. The car seamlessly adjusted for the changes. I wished it would start the deceleration about 5 seconds before you pass the speed limit sign so you were closer to the new speed limit as you pass sign. Cops do like to catch you right as the limit changes in these small towns.

I could gush for hours, but overall the car handles extremely well. Love the feel, handling, and comfort. It is not luxury ride but that is not what I expected. No regrets waiting for the GT trim/capabilities (and zero regrets for not splurging for PE). The wheels are better in person and am all in on liking them now (had several complements on the wheels though wheels are very personal preference I know). This is a very well-built vehicle and I see myself being happy for years to come. Dabbled between unbridled and engaged on the trip. Engaged seems best for casual driving/commuting. I can see as I hone my feel for the acceleration as I will get highly dependent on the instant acceleration as I drive (not always speeding but to get to desired speed quickly) much like a motorcycle if you can relate to that.

The third segment: This segment was extra fun for a lot of reasons, so let me break down some of my experience driving down I-25 from Cheyenne back to Denver.

BlueCruise Experience
I-25 is a BlueCruise highway, so it kicked in (mostly) on my way home. It is a bit unsettling and awkward to not have your hands on the wheel. Since you are watching the road anyway (and the car IS watching you watch the road), unless you are doing something like fiddling with the touch screen, it just feels natural to keep your hands on the wheel.

But I do have more concerns on the BlueCruise than I would have wished I had. When it worked, it worked as advertised, but here is where I will be critical:

• BlueCruise (BC) just shuts off from time to time without telling you why. It really needs to say why it is disengaging on the center cluster (your not watching road, hard curve, sensor problem, obscured camera, etc.). It would just keep randomly dropping back to hands-on smart adaptive for no apparent reason which was annoying.
  • Has an uncomfortable a bias to the right side of the lane. More often than not it seems to let the car stay more to the right edge of the lane, not centered. This really bugged me in the left and center lanes, less so in the right lane. I don’t notice this on normal adaptive, but I may be manually offsetting. Will continue to monitor and make sure it is not an alignment drift issue the car is fighting (don’t think so as I don’t feel drift when on full manual steering).
  • I hit the end of a rainstorm when almost to Denver, so the road conditions changed suddenly. It kept BC on as the rain started (I put hands on anyway ready to take action) and once it could not read lines on wet pavement it disengaged as one would hope.
  • Did not do well when the left lane went from 2 lanes to 3 lanes: When my left lane broke into left and center lanes as it transitioned to a three-lane highway, the car jerked hard to the new middle lane once it decided which lane to pick up and I reflex-grabbed the wheel to make sure it was not getting crazy.
  • Last item was one of those rare real-world situations. In 2-lane 45 MPH traffic on a 65 MPH section, the car was doing really well in BC in slowdown/speed up traffic (I was in left lane and BC made it easy just to chill until things opened up again). Uh-Oh: I saw coming up behind me a guy on a Harley going down the middle between the two lanes. I grabbed the wheel but let the car stay in BC to see what it would do. The car did not seem to sense the close fly-by on the right at all other than the blind-spot detector going on. The car was (per 2nd bullet) a little to the right of my lane and I expected the car to sense/see that something was coming up close on right rear and nudge the car more to the left side of my lane to help avoid any collision when hands free mode is on.
Verdict for now: Will dabble in BC when in good conditions and hope for improvements with updates.

Charging Experience
Did my first Level 3 charge on a quick stop into Target on Electrify America (EA). Tried Plug & Charge first and it failed. Tried on two different stations. I had only done the Blue Oval network sign up on Friday I think, so assuming it takes time to bridge/load to Electrify America servers after the first setup. Will try again next road trip. I use the EA app though and it charged nicely for 15 minutes while I was in the store for 31% add.

One-Pedal (1P) Driving
I am trying it out 1P. Despite getting more curmudgeonly as I age, I am still open to new things/ways until I can judge for myself. Dabbled a little on this trip. I think I will like it for in town normal commute type driving. But I don't like it on the highway, as when you disengage the cruise it quickly starts decelerating and it is hard to get the pedal just right for the smooth transition. But I admit, as I start to get used to it, it feels more natural than I would have thought.

Epilogue:

Sorry for long post, but making up for not writing much for the last year or so (just a few replies here an there) as I am no EV expert, engineer or owned other performance cars. I hope this was interesting. Sorry no tests or draggy outputs (first 0-60 no rollout was around 4 seconds when I had the sales guy time it on the pre-close drive).

One last cautionary tale for new buyers: Follow the check lists you can find on this site as much as you can despite your excitement to close and get driving. I missed some paint bubbling on the back right fender that the shop caught when doing the ceramic coating. They also found some easy to miss paint damage from the travel-protection adhesive sheets being on the paint WAY too long as the car sat waiting for chips in Mexico (they could not get it off despite various effort…the adhesive damaged the paint). I expect to get a rear bumper replacement for the paint bubbling and adhesive damage, but it has to cleared through service Monday as a warranty item. So check that paint carefully, especially if the car was sitting for a long time after manufacturing waiting for chips. And yes, before someone posts about the picture, some new employee messed up and put on the front plate holder when I confirmed 10 different times they would not (their policy is not to do that on Mustangs overall). GM of the dealership agreed to replace the bumper.
Hey there, Chris! We appreciate your review of your new Mach-E. If you'd like to, go ahead and send us a message with your VIN and mileage-- I'd like to assist with this paint issue you're experiencing. Thanks!

OP
OP
Mach_Enrique

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Last edited:

Mark II

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
My car always favors the right side, it’s annoying. Especially here in CA where we have to contend with legally splitting motorcycles daily. I was hoping since the freeway is mapped that car positioning would improve. It sounds like they are using it for absolutely nothing other than to identify their Blue Cruise section freeways. Pretty disappointed.

I was able to try out BlueCruise for the first time today. It did just fine in stop and go traffic, seems to favor the right side of lane, but not a big deal when I was going slow.

Then traffic opened up to 70-75 mph and the ride side bias became much more apparent and unverving. At one point the car got so close to the other car in the right lane that I had to jerk it back because I thought we were going to hit. I turned BlueCruise off at this point.

Headed home and decided to give the system another try. Freeway was open now so this was all at speed. The system would ping pong between the lanes, making it seem like I didn't know how to drive. Then came a left hand turn and once again the car hung on the right side and got way too close to the other cars on my right. It made the turn, but it was frankly pretty scary, and I was keeping my hands an inch from the wheel at all times thinking I would have to jump in at at moment. After the turn the system ping ponged between the lanes again and I had enough and decided it was too stressful to drive like this so I drove the rest of the way home the old fashion way.

For those that will ask, yes, BC was definitely enabled, it has the little blue wheel that says hands free. I have used ACC systems with lane keep from many brands, Jaguar, Tesla, Honda, Land Rover, Lincoln, and never have I felt this uncomfortable using the system. Especially one that is supposed to be as advanced as BC.

Makes me think that maybe this is why they have not deployed it to all of the cars yet, because it isn't ready for prime time? Has anyone else been as unnerved by BC as me? I will likely try it again on other freeways and when there is less traffic around to see if it behaves differently, but at the moment I have to pay such close attention to what the car is doing that it is much easier to just drive it myself.

Last edited:

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My exact experience with the normal CoPilot 360 system.

You can hold the car in a lane position for 10 seconds and it's "supposed" to reset to that location in the lane. Not sure if that is a well known feature. A lot of the time the car will go far right again, then bounce back to the left where I had set the new location and will stay in that position for the most part. If you disengage the system though, you have to reset the lane position again.

Everyone is raving over BC because its mapped freeways, but so far I've not seen any posts that make it remotely sound like the car is actually using that mapped data for the driving assist. Seems like Ford has just said it "mapped" the freeway to just indicate where the plain Jane CoPilot 360 would not have issues hands free and called it Blue Cruise...

Blue Cruise was one of the main reason I bought the MME. Should had just followed the basic consumer rule. "Buy something for what it can do now, not for what it "might" do in the feature"....
Sponsored