First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
Thank you @SAVAGE and @TheVirtualTim!!!

I know some people were looking for confirmation that a bottom knockout is available for bottom feeding the supply conduit.
Here is what the cover looks like before install. Looks like I will have the option to run conduit, PVC or a whip in from either side.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1612362375748
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1612362393261

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1612362401070

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
How much is your electrician charging? I had a guy come out today and quoted $1600. And that was just for the electrical run to the location. Not including the charger. The run is 12 foot from my electrical panel. $1600 is a whole lot of money for 13 feet of wire, and some conduit and a breaker.
As an EE who has done plenty of home installations, including my own 15 kW Level 2 Juicebox EVSE for less than $300, this job is not worth the quote you got. Get a different quote and try to do some of the work yourself and save money. Just be sure the quote covers the certification.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I plan to move the holster ... that's temporary. But here it is on the wall.

It is noticeably larger than my ChargePoint Home Flex ... and sticks out more too. I can take some measurements (tomorrow) and post the numbers if that would be helpful.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1612362401070
Yes, please!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Ford EVSE is probably based off another Webasto EVSE model that has more configuration option. Otherwise, there is no need to have so many DIP switches for the options that they have,
Yes, we had heard a while back this was built by Webasto. Now we have confirmation.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1612290266837

While I hope the amperage is also software configurable, I'm a fan of the DIP switches. If you only have a 30A circuit as our house does, I would feel much better with a hardware selection to limit the EVSE to 24A, 32A CB. Software settings can easily get changed by power failures, spikes, etc., potentially resulting a a tripped breaker or worse if it tries to draw 48A.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1612367739309

What is this disconnected harness used for?
That's the "control pilot" (CP) wire.

The J1772 plug has 5 pins. Three are rather substantial (the two 240v legs plus ground ... or in the case of 120v then they are the 120v hot and neutral). But there are two more pins that are smaller.

One pin is the "proximity" or "presence" pin. That pin basically connects to the ground pin inside the charging plug. This is how the car knows it is plugged in ... even if the charger is off. Cars wont let you take them out of park if they are plugged in. The proximity pin is a safety device to keep you from trying to drive away when the car is still plugged in.

The other is the "control pilot" (CP) pin. It is used to tell the car if it is ready to charge AND how much amperage the car may safely draw. It does this by controlling the resistance between the CP and ground. You can think of it as the communication wire ... but instead of data (like a serial connection) it simply varies the voltage and the car understands when it is allowed to start pulling amperage and what the limits are.

rafpug

First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 -| Mach E, EX, RWD, Star White
Country flag
Funny story…..our home was built in 2015 just when Tesla’s were becoming popular, (yes..we are in Nor Cal). I have a plug right under the solar panel controller that is for a charger. When I went to the breaker box - look what I found…..

I will cross it out and put Ford in it’s place as soon as I get the car.
Neat! I myself got a Tesla Wall connector installed and my electrician also labeled the breaker "Tesla". Next owners will be in for a nice surprise.

I also work for a home builder and you wouldn't believe how many people are requesting "EV chargers" in their garages. My boss keep wondering what it is exactly, and it's just a 240v plug, nothing fancy.

I honestly think it will be a huge selling point for home buyers soon. "EV charging ready" will soon be a realtor catch phrase to help sell the house.

nfoxtrot

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.foskettefotography.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Satellite Engineer
Country flag
That's the "control pilot" (CP) wire.

The J1772 plug has 5 pins. Three are rather substantial (the two 240v legs plus ground ... or in the case of 120v then they are the 120v hot and neutral). But there are two more pins that are smaller.

One pin is the "proximity" or "presence" pin. That pin basically connects to the ground pin inside the charging plug. This is how the car knows it is plugged in ... even if the charger is off. Cars wont let you take them out of park if they are plugged in. The proximity pin is a safety device to keep you from trying to drive away when the car is still plugged in.

The other is the "control pilot" (CP) pin. It is used to tell the car if it is ready to charge AND how much amperage the car may safely draw. It does this by controlling the resistance between the CP and ground. You can think of it as the communication wire ... but instead of data (like a serial connection) it simply varies the voltage and the car understands when it is allowed to start pulling amperage and what the limits are.
Thanks for the response! So it uses a variable resistor of some sort? I build PCB's for rockets so this stuff really interests me lol

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks for the response! So it uses a variable resistor of some sort? I build PCB's for rockets so this stuff really interests me lol
I wrote "varies the voltage" and should have written "varies the resistance".

I was just reading the specs... the resistance indicates things like whether it has detected the car, if it's ready to charge, etc.

But apparently it uses a PWM modulation to indicate the charging rate (not resistance). If I understand correctly this is merely the maximum amperage that the car can draw ... the car may draw less.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Neat! I myself got a Tesla Wall connector installed and my electrician also labeled the breaker "Tesla". Next owners will be in for a nice surprise.

I also work for a home builder and you wouldn't believe how many people are requesting "EV chargers" in their garages. My boss keep wondering what it is exactly, and it's just a 240v plug, nothing fancy.

I honestly think it will be a huge selling point for home buyers soon. "EV charging ready" will soon be a realtor catch phrase to help sell the house.
For us it was part of the "solar option" when the home was built.

MarknKC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the deal with a special wall charger? I've been using an old-fashioned JuiceBox Level 2 for my Focus EV for 5 years. No wi-fi, no bluetooth, just a dumb charger. I program my Focus to "Value Charge" after midnight when the rates are lower. Does the Mach E not have that kind of capability?
Sponsored