Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
There is an area in the charger designated as a 'knock out' to cut around and allow for the connection to come in.
I drilled mine out with a holesaw. It looked too stout to knock it out without damaging something.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I drilled mine out with a holesaw. It looked too stout to knock it out without damaging something.
This is basically what I did (although I fed the power in through the back) ... but the "punch outs" looked like they had too much material to just punch out ... so I used a 1" spade bit.

Electricians have hole punches that will punch into the service panels so they can run conduits, etc. ... and those things punch right through the metal. One of those punches would easily pop through the plastic case material.

My guess is they expect the electricians will punch the holes using their tools. In my case, I generally hang the hardware and my electrician connects the wiring -- which means I put my own hole in the box.

Part of my install was some carpentry work. My garage is not finished ... the studs are all visible. So I needed to make a panel between studs to mount it. I did that work and mounted the wood panel, installed the bracket, determined where the wiring hole needed to be and put the holes through the EVSE box and through the wood.

From there... the install is pretty easy so the electrician's time is minimal.

(I should mention that my electrician had already pre-run the wire ... we were just waiting for the charger).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[QUOTE="TheVirtualTim, post: 105191, member: 1606"

Electricians have hole punches that will punch into the service panels so they can run conduits, etc. ... and those things punch right through the metal. One of those punches would easily pop through the plastic case material.

[/QUOTE]

Hah! I have a set of knockout punches, but I never thought to use them on plastic. I'm sure it would have worked fine and made less of a mess than my holesaw.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Received ours today. Wife said "That's nice, reminds me of that episode of The Office.". Huh.

She meant this.

On another note, the knockouts on the outer case will cut out easily with a set of dikes and worrying the rear joint.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! IMG_20210211_213514

The bottom of the inner closure has threaded opening that will accept a gland or bulkhead fitting. Pretty nice.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This is basically what I did (although I fed the power in through the back) ... but the "punch outs" looked like they had too much material to just punch out ... so I used a 1" spade bit.

My guess is they expect the electricians will punch the holes using their tools. In my case, I generally hang the hardware and my electrician connects the wiring -- which means I put my own hole in the box.

Part of my install was some carpentry work. My garage is not finished ... the studs are all visible. So I needed to make a panel between studs to mount it. I did that work and mounted the wood panel, installed the bracket, determined where the wiring hole needed to be and put the holes through the EVSE box and through the wood.

From there... the install is pretty easy so the electrician's time is minimal.

(I should mention that my electrician had already pre-run the wire ... we were just waiting for the charger).
This sounds pretty similar to my garage - unfinished, exposed studs. The difference is that I'm not the type you want doing carpentry. There would likely be severed appendages, blood everywhere, and loss of structural integrity in my garage :D I'm hoping that my electrician can figure out the necessary panel needed to mount the Ford Connected Charge Station. Verizon did something similar for the ONT and power supply for the FiOS connection.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Has anyone just mounted their charger to the face of an exposed stud instead of putting on a panel? The mounting bracket has top and bottom center holes for post mounting, and that seems like the simplest/laziest mounting solution for unfinished garages with exposed studs.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Has anyone just mounted their charger to the face of an exposed stud instead of putting on a panel? The mounting bracket has top and bottom center holes for post mounting, and that seems like the simplest/laziest mounting solution for unfinished garages with exposed studs.
Should work fine. Just drill pilot holes and get some decent lag bolts and washers, maybe drill out the holes in the plate if they are too small for lag bolts. The screws the unit came with are pretty poor IMO, good lag bolts or tapcons would be preferable.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I had exposed studs, I would simply cut a couple of 2x4s to fit in between the studs horizontally and screw them in place positioned to catch the 4 holes intended for panel mounting.

And I wouldn't use Tapcons in wood - they're made for masonry.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
If I had exposed studs, I would simply cut a couple of 2x4s to fit in between the studs horizontally and screw them in place positioned to catch the 4 holes intended for panel mounting.

And I wouldn't use Tapcons in wood - they're made for masonry.
Yup, the supplied screws came with plastic anchors for masonry, tapcons
would be better. Lags for wood.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Another Ford Charger Installation:

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 1 Column Mount

Mounted on column in center of garage - no cable across floor. Electrical box installed as p[art of solar install.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 2 Holster

Holster installed on opposite of column from box. Car plug-in is only 3 feet to right of holster.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Connected Charge Station arrived! 3 Solar Subpanel

Charger sub-panel installed next to solar panel controller, inverter, & battery. Back up 220v 14-50 outlet installed on that side of garage for parking flexibility. Self-install - took about and hour.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag

Mounted on column in center of garage - no cable across floor. Electrical box installed as p[art of solar install.

Holster installed on opposite of column from box. Car plug-in is only 3 feet to right of holster.

Charger sub-panel installed next to solar panel controller, inverter, & battery. Back up 220v 14-50 outlet installed on that side of garage for parking flexibility. Self-install - took about and hour.
With the 2017 GT and everything, getting some dream garage vibes over here, phew! You put in a hose reel instead of wrapping it around the holster thing?

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With the 2017 GT and everything, getting some dream garage vibes over here, phew! You put in a hose reel instead of wrapping it around the holster thing?
Yes. Put a spare hose reel under the housing to make it look a bit neater on the visible side of the column. There is just enough slack for the hose to reach the car’s charging port.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Fantastic! I wish my garage looked that uncluttered!