Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My garage was a mess until I put the solar in last summer. Filled up a dumpster with all the junk I hadn’t touched in years.
Sponsored

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Yes. Put a spare hose reel under the housing to make it look a bit neater on the visible side of the column. There is just enough slack for the hose to reach the car’s charging port.
Cool idea, would you recommend the charger? Trying to decide if it’s worth it, my garage definitely isn’t as nice as yours!

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cool idea, would you recommend the charger? Trying to decide if it’s worth it, my garage definitely isn’t as nice as yours!
Since I don't have a car to plug in to, I can't test it yet. (Car is somewhere around Seattle, I think.) It is a very nice looking unit, though and it integrates nicely into Fordpass.

I like that it has both an internal dip switch amp limiter to let users safely install to whatever 240v source they have and it has an additional amp limiter within Fordpass software that lets you tailor the units current draw to your particular needs. In my case, I set the Fordpass amp limit so that the unit never draws more than the maximum output of my solar array. That makes sure that I will never pay the local utility to charge the car (weather permitting). If I need a fast full charge, I can quickly adjust the software amp limiter to the maximum that is set by the DIP switches. The Fordpass software adjust ability also addresses one of the Mach E's current shortcomings of not being able to set a maximum charge voltage thru Sync 4!

As to whether it is worth it? To me it is, primarily due to that ability to adjust charge rate. I installed a Grizzl-E at work and that is another nice, "dumb" charger at a more reasonable price. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion but I do like the combined "Ford" car-charger package. It just seems right.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Hey did you guys do anything to get the Ford Charger Delivered. I am getting my car on tuesday and ordered that charger last OCtober, when it became available, but I have not heard anything. Fordparts syas to check with the dealer and the dealer says it should ship directly from fordparts. Noone knows when.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey did you guys do anything to get the Ford Charger Delivered. I am getting my car on tuesday and ordered that charger last OCtober, when it became available, but I have not heard anything. Fordparts syas to check with the dealer and the dealer says it should ship directly from fordparts. Noone knows when.
I also ordered early. It arrived at my Alaska dealer on Wednesday. No special requests or express shipping involved. I believe lower 48 orders may ship directly to the customer. I bet yours will be there any day.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
According to FedEx tracking, mine shipped from the dealer, not Ford parts. Also, the charge on AmEx was the name of the dealer. Go figure?

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
2 Fridays ago I called my local dealer because I wanted to cancel my order and get a Grizzl-E instead. Parts guy said he had no idea since I had ordered online he could not cancel it.

3 days later I get a FedEx notice it is on the way, sure enough sent from that same dealership. ?. Funny part is it is not the dealer I ordered my car thru as I really have not heard good things about them...

I guess I will be installing my Ford charger soon.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Since I don't have a car to plug in to, I can't test it yet. (Car is somewhere around Seattle, I think.) It is a very nice looking unit, though and it integrates nicely into Fordpass.

I like that it has both an internal dip switch amp limiter to let users safely install to whatever 240v source they have and it has an additional amp limiter within Fordpass software that lets you tailor the units current draw to your particular needs. In my case, I set the Fordpass amp limit so that the unit never draws more than the maximum output of my solar array. That makes sure that I will never pay the local utility to charge the car (weather permitting). If I need a fast full charge, I can quickly adjust the software amp limiter to the maximum that is set by the DIP switches. The Fordpass software adjust ability also addresses one of the Mach E's current shortcomings of not being able to set a maximum charge voltage thru Sync 4!

As to whether it is worth it? To me it is, primarily due to that ability to adjust charge rate. I installed a Grizzl-E at work and that is another nice, "dumb" charger at a more reasonable price. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion but I do like the combined "Ford" car-charger package. It just seems right.
The adjustable charge rate is really helpful, though I can’t understand why that wouldn’t be a part of the car like on Tesla.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Update, I picked up the car on monday (the car is amazing by the way). ANd complained to the dealer that I ordered the connected charger when it was available last october. 20 minutes later they magically found one in their parts department and said it had come in that morning. I asked them if that was addressed to me they said they did not know but they would cancel my other order ecasue with my luck they will ship the other one from Fordparts next week :)

IMG_5217.jpg

randyja

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did anyone else not get the stress relief clamp shown in the installation manual figure 9? I’ve looked in the box 3 times.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Did anyone else not get the stress relief clamp shown in the installation manual figure 9? I’ve looked in the box 3 times.
This was in one of the small parts bags on mine. It's two small pieces of plastic and two extremely small screws (don't show them to Munro).

Mrbeige3

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Fire Mach E Mustang Premium AWD ER
Country flag
How much is your electrician charging? I had a guy come out today and quoted $1600. And that was just for the electrical run to the location. Not including the charger. The run is 12 foot from my electrical panel. $1600 is a whole lot of money for 13 feet of wire, and some conduit and a breaker.
I paid $495 in Los Angeles, so $1,600 is ridiculous.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I paid $495 in Los Angeles, so $1,600 is ridiculous.
I found an electrician on NextDoor that lived up the road from me that did it all for $450. He even ran it to a small wall in the middle of the garage instead of just being on the wall with the breaker.
Sponsored