My Ford Dealer sold me $5000 premium maintenance plan, is it Worth it?

F15Farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE Mach-E
Country flag
I had no idea how many people actually buy extended warranties on new cars. Ive purchased my share of new cars and never let the finance guy get through the pitch. I just assumed most people did the same.
Sponsored

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Now I know why the warranty department has been trying to get me on the phone so bad. There’s obviously a lot of money to be had selling these warranties. Not me. Never have, never will.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I bought it too! The finance person said because it was so new, no one really knows what can go wrong - it's also for 100,000k miles. I bought mine in March - probably too late to reverse. Argh!
I went for it, too, but because of how the standard manufacturer warranty is structured with regard to the degradation of the HV battery. With the extended warranty (by Ford), that stipulation doesn't apply. Otherwise, I would have said no.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I went for it, too, but because of how the standard manufacturer warranty is structured with regard to the degradation of the HV battery. With the extended warranty (by Ford), that stipulation doesn't apply. Otherwise, I would have said no.
How so? The extended warranty specifically excludes the HV battery.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
How so? The extended warranty specifically excludes the HV battery.
but the battery comes with an 8 year warranty already. The extended period is usually 8 years (that includes the 3 years warranty at time of purchase)

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Not the extended warranty I purchased. Not all extended warranties are built the same.
the battery comes with an 8 year warranty when you buy the car. That's the only way you'd get anyone to buy an ev. I mean would you buy a car with a battery warranty of 3 years? Knowing if it fails at three years and one day, you'd shell out 22-29k for a battery?

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Now I know why the warranty department has been trying to get me on the phone so bad. There’s obviously a lot of money to be had selling these warranties. Not me. Never have, never will.
A lot of money can be had by selling any kind of insurance, but we all buy it for our cars, homes, health...
Profit for the seller is not the correct metric of usefulness here - it's whether or not you think the warranty may save you money in the long run or help protect against a catastrophic repair bill, as well as contributing to peace of mind. The calculus is different for everyone.
For a new high-tech model like the Mach-E, a case can be made that repairs might be both more common and more expensive than on some other cars. To each his own.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
but the battery comes with an 8 year warranty already. The extended period is usually 8 years (that includes the 3 years warranty at time of purchase)
It’s the mileage that’s a problem not the years. It would have been nice to be able extended it to 150k to match the rest of the covered components under the ESP.

Not the extended warranty I purchased. Not all extended warranties are built the same.
Which one did you buy? The Platinum FORD ESP plans exclude the HV battery and cables.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It’s the mileage that’s a problem not the years. It would have been nice to be able extended it to 150k to match the rest of the covered components under the ESP.

Which one did you buy? The Platinum FORD ESP plans exclude the HV battery and cables.
Shows what a fool I am... I guess I was too tired to verify what the finance manager told me. I'm going to find my flash drive with all the paperwork because everything I can find in my app corroborates what you're saying. He assured me the extended warranty would negate the below 70% state of charge requirement. I should have been more skeptical. I'm sorry for any confusion. Now I'm just mad: at myself and the finance manager.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
For anyone EVER wondering if the extended warranty is worth it at the dealer- Decline the warranty and see how much they instantly cut off of the price (and they're still making a profit then) and that should say all you need to know about it being worth it. When I bought my MME it instantly went from $3600 down to $2000 by me saying No. (Still didnt buy)

Also oddly dealerships generally try to sell some off brand extended warranty even when theres a Manufacturer direct one available usually. IF I did buy an extended warranty, it would ONLY be FordProtect direct from Ford.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Shows what a fool I am... I guess I was too tired to verify what the finance manager told me. I'm going to find my flash drive with all the paperwork because everything I can find in my app corroborates what you're saying. He assured me the extended warranty would negate the below 70% state of charge requirement. I should have been more skeptical. I'm sorry for any confusion. Now I'm just mad: at myself and the finance manager.
You can cancel a Ford warranty and then purchase again at a lower price from somewhere else.

For anyone EVER wondering if the extended warranty is worth it at the dealer- Decline the warranty and see how much they instantly cut off of the price (and they're still making a profit then) and that should say all you need to know about it being worth it. When I bought my MME it instantly went from $3600 down to $2000 by me saying No. (Still didnt buy)

Also oddly dealerships generally try to sell some off brand extended warranty even when theres a Manufacturer direct one available usually. IF I did buy an extended warranty, it would ONLY be FordProtect direct from Ford.
I posted this earlier:
There are four genuine Ford ESP online sellers that I know of:
All sell at a great discount (just above their cost) and you can get pricing instantly online. If your dealer won't match, tell them to pound sand and buy it online. This is a commodity and it's the same product no matter who you buy it from. I would definitely get the Ford warranty and not third-party.

Frank861

First Name
Frank Ruiz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Hi, when I bought my Mach E I was offered the Ford Maintenance plan and thinking that I don’t know what could go wrong to the battery or the computer that manages these… I bought it. It is less than 30 days ago so I should be able to cancel it. I was reading the manual last night and saw that the Battery is actually warranted up to 8 years. So now I’m thinking this Premium maintenance is not worth the $5000 that I bought it for. Did any of you purchase the Premium Maintenance plan too? If so How much?
5K is insane. You don't have to buy the extended warranty from the dealership you purchase the car. I just bought the Ford Protect premium care with key replacement for 6 years 100,000K $845 in flood Ford website. Is already showing on my Ford pass account that I have the extended warranty. My main concern in the electronics since this car has so much tech. Shop around there are quiet a few website that sell the Ford Protect.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Dealer sold me $5000 premium maintenance plan, is it Worth it? SmartSelect_20210827-002524_Chrome

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hi, when I bought my Mach E I was offered the Ford Maintenance plan and thinking that I don’t know what could go wrong to the battery or the computer that manages these… I bought it. It is less than 30 days ago so I should be able to cancel it. I was reading the manual last night and saw that the Battery is actually warranted up to 8 years. So now I’m thinking this Premium maintenance is not worth the $5000 that I bought it for. Did any of you purchase the Premium Maintenance plan too? If so How much?
Initially I was having issues with my GT and through the process of working with Ford directly they actually offered me a warranty at no cost for the bumper up to 75,000 miles. I think it cost like $3900.
Sponsored