Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I have the same vehicle. The GOM was generous to me also. It has gone as high as 322!
Ford Mustang Mach-E My GOM is very optimistic this morning! IMG_3450.PNG

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Lol I only charged my FE to 100% one time over the 10500 miles I drove it. It was by accident too. Second most was 95% before I took a road trip. I never saw the GOM go over about 290.

My GT GOM is super pessimistic. Like 190mi at 80%. I definitely am getting a lot better than that.

OP
OP
EasyPass

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So today I traveled 118 actual ground miles (from Google Maps), but consumed 145 range miles (56% SoC at end) with a combination of 70% highway and 30% city/suburban. The differential of 27 miles is almost the same as the "extra" range that was reported at 100% SoC this morning. I guess it all evens out in the end when the GOM tries to do its thing. ;)

Interestingly, the Trip Odo reported 4.6miles/kWH. Quite high from my limited experience.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So today I traveled 118 actual ground miles (from Google Maps), but consumed 145 range miles (56% SoC at end) with a combination of 70% highway and 30% city/suburban. The differential of 27 miles is almost the same as the "extra" range that was reported at 100% SoC this morning. I guess it all evens out in the end when the GOM tries to do its thing. ;)

Interestingly, the Trip Odo reported 4.6miles/kWH. Quite high from my limited experience.
The 'range' miles are not fixed the way 'ground' miles are. What you experienced was really just coincidence. If your miles instead had been say 95% highway and 5% city/suburban, you would have done even worse. If, on the other hand, you flipped it and had done 70% city/suburban and 30% highway, the 'extra' range would not have disappeared, based on the results you are reporting with 70% highway and 30% city/suburban from your driving.

Side note, but I would suggest not charging overnight to 100% if you don't think you will need most of your range. From your two posts, it seems you ended the day with 56% SoC today and 52% SoC yesterday. Ford recommends you charge it no higher than 90% on a regular basis if you do not need the full range available in the battery, though I personally think you should go a bit lower if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time and don't need a full charge for maximum range.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I normally only charge to 80%, but last time I charged to 100%, I got this extremely optimistic result:

Ford Mustang Mach-E My GOM is very optimistic this morning! gom407

Today sitting at 80% it is showing 279 miles. I typically see it range from 240-290 when charging to 80% and just driving around town with some highway usage.

OP
OP
EasyPass

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The 'range' miles are not fixed the way 'ground' miles are. What you experienced was really just coincidence. If your miles instead had been say 95% highway and 5% city/suburban, you would have done even worse. If, on the other hand, you flipped it and had done 70% city/suburban and 30% highway, the 'extra' range would not have disappeared, based on the results you are reporting with 70% highway and 30% city/suburban from your driving.

Side note, but I would suggest not charging overnight to 100% if you don't think you will need most of your range. From your two posts, it seems you ended the day with 56% SoC today and 52% SoC yesterday. Ford recommends you charge it no higher than 90% on a regular basis if you do not need the full range available in the battery, though I personally think you should go a bit lower if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time and don't need a full charge for maximum range.
Today was not a typical day of driving for me. So far, lacking a long destination, I seem to only need a charge once a week or so for my normal activities on my home Level 2 50amp line using the supplied Ford Mobile EVSE. Would a top-off to 100% every 7 or 8 days make any difference in maximizing the long term battery life vs. only going to 80%? Are you saying use the Charge Scheduler to limit the top-off point on every charge session rather than let it run out on its own? I know that DCFC and the vehicle's internal charge curve kind of makes 80% a practical limit point on its own.

Occasionally, about 6 times a year, I do a 200 mile excursion to a public Destination Charge Port (Chargepoint 7kW) and then a return a few days later. Could a 100% top-off there be justifiable especially considering I also will do it in the dead of winter? TIA for the comments and input.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Today was not a typical day of driving for me. So far, lacking a long destination, I seem to only need a charge once a week or so for my normal activities on my home Level 2 50amp line using the supplied Ford Mobile EVSE. Would a top-off to 100% every 7 or 8 days make any difference in maximizing the long term battery life vs. only going to 80%? Are you saying use the Charge Scheduler to limit the top-off point on every charge session rather than let it run out on its own? I know that DCFC and the vehicle's internal charge curve kind of makes 80% a practical limit point on its own.

Occasionally, about 6 times a year, I do a 200 mile excursion to a public Destination Charge Port (Chargepoint 7kW) and then a return a few days later. Could a 100% top-off there be justifiable especially considering I also will do it in the dead of winter? TIA for the comments and input.
I am not sure how much of a difference your specific use scenario would make. Frankly, it doesn’t sound like a huge amount. However, the key is how much time a vehicle spends at max charge. Over a period of years, if it spends some meaningful percentage of time at 100% charge, this will hurt its max capacity.

Yes, I would suggest using the vehicles settings to limit max charge to something less than 100%. You set it once and never have to think about it again, and can manually tell the vehicle to charge to 100% through the FordPass App on the rare occasion where you need it.

I don’t think there is any issue at all with charging to 100% six times a year when you need it. The toll starts to get taken when you are regularly doing it, like 50 times a year when most of that time, you didn’t need anywhere near a full charge.
Sponsored