pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m so worried the Model Y will end up being the one car I’ll have to get because there’s nothing in the market with a similar price and performance…

HELP ME FORD!!! Come read the forums!!!
Join the darkside.

The immense torque from a dig or at speed never gets old. I was merging with traffic at 40 mph, punched it, no issues in getting in front of the cars.

If the GT/GTPE remains like this (lack of power above 60 mph), it'll be pretty disappointing, imo.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I would gladly sacrifice some performance for an actual gauge cluster and some physical controls. Not to mention way better looks
Yes, but we were hoping we wouldn’t have to compromise one for the other.

Why can’t we have all 3 in a top performance variant.

There has only ever been two things marketed about this vehicle:

1. 0-60 in 3.5

2. A ride along video at a race course

I wonder why we got our hopes up it would be fast……?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
idon’t think they can finish more cars in enough time… and I don’t think they can stop all reviews… for once the chip shortage is actually helping us consumers.

I can’t wait for the first review that will put Ford on the spotlight and then they will have to make a statement… I don’t think they can hold off the reviews until October….
If the media drives are held in October, the reviews won’t happen until…..October. This gives Ford time to fix their busted ass shit and get some real GD trap speeds. They’ll deal with the owner review fallout because that ain’t jack shit compared to major mags or YouTube reviewer videos posting 100mph 1/4 miles to millions of subscribers. And right next to a 4X trapping 103-104 haha. Great optics. ?

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How about this. With 2 fobs, one has to be primary. If you are not using the primary fob, why can’t the top be mykey limited to 100 mph?

t12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If they can confirm that the cars are performing as intended OR not. That would save us all an awful lot of time.
Where would the fun be in that? I'm personally enjoying the rampant speculation and wild theories in this thread.

J/K. Doubt FMC will offer any clarification though. Maybe that'll change once the review embargo is lifted next month, but I'm not holding by breath.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Where would the fun be in that? I'm personally enjoying the rampant speculation and wild theories in this thread.

J/K. Doubt FMC will offer any clarification though. Maybe that'll change once the review embargo is lifted next month, but I'm not holding by breath.
Only chance of getting a Ford response is if someone takes their GT into the dealer for “losing power above 50 mph” and see what Ford says.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Colorado Diesel/2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
2 speed won’t help with the 60+ mph acceleration. If anything it would make it worse in order to give a higher top speed.

It also would make for a faster 0-60, but I also don’t think that’s an issue.

Unfortunately for me, so far it’s not any faster than my daily driver now. Faster to 60, significantly slower above 60 and barely slower in the 1/4.

60-100 in 9 seconds is……… slow. That’s that the times for the GT and GT PE are showing.

Just for comparison- Model Y performance does 60-100 in about 6 seconds.

F3D96611-6D39-4337-893C-D7F2B1FF2D02.png

This is a screenshot from the video linked here, where he also did another run of 0-60 in 3.4….. on the street.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inside...deo-tesla-model-y-performance-drag-times/amp/
I am pretty sure with perm mag motor the 2 speed will help at higher speeds. Pretty sure there is a sacrifice on a perm mag over certain RPMs...so if you have gearing for max 0-60, you end falling out of the meat of the power band due to too many RPMs over 60mph. Tesla I suspect uses one induction partly to get more in the high end as they can tune the magnetic fields dynamically at higher RPM with one of those.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just to add my 2 cents into the discussion about the MME GTPE losing acceleration at higher speeds, I averaged the GTPE 0-60 splits from pages 1 and 59, and compared them to the Model Y splits on page 60. I graphed the difference in time (0-10, 0-20, etc) versus speed. The graph shows clearly that the GTPE accelerates faster than the MY from 0-40 but then loses relative acceleration at 40 MPH (or a little earlier). It is so dramatic that it has to be software, not hardware causing this.

Time difference.png
I wouldn't count on it being software when one has all perm mag and the other has perm mag and induction. This could be a magnetic field/RPM and gearing used thing that can be changed dynamically on and induction motor getting rid of need for a couple speed gear box like Porsche uses.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
Yo
I am pretty sure with perm mag motor the 2 speed will help at higher speeds. Pretty sure there is a sacrifice on a perm mag over certain RPMs...so if you have gearing for max 0-60, you end falling out of the meat of the power band due to too many RPMs over 60mph. Tesla I suspect uses one induction partly to get more in the high end as they can tune the magnetic fields dynamically at higher RPM with one of those.
You suspect wrong. This has been put to bed…multiple times over. The GTs are not holding at max HP for as long into rpms, which in an EM motor is a function of power draw.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So now Ford needs to fix it. I’m over arguing at this point because they clearly limited it to 100ish in the 1/4 mile for, reasons….
The silence and guy that showed it probably is a stop light king vs the MYP has me thinking Ford went for that to get a comparable 0-60mph rather than 1/4 and has only Perm mag and not gear change so had to compromise somehow. So I suspect they have the gearing setup for 1/4 mile and the perm mags run out of ability to pull more juice too soon for a 1/4 pull to end up having the real meat of the power band in the right place. It could probably trap better and have way better time if it didn't come off the line so hard in how it's geared.

Basically I am preparing for this to not really be faster than a MYP other than off the line.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yo

You suspect wrong. This has been put to bed…multiple times over. The GTs are not holding at max HP for as long into rpms, which in an EM motor is a function of power draw.
This just isn't true...the magnetic field on a perm mag can't be tuned dynamically as much as an induction motor so the design usually means there is some RPM range where the constant torque ends and you can maintain power as the revs increase sorta...but loss of torque as you speed up...they effectively run out of breath...this is part of what killed the single motor Model 3...it has good power off the line, but just looses it's breath.

Now this doesn't mean Ford is giving these motor full beans at the top end I guess. But there is no reason to assume this could never be a hardware limitation in how they have the car geared and motors designed. There is 100% going to be an RPM point where there is just no way to maintain power and torque on a perm mag. With induction you have more ability to do that, but lose some efficiency and have a heavier motor...there is a big compromise going to induction...but you don't need to add weight/failure point of a gear changing gear box. So at end of day it ends up close...Tesla doesn't have ton of experience with gear changes, but wanted top end power so has at least one induction motor in their cars.

Ford seems to have went a route where they have a very exciting car, but that loses it's breath without an induction motor or gear box...but may end up close to the same efficiency and 0-60 of a MYP even with more battery weight and less uglied Aero focused design.

Last edited:

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
It does, but I also haven't tried to got 100 yet so who knows....so far. :)
Glad you're going to have the opportunity to test another one for us, but I think you'll find the same results. It drops off so much at higher speeds I questioned whether it was even a 12 second car using seat of the pants compared to past high performance rides where I had data. The only reason it makes mid-upper 12s is the phenomenal hook and go 60' and 0-60 time. There's really no art to launching this vehicle so we should expect pretty repeatable results.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Play around the system.
There should be a not so hard to find software version.

Maybe we can compare version numbers with others and create a timeline or series
Sync 4 software version 21180_product revision: 176

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This just isn't true...the magnetic field on a perm mag can't be tuned dynamically as much as an induction motor so the design usually means there is some RPM range where the constant torque ends and you can maintain power as the revs increase sorta...but loss of torque as you speed up...they effectively run out of breath...this is part of what killed the single motor Model 3...it has good power off the line, but just looses it's breath.
fyi Tesla still makes the single motor Model 3 (SR+). They removed the mid range RWD (Single Motor), and the dual motor long range RWD. This was mostly done to consolidate their product lines to make it easier to plan and manufacture, removing the lower demand configurations. It's a shame since the LR RWD 3 was efficient and offered good performance (~ 4.7 0-60).

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
It runs high 11s. My hope is the GTPE gets there as well.

I am hopeful, however Ford hasn’t said squat yet.

Step 1: admit you have a problem

Ford has to get to step 1 before I’ll be confident there is a fix.
I'm on the sidelines until the MME PE matches or exceeds Model Y in 0-60, quarter mile and on the track.
Sponsored