BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Not at all! Back in 2015, a lot of Ford Mustang fans really slammed the Ecoboost! But guys like Brad Gusler took a then 14 second car, all the way to the high nines!
I'm hoping to see NMRA open a class, so that you guys can come racing with us.
While yes there are things that can be done, I think the point there is that the ecoboost was the entry level mustang, so if this thread was about peoples select trim then sure no a problem. However this is at present the top trim one for which people are paying a $5000 premium over the GT for a performance edition, so people should not need to be making mods to get the expected performance.

Sure we need to wait on more data from more vehicles, but so far we have a consistent trap speed that it is far below what is acceptable for an awd 480hp vehicle and slower than a less powerful model Y long range and polestar 2 while is instead closer to a fwd 2.0l turbo hot hatch that manged to have a good launch.

It can be argued that there are other differences for the $5000 premium, however it is not like the regular GT doesn't have different wheels & interior over a standard mach-e. For me the reasons for the GTPE where down to the magnaride, as IMO the weight of bevs means having a fixed setup becomes a lot harder for the chassis engineers to strike an acceptable balance for all road conditions so the performance aspect was just a bonus

The minuscule difference in 0-60 of the GTPE vs GT means there is probably going to be very little difference in the 1/4 and trap speed. If ford had just offered the GT, with two different wheel options, adaptive suspension option and the sportier seats as an option, that people could pick and chose from then fine, but instead it has all been bundled under a performance edition so it needs to live up to the name especially when you have direct competition also selling a performance edition.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here is a thought... Is the ~75mph falling flat related to speed, or time at full throttle? If you are rolling down the interstate on cruise at 75, and nail it, is the performance any different (better) than if you are accelerating through that 75 barrier from a standing start? If its related to power flow or battery/heat management, it might be that the car can accelerate hard at higher speeds for a period of time.

If its the second thing, would be more acceptable. I am not going to run the 1/4 on the street, and likely would never go to track. Maybe it can just do full throttle for like 6 or so seconds before it pulls power.... Would be interesting. Meaning if from an easy roll it could go 75 to 100 fast, it would be not bad for a fast commuter car.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
While yes there are things that can be done, I think the point there is that the ecoboost was the entry level mustang, so if this thread was about peoples select trim then sure no a problem. However this is at present the top trim one for which people are paying a $5000 premium over the GT for a performance edition, so people should not need to be making mods to get the expected performance.

Sure we need to wait on more data from more vehicles, but so far we have a consistent trap speed that it is far below what is acceptable for an awd 480hp vehicle and slower than a less powerful model Y long range and polestar 2 while is instead closer to a fwd 2.0l turbo hot hatch that manged to have a good launch.

It can be argued that there are other differences for the $5000 premium, however it is not like the regular GT doesn't have different wheels & interior over a standard mach-e. For me the reasons for the GTPE where down to the magnaride, as IMO the weight of bevs means having a fixed setup becomes a lot harder for the chassis engineers to strike an acceptable balance for all road conditions so the performance aspect was just a bonus

The minuscule difference in 0-60 of the GTPE vs GT means there is probably going to be very little difference in the 1/4 and trap speed. If ford had just offered the GT, with two different wheel options, adaptive suspension option and the sportier seats as an option, that people could pick and chose from then fine, but instead it has all been bundled under a performance edition so it needs to live up to the name especially when you have direct competition also selling a performance edition.
It would be like people taking their GT500 and modding it, which they do. I think the bigger thing is that we can't just install turbos and get 200hp like an ICE can. I'll be interested to see what can be done to get noticeable differences, and then I won't be doing them lol. I can't imagine having a $70k BEV with no warranty, talk about a nightmare. Or the other option is Ford, or a Ford modding company that has a strong relationship with Ford Co., would have to offer the upgrades at a premium with a warranty.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
I am seriously considering ditching my reservation and going with a Model 3 Performance. At least its speed is a known entity. Been super stoked about my GT ever since my order, but this is concerning. I don’t want to just rely on a software update fixing this…

Some clarity from Ford would be appreciated!
For real.

For me, and I think probably for others, this was finally the EV we had been waiting for. We all knew what was possible with EM motors, but we didn’t want something built in a tent. Finally one of the big automakers made something that wasn’t a compliance EV, wasn’t goofy looking, wasn’t $100k, and had the range and performance we all wanted. A true Goldilocks car, with the convenience of charging at home, comfortable daily driving, and blistering acceleration, with the utility of a small suv but still great handling due to the low center of gravity. Premiums came out and they were great with the exception of suspension and tech quirks. These GTs were going to kick ass.

And then Ford did what Ford does. I almost feel dumb for assuming they had turned a corner. I thought the home backup power generation of the lightning would be game changing. I even went so far as to think their stock was probably vastly undervalued. They were just doing so much stuff right.

But just like with power shift, just like with the getrags, just like with the explorers and aviators, Ford does most everything remarkably well and then, as if it’s some inborn trait they just can’t resist, they inexplicably kick themselves in their own balls.

I’m 100% not taking delivery of a $65k car that feels slower at 75 mph than a Chrysler Pacifica. Full stop. Perhaps even worse than that though, is that the 4x is probably what I would have gone with if Ford had been forthcoming with the trade offs they were making. Well except that they won’t give me a steel roof. But now I’ve already waited this long, and every other automaker is releasing a competitor.

Congratulations FMC, you played yourself.

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
428i, X1, Mach-e GTPE on order
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Here is a thought... Is the ~75mph falling flat related to speed, or time at full throttle? If you are rolling down the interstate on cruise at 75, and nail it, is the performance any different (better) than if you are accelerating through that 75 barrier from a standing start? If its related to power flow or battery/heat management, it might be that the car can accelerate hard at higher speeds for a period of time.
This is a good question. I’m not going to race this car, but I’d like to know that if I need to punch it when I’m at highway speeds, it’s going to respond immediately. I ordered the GTPE for exactly the reasons the previous poster mentioned, namely the Magneride option and the tires/wheels. The difference between 3.5 and 3.8 is not a big deal for me, as much as I’ve been whining about that number on this thread.

I’d prefer a manufacturer understates performance and I’m pleasantly surprised when it exceeds expectations, rather than what we are seeing here. I’d love to be the proverbial fly on the wall over at Ford right now. They must be at least at DEFCON 2 right now. If the reviews come back with similar numbers (which seems sort of likely), it will be a PR disaster.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I’m 100% not taking delivery of a $65k car that feels slower at 75 mph than a Chrysler Pacifica. Full stop.
I am with you there. Interested to see the answer to my question above, if its a time/power flow issue rather than speed.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I’d love to be the proverbial fly on the wall over at Ford right now. They must be at least at DEFCON 2 right now. If the reviews come back with similar numbers (which seems sort of likely), it will be a PR disaster.
They HAD to know how it would perform on a dragstrip. I cannot imagine this would be news to anyone at Ford. If it is, people need new jobs.

secretvampire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Gray MME GT
Country flag

If its the second thing, would be more acceptable. I am not going to run the 1/4 on the street, and likely would never go to track. Maybe it can just do full throttle for like 6 or so seconds before it pulls power.... Would be interesting. Meaning if from an easy roll it could go 75 to 100 fast, it would be not bad for a fast commuter car.
I agree this is interesting and is the most likely scenario. And this would be very easy to test from one of the current owners. Just cruise on the highway at 70 or 75 and punch it, should be VERY easy to tell how it pulls for a few seconds.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
is the performance any different (better) than if you are accelerating through that 75 barrier from a standing start? If its related to power flow or battery/heat management, it might be that the car can accelerate hard at higher speeds for a period of time.

I don't have measurements but my seat of the pants feeling says: nope.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Colorado Diesel/2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Have a feeling there is an issue with only perm mag Motors and higher speed power here. Pretty sure performance is one reason Tesla uses induction and perm mag.

Dark Matter GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Country flag
I bet you it's something stupid like Perma unbridled extended regardless of mode setting or something like that. Just stays in " short bursts before corner breaking" mode all the time.