Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Totally understand the rationale. Regarding the performance metrics, as you’re probably aware, the X3M, AMG etc. all rely on launch control to get them into boost and make full use of the AWD traction off the line. When you’re just sitting at a light and an impromptu 0-60 run materializes you’re not running a 3.3 or 3.5 or whatever 0-60, it’s gonna be closer to 4.7-5.0. Unless you have time for the launch control pre-flight checklist ?
Lot of truth here. If you just floor the X3M or other ICE turbo off a slow roll from a stoplight (typical behavior for street driving quickly) it is nowhere near as fast as you would think, until the engine comes up to full boil.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Lot of truth here. If you just floor the X3M or other ICE turbo off a slow roll from a stoplight (typical behavior for street driving quickly) it is nowhere near as fast as you would think, until the engine comes up to full boil.
Same on the highway for a lane pass, you have to plan for that initial pause to do the double downshift and then get that all sorted out, then the engine spins up, then the turbos come on. It all happens in probably 1 second but it's long enough that you have to plan for it, and also be ready on the steering. You don't want to start turning and then floor it because you're going to get that 1 second delay and then smash power to the wheels in the middle of a lane change which is going to make you either look crazy or like a complete dbag on the road

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Same on the highway for a lane pass, you have to plan for that initial pause to do the double downshift and then get that all sorted out, then the engine spins up, then the turbos come on. It all happens in probably 1 second but it's long enough that you have to plan for it, and also be ready on the steering. You don't want to start turning and then floor it because you're going to get that 1 second delay and then smash power to the wheels in the middle of a lane change which is going to make you either look crazy or like a complete dbag on the road
This is one of the reasons why I personally prefer manual transmissions and NA or Supercharged engines for ICE vehicles. Pick the gear you want and punch it. Nearly instant power.

vakane

First Name
Rinel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Kia Optima, 2006 Toyota Corolla, 1970 Ford mustang
Occupation
banker
Country flag
This is one of the reasons why I personally prefer manual transmissions and NA or Supercharged engines for ICE vehicles. Pick the gear you want and punch it. Nearly instant power.
Modern turbos don’t lag.

if a beemer is lagging I promise it’sdone on purpose. You can chip that away.

man x3m probably gains 100 HP and more torque from a shelf tune.
Another advantage of ICE

you can work em up:)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Modern turbos don’t lag.

if a beemer is lagging I promise it’sdone on purpose. You can chip that away.

man x3m probably gains 100 HP and more torque from a shelf tune.
Another advantage of ICE

you can work em up:)
Modern turbos do lag, just not as much as they used to. Compared to NA, Supercharged, or EV it’s obvious. I’ve driven a couple of the sedan variants of the SUVs we’re discussing and neither of them have instant boost from a dig or a roll. Now, they’re phenomenal compared to say 15, 20 or, dare I say 30 yrs ago, (looking at you Saab 9000 Aero), but still not instant.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Totally understand the rationale. Regarding the performance metrics, as you’re probably aware, the X3M, AMG etc. all rely on launch control to get them into boost and make full use of the AWD traction off the line. When you’re just sitting at a light and an impromptu 0-60 run materializes you’re not running a 3.3 or 3.5 or whatever 0-60, it’s gonna be closer to 4.7-5.0. Unless you have time for the launch control pre-flight checklist ?

That’s where the GTPE has the big advantage. Instant 600+ lb ft and 480Hp. 3.5s or 3.7s or whatever it ends up at with no real process needed. Fun and boring all at once.
You're not wrong here, I'll start there. But launch control is pretty easy to get going. My M40i has it as well and all you have to do is have it in sport mode, slap the shifter in sport, hit the traction button and smash the brake pedal and go pedal. Then let go of brake.

The smaller turbo on my M40i also has significantly less lag than the X3M though...so it's not nearly as big of a hit if I don't use launch control.

I also only had to pay 41k for mine buying off a 2 year lease that really ended up being more like a year and a half and 28k miles. Runs 12.9ish @ 104ish. Little slower than the GT but not terribly so.

vakane

First Name
Rinel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
banker
Country flag
Turbia aren’t big enough to be laggy.

twinscroll and other things make sure they don’t have to. Now the tune makes them laggy for sure…. Done on purpose for longevity and so it doesn’t catch drivers by surprise… also they kick in later than they should for MPG purposes. But I’m telling you… chip that sucker and it will not Kay a bit.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
You're not wrong here, I'll start there. But launch control is pretty easy to get going. My M40i has it as well and all you have to do is have it in sport mode, slap the shifter in sport, hit the traction button and smash the brake pedal and go pedal. Then let go of brake.
I fell asleep reading those instructions ???. Kidding of course. I just hit the throttle.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I fell asleep reading those instructions ???. Kidding of course. I just hit the throttle.
I'm pretty good at doing it quickly in the C8. Track mode, double tap traction control to engage performance traction management modes, set PTM to desired (typically dry but can go sport, never go race on the street), stand on brake, stand on throttle, release brake... but yeah it is a lotttt simpler in the MachE. Fortunately in the C8 you can put it in PTM ahead of time so you don't have to do anything other than stand on brake and throttle at the light.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I'm pretty good at doing it quickly in the C8. Track mode, double tap traction control to engage performance traction management modes, set PTM to desired (typically dry but can go sport, never go race on the street), stand on brake, stand on throttle, release brake... but yeah it is a lotttt simpler in the MachE. Fortunately in the C8 you can put it in PTM ahead of time so you don't have to do anything other than stand on brake and throttle at the light.
Yes, but you’re not going to do that at a stoplight, or stop sign, or anywhere regular on the street.

vakane

First Name
Rinel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
banker
Country flag
They have a black GT (not pe) at a dealer near me in miami fl
I confirmed it’s a cancel but they didn’t give me a price over the phone (it’s got a markup) just in case anyone is looking.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, but you’re not going to do that at a stoplight, or stop sign, or anywhere regular on the street.
Wanna bet? I have more times than I care to count.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I know it’s not that hard to do, having used it multiple times in both manual and 10L80/90 Camaro ZL-1s myself. What I’m saying is there are times when you either don’t want to engage it and/or don’t have the time. That’s all.
Sponsored