First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Exactly.

Look at the “previous vehicles” of the regular Mach E owners: lots of Prius drivers.

Look at the current vehicles of the people ordering GTPE: Mustang GT, GT350, GT500, Chevy SS, etc

The target audience is drastically different.

It also explains why the people currently driving performance cars are screaming WTF!!! While the former Prius owners are scratching their heads not understanding why people are complaining.
Hey now, don't forget us 2013 Fusion Hybrid people ordering our GT's. Lol.

Well I guess you have to consider the crazy 92 supercharged LX I used to have which also puts me into the GT crowd.
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Right, but Mach-e sales are already pretty low (as a fraction of Ford's business). If the GT is only ~30% of Mach-e sales, is it worth fixing (for Ford)?
That is on the order of half a percent of their annual sales.

The major impact I could see is a PR and advertising one impacting future EV sales (Lightning), but that already has very strong demand and low planned build rates, so I am not sure how big of an impact it would be.

Edit: Corrected numbers to 30% as noted above
At the moment there is little competition in the BEV performance space at this price point, if legislation changes and Tesla gets a the tax credit back, it becomes hard for Ford to justify having lesser performance for the price and things are going to be even worse next year with the EV6 GT, which if it matches the paper specs it going to leave mach-e GTPE lagging far behind in 3rd place.

So while Initial sales will not be impacted too much not living up to expectations could easily have a long term impact as people sitting on the fence and waiting until next year to get a BEV and had the GTPE down as potential option next may just end up crossing it off from the list.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Look at the “previous vehicles” of the regular Mach E owners: lots of Prius drivers.

It also explains why the people currently driving performance cars are screaming WTF!!! While the former Prius owners are scratching their heads not understanding why people are complaining.
"0-60 in 5.6s is more than enough power for me!"

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Hey now, don't forget us 2013 Fusion Hybrid people ordering our GT's. Lol.
<snip>
Or us 2014 Fusion Energi people ordering GT-PEs.

Honestly I don’t care about the absolute top end of this car. I do care that the MME GT-PE has good low to moderate speed performance. I’m pretty sure Ford is looking at ways to fix the trap speed issue. At least I am hoping so. ?‍♂

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I don't want to mention the modified VW GTI that I was driving that was well into the low 4 second 0-60 pulls and now I'm upgrading (at least I thought I was) to a GTPE, because I don't want to restart the 2.0T debate.

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
Not to keep pouring gas on speculation, but agreed that their lack of promised data (aside from 0-60 #'s) does give them a path w/o a fix. Though i'm a broken record that they do flaunt 480/638 power numbers, which they are limiting ?

Since there is no specific 1/4 mile mph claim anywhere in any Ford info. I’ve seen there isn’t going to be any recourse if Ford doesn’t fix the trap speed/top end throttling issue.
And begrudgingly, im yet another SS owner :p whos Been running dragys this week in the same spot to these new (to me) data points.... Less relevant since ice and ~500+lbs lighter, but it is one of the better comparable petro cars, and this will fire up P&C to post more cold idle videos :D

SS | ~390RWHP/400RWTQ | UHP A/S Tires | 11.9's on DRs | ~116+ trap on Street tires
Wk Avg 30-50: 1.52
Wk Avg 50-70: 2.09
Wk Avg 0-60: 4.65 (4.25 1ft)

My GTPE arrives tonight so hope to run more data on the same stretch of road soon

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Colorado Diesel/2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't remember if this has been posted or not, but at the risk of restoking this much gone over argument, I think personally the biggest question Ford needs to address is the advertising in the Model Description that I look at every day while I wait for any update that my car has been built.

1631624204176.png

It clearly says upgraded front motor with enhanced performance, but the data we've seen shows that it barely has any enhancements over the other models, if any. So either it's false advertising or a problem with the platform.
Technically that could mean almost anything. May just be some upgrade to the cooling regime that allows it to be fed more juice or something and otherwise be mostly the same motor, but with different capacity for cooling. But if the motors are just some general design/winding that is focused more on low rev punch...it may not be something where there is a way to get more at the top end...cooling or no.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Colorado Diesel/2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it is worth it and of paramount importance. EV is the way forward and Ford knows that bad optics on anything EV/MME related could sour consumers on Ford EVs, regardless of the reason. Because you know Mustang coupes are going EV before we know it as well.

MME Project Manager, Dave Pericak’s edict to the team was that it has to be a Mustang. A GT doesn’t shit the bed in the 1/4 compared to an Ecoboost, or previously, a V-6. By that rationale it has to be fixed. And I’m sure they’re doing it as we complain non-stop.
The problem when comparing to normal mustang is that it's 1-1.5s faster in 1/4...it's looking like we get that same range in raw time....just all gained early in run and never gets much more speed than the other by the time it's done.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Not to keep pouring gas on speculation, but agreed that their lack of promised data (aside from 0-60 #'s) does give them a path w/o a fix. Though i'm a broken record that they do flaunt 480/638 power numbers, which they are limiting ?

And begrudgingly, im yet another SS owner :p whos Been running dragys this week in the same spot to these new (to me) data points.... Less relevant since ice and ~500+lbs lighter, but it is one of the better comparable petro cars, and this will fire up P&C to post more cold idle videos :D

SS | ~390RWHP/400RWTQ | UHP A/S Tires | 11.9's on DRs | ~116+ trap on Street tires
Wk Avg 30-50: 1.52
Wk Avg 50-70: 2.09
Wk Avg 0-60: 4.65 (4.25 1ft)

My GTPE arrives tonight so hope to run more data on the same stretch of road soon
We run almost exactly the same it would seem. Great, get that PE and get more confirmation of what we already know. ? maybe put up some 3.5s! And, no cold idle vid today but I’ll put up a cool morning 0-60 run on summer tires and TC left on:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My GT Performance Edition (GTPE) first track launch with videos, timeslip! 0-60 in 4.12s, 1/4 mile in 12.657 @ 100.02 mph 8DE34E01-22E5-4343-92DD-6A8B8BA3FC2F