ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
¡Viva México, hermanos! I learned a lot about power electronics from a good man from Puebla, so here are some more thoughts on power and voltage.

I think that the graphs you show are probably pretty close in scale and shape to the motors in the MachE. The absolute values are certainly off some, but you are looking at a graph for the same design of motor from the same manufacturer in a similar iDM, so the "shape" is probably representative.

From this, we can tell that power is roughly proportional to voltage (over the constant torque range), and that power at 12kRPM is about 65% of the peak power. Pushing out a bit further to 13.8k RPM you're probably looking at about 55% of peak power.

This makes the voltage point well - I took some measurements on my Premium AWD ER (more detail here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/driving-dynamics-and-charging-data-files.8473/page-2) and it looks like the resting battery voltage is about 387V at 100% SOC, and about 360V at 72% SOC. I also measured an internal resistance of 35.5 mOhms, which you can use to calculate voltage drop at different powers.

So by charging to 100% you'd have about 8% more power to work with, compared to 72%, or about 36hp peak. That isn't enough to explain the trap speed, but it would certainly help. Voltage drop under sustained high power will bleed more off too. At full power the car should be pulling close to 1000A, which would see a voltage drop of about 35 volts, or almost 10%.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more runs with voltage and current data recorded, it should give us a better idea of when things are limiting and why.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for imparting your perspective for the group.
Sponsored

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
It is also odd that it will soon be 2 weeks since first delivery and only 1 has shown some data on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile? Ok, I think there was one other that gave a 0-60 or so but for a group of owners that obviously is buying the GTPE for performance, just seems weird there isn't more data and videos coming out let alone professional reviews.

@0t60-3.5 thanks for posting, we do appreciate it. Regardless of the bickering about the data, I am sure you are loving that car. I have a Premium that I will be trading for the GTPE in a few months and I am loving it.
I think part of this is that almost no one actually has a Dragy or data logging equipment to really show accurate times.

Dark Matter GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Country flag
There are two other ways to explain that though without something being off.

1) The GT was regeared to provide more low end acceleration (better 0-60) at the cost of top end speed. It wouldn't take much of a change.

2) the front motor on the AWD trims has a higher limit and lower torque fall off so that it can pull a little harder on the top end.
Car wow pitted the Model 3 dual motor vs a Model 3 performance and although the performance was walking it up to the 1/4 the dual motor caught it and passed it at some point consistently. This reeks of the same thing but obviously worse.

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
428i, X1, Mach-e GTPE on order
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Apologies guys, but I’m a little confused. I thought the OP stated that the car was in transport mode, and that when they deactivated it, it was much faster, pulling hard well past street-legal speeds. Was it in transport mode during his track runs? If so, there’s been a lot of hand-wringing and postulating for nothing.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Apologies guys, but I’m a little confused. I thought the OP stated that the car was in transport mode, and that when they deactivated it, it was much faster, pulling hard well past street-legal speeds. Was it in transport mode during his track runs? If so, there’s been a lot of hand-wringing and postulating for nothing.
No it was not in transport mode during these runs. You are confusing two different posters.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Car wow pitted the Model 3 dual motor vs a Model 3 performance and although the performance was walking it up to the 1/4 the dual motor caught it and passed it at some point consistently. This reeks of the same thing but obviously worse.
FYI this was fixed in an update late winter 2021. The heat pump 2021 Model 3 was scavenging heat from the battery pack, lowering power output. They used an older Model 3 with the PTC heaters. Another race would show different results.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If it won't trap somewhere close to 110mpg, I am not taking delivery of the one I have on order. 100mph, as others have said, is ridiculously low. Something is wrong, its in some sort of "transport mode," or it just sucks. Those are the three choices. There are a lot of choices of nice cars when you are at $70k price points, and something that traps 4mph higher than a Honda Odyssey minivan doesn't thrill me. Trap speed says a LOT about how a car feels on the highway.

Also, the fact that a "regular" MME traps around 103, which is about what you would expect given the power and how it feels when driving it..... 100 is just bizarrely low.

Hopefully we will all know for sure soon.

And yes, for what its worth, I have extensive experience driving down the 1/4 and on road courses.

Last edited:

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
If this car has been set up specifically to hit 60 as fast as possible, at the expense of trap speed, then why is it having trouble even hitting the claimed 0-60 for the “regular” GT?

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
No it was not in transport mode during these runs. You are confusing two different posters.
Yeah, I just caught that - one’s red, one’s blue. Still, if this car is biased for 0-60, it isn’t even hitting Ford’s claim. There is either something weird going on in settings, or Ford has a massive problem going forward. A long range Y will do about as well to 60 and keep pulling.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks! I thought drag racing tracks were only for serious competitions. Didn't know you could just walk in off the street and do it.
Back in the day, they called the “open days” “Grudge Nights.” Run what you brung, if it passes tech. I have only run at NHRA sanctioned tracks, so part of the tech was to make sure sub-14 second cars had roll bars and sub-13 second cars had cages, in addition to making sure you had a puke can, no leaks, and nothing obviously broken.

Those were fun nights. Haven’t run on a drag strip since Baylands closed down in the ‘80s.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Seriously, all they need to do is come out with a little correction story that says "we did 1/4 mile testing and were well above 100mph on each run."

But no. Instead it's complete silence and no professional reviews.
With more GTPE now ending up in owners hands there will be more data to go on so it probably wont take that long to see what the actual performance is and if this is just a one off.

As as manufacture it is usually better to low ball your times and give a worst case something the German manufactures have been doing for a while (see the numerous carwow 0-60 times), once you start adding *1ft roll out small print to your times as ford have you really are trying to make things look better than they are IMO.

The GT is supposed to have a 0-60 of 3.7 so with 1ft roll out, we are are talking around 4 sec, the GTPE has the a boost of low down torque vs the GT which should account for the better 0-60 maybe there is an issue there, it won't be the first time a manufacture has made a mess with engine maps and had to correct it later, something which at least should be easier to fix in these days of OTA

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>.
2) the front motor on the AWD trims has a higher limit and lower torque fall off so that it can pull a little harder on the top end.
The problem with this postulation is the GT has a 9-point-something to 1 gear and the other AWDs have a 10-point-something to 1 gear in the front motor. It would be spinning more RPM at the same speed so there would be more power drop-off for the AWD front motor.

The problem has got to be in software or possibly in the front motor inverter (can’t handle sustained power past peak? Not likely).

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Not the best, but keep in mind only had ~70% battery charge, NOT in Unbridled Extend track mode, tire pressure may be high at 42psi, etc.
This is really cool - thanks for doing this and for sharing the numbers!

But...and sorry if this is answered elsewhere in the thread...I don't get why you didn't use track mode ("Unbridled Extend"). It would be interesting to know the reason. You are literally in the exact scenario track mode was designed for! If I had a GT and was testing it at a track for its best times, I would 100% do it in track mode.

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
¡Viva México, hermanos! I learned a lot about power electronics from a good man from Puebla, so here are some more thoughts on power and voltage.

I think that the graphs you show are probably pretty close in scale and shape to the motors in the MachE. The absolute values are certainly off some, but you are looking at a graph for the same design of motor from the same manufacturer in a similar iDM, so the "shape" is probably representative.

1630466907826.png

From this, we can tell that power is roughly proportional to voltage (over the constant torque range), and that power at 12kRPM is about 65% of the peak power. Pushing out a bit further to 13.8k RPM you're probably looking at about 55% of peak power.

This makes the voltage point well - I took some measurements on my Premium AWD ER (more detail here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/driving-dynamics-and-charging-data-files.8473/page-2) and it looks like the resting battery voltage is about 387V at 100% SOC, and about 360V at 72% SOC. I also measured an internal resistance of 35.5 mOhms, which you can use to calculate voltage drop at different powers.

So by charging to 100% you'd have about 8% more power to work with, compared to 72%, or about 36hp peak. That isn't enough to explain the trap speed, but it would certainly help. Voltage drop under sustained high power will bleed more off too. At full power the car should be pulling close to 1000A, which would see a voltage drop of about 35 volts, or almost 10%.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more runs with voltage and current data recorded, it should give us a better idea of when things are limiting and why.
I actually have one of the early REMY HVH250 motors, but have never had an inverter tune to run it. Some PM motors do have this much fall-off in power at higher speeds, but most do not. There is usually some fall off in power as top motor speed is approached, but a constant power approximation above base speed is usually pretty good. Look up CPSR (constant power speed ratio). This data does show how important battery supply voltage is for motor base speed and transition from constant torque to constant power.
I recall seeing an early chassis dyno test video of an MME (not GT) and the rear wheel power suggested constant power out to pretty high speed. (I can't seem to locate that source now...)