cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
I understand. However, I believe the PE additions are aimed at making the GTPE more able on road courses, not necessarily flying mile runs. So, yeah, 124 isn’t a big number these days for sure. But, most owners that attend track days/HPDEs will enjoy the ability to lap without battery/power loss issues that have plagued Teslas on track up until recently.
If that's the case, 124 is enough for most technical ~2 mile courses as that's about the top end you'll see in the straightaways, even with an 8 cylinder ICE Mustang. Like I mentioned in another post, if you're at BIR, RA, VIR or Utah Motorsports on the full course, you're going to feel like you're in a Miata well before the end of the long straights. I still don't expect a lot of 4500+ lb SUVs competing on the road course. We would occasionally see the CTS-Vs out there which were in the low 4000s, but even that was a stretch. You just wear out and break too much equipment trying to slow down and throw heavy vehicles through the turns on a regular basis. It's tough enough with a 3600-3800 lb ICE Mustang.
Sponsored

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Nautilus, 21’ Rapid Red GTPE as of 2/14/22
Country flag
The car doesn't stay at 100 mph for a few seconds. It's still constantly accelerating up to 100, it's just doing so very very slowly.

In the 2.2 seconds between 1000' and 1/4 it accelerates from 95 to 100 mph.

Looking at an ~average MYP run (12.2 seconds) it accelerates from 104 to 113 mph in the 2.0 seconds between 1000' and 1/4. That's a huge difference.
Are any Ford people on this blog? Wondering if there is a way to get a response from Ford on the GTPE trap time of ? MPH. Unfortunately some people on this blog have said they are canceling their order because of this 1st Gen GTPE performance.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Are any Ford people on this blog? Wondering if there is a way to get a response from Ford on the GTPE trap time of ? MPH. Unfortunately some people on this blog have said they are canceling their order because of this 1st Gen GTPE performance.
Anyone that cancels their order due to the first 5-6 1/4 mile runs is a moron. There, I said it. There are many variables in play that need to be addressed first.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I think my wife's minivan would accelerate from 95 to 100 in 2.2 seconds. Something nutty is happening because the acceleration just falls off completely. From Frankie's post above it seems like a definite change occurs, as the curve isn't smooth. It changes rates abruptly.

As others have said, 87mph in the 8th is pretty fast. Only gaining 13mph on the top half is like a 200 hp car though, not 460 or whatever.
Exactly. This thing pulls like 480 horses up to 75 or so and then like 200 horses past that.

As I've said before, I both think and hope that Ford will fix this but there is very obviously something wrong with OPs car.

The question now is really is it just OPs car or is it all of them and regardless, whats the problem and how do you fix it/is it fixable. The thing I'm most worried about is that Ford deems this acceptable performance for 60-75ish SoC which it is very much not.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
The OP’s GTPE equals a Y Perf. Through the 1/8th mile, 7.90@87mph, then the antics begin. SOC, drive mode, low miles “break in” limiting? Who TF cares at this point. Someone else go run theirs or wait for the mags to release the info, finally.

Plus, overlaying a Y Dragy run without knowing it’s SOC during the run can be misleading. Ys fall off as SOC drops, although 70% should still be netting healthy numbers, not 100mph traps.

The guy I know in my neighborhood with a Model 3P told me he won’t run people with relatively equal performance when he’s below 60% SOC. I thought that was interesting and chicken shit at the same time. ??‍♂
Some real straw grasping here. If this car traps 100 due to 72% SoC it's a dud and you know it. If this car traps 100 due to "just" being in unbridled, it's a dud. If Ford cuts 200 horses off this thing past 75 mph for "break in" maybe they should have mentioned it at some point, and I'd say it makes a lot less sense to do this on an EV when they don't do it on an ICE. Why even mention these weak arguments.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Colorado Diesel/2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Some real straw grasping here. If this car traps 100 due to 72% SoC it's a dud and you know it. If this car traps 100 due to "just" being in unbridled, it's a dud. If Ford cuts 200 horses off this thing past 75 mph for "break in" maybe they should have mentioned it at some point, and I'd say it makes a lot less sense to do this on an EV when they don't do it on an ICE. Why even mention these weak arguments.
I think the most confusing part about the 100mph trap is that a standard Mach-E AWD is almost a second slower, but getting to a similar trap. Think Motor Trend actually got a 103.5mph trap with a normal AWD and others are all right at 99-101. So something funny is happening with either the 72% charge or something vs the standard Mach-E as I suspect it should have a good bit higher trap speed with the extra power.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
The guy I know in my neighborhood with a Model 3P told me he won’t run people with relatively equal performance when he’s below 60% SOC. I thought that was interesting and chicken shit at the same time. ??‍♂
It may be chicken poop, but it’s not unlike the guys with nitrous that won’t run with less than half a bottle at room temperature.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Anyone that cancels their order due to the first 5-6 1/4 mile runs is a moron. There, I said it. There are many variables in play that need to be addressed first.
I agree, I wouldn't cancel my order unless I knew for sure that this was the actual expected performance. My car won't be here until November-ish, so we should all know by then.

Last night my wife made the point "who needs to go much faster than about 90 anyway?" Which logically makes sense, BUT I want to make that decision for myself, not have the car do it.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I understand. However, I believe the PE additions are aimed at making the GTPE more able on road courses, not necessarily flying mile runs. So, yeah, 124 isn’t a big number these days for sure. But, most owners that attend track days/HPDEs will enjoy the ability to lap without battery/power loss issues that have plagued Teslas on track up until recently.
Have no real issues with the lower top speed after all most BEV are limited to around 112mph, its more the having such a low top speed and using performance naming, at least if ford had sense they would add a electronically limited to 124 mph in the marketing blurb even if it is a lie as it will at least look better when people do the inevitable paper specs comparisons vs the coemption.

While the 124 mph top speed is not a deal breaker for me as my final decision as to if I purchase will be based on how it drives, it is however laughable that this will be the slowest top speed of any 'performance ford ' I will have owned over the years and that includes ones with considerable less power.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Bro. Cancel. Your. Order.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I think the most confusing part about the 100mph trap is that a standard Mach-E AWD is almost a second slower, but getting to a similar trap. Think Motor Trend actually got a 103.5mph trap with a normal AWD and others are all right at 99-101. So something funny is happening with either the 72% charge or something vs the standard Mach-E as I suspect it should have a good bit higher trap speed with the extra power.
This is why I’m not worried at all. Well, plus we ordered a 4X for my wife, not a GT. Ford won’t allow the GT to trap 3-4 less mph than a 4X, it just won’t. Whatever needs to happen will happen and the explanation will come out.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
This is why I’m not worried at all. Well, plus we ordered a 4X for my wife, not a GT. Ford won’t allow the GT to trap 3-4 less mph than a 4X, it just won’t. Whatever needs to happen will happen and the explanation will come out.
Yeah, they will fix it. Probably silently, if current and recent history are an indication.
Sponsored