jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
great write up!

cool detail re: usb and usb-c plugs in front and back. and i hope they add more bolstering for the production seats -- if the mustang is supposed to be a sports car and they dialed in the handling to reflect that, i hope they don't just put in seats from an escape. otherwise the premium interior sounds great.

and i hope that little door handle is relatively easy to remove. cleaner look without
Sponsored

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Yes I understand and know that when actually driving the range will vary. However, when still and a 94% charge rate and showing 383mls makes you wonder what the actual range for the AWD version really is. All I am going by is the 94% charge and showing it can do supposedly go 383mls. So if this really is reading miles which I doubt the AWD First Edition at least will be at 405 miles. Or they just tweeked their show cars to have extra range on them for all the show and pony stuff for marketing.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"mls" is a little puzzling. I don't think I've even seen that as an abbreviation for miles. Not sure what else it would be in that context though.

I wonder if it's possible that's displaying a trip calculation rather than the overall average? Maybe there's a trip mode where it just uses the actual running miles/kWh figure for the current trip (which could be really distorted for a short trip)? Just a guess. 383 miles at 94% seems too good to be true.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I am going to go back to the site to reference this question but I will ask here, hoping one of you remembers.
This German video and European variant of the Mach-E is showing the clear tail lights and I seem to remember once they began making the 2-door Mustang for Europe, didn't they too have clear tail lights to meet Euro Standards?

I'm going back to Ford.com to see if the US Models are read as usual, or if the clear ones are for all the Mach-Es.

Thanks!

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Looks like all the press photos as well as the Reservation Builder shows the clear tail lights. Cool.
I guess I should have looked there first before asking.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
It's a preproduction model. The software and all you can see in is an very early version. Don't take any informations you see on the displays as anything for the final model. Especially the range of the car will be heavily influenced by the software. Tesla is pretty known at this point for increasing the range per software updates through better optimizing how the car operates.
Also the estimated range will be different for US and EU markets, since they have to calculate with other formulas. The First Edition has in USA EPA-Estimated 270 miles (434km), but in EU WLTP-estimated 335 miles (540km)

You wouldn't believe how unstable this car was. Often the door-popup-opener kept staying out, so there was no chance to close the doors until pressing a lot of buttons for opening the door, unlocking the car, etc until the opener retracted again. Take a close look at the footage of the parking cameras, the OS crashed resulting in the whole upper part of the screen to be black and dead.

@Dmcerm: The shown car was US spec. US also gets the clear taillights. We don't know what visual changes the EU model will have, my guess is that EU models will get different colored sidemarkers without light and a rear fog light will be added into the reverse light spot (just like in the regular mustang)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You wouldn't believe how unstable this car was. Often the door-popup-opener kept staying out, so there was no chance to close the doors until pressing a lot of buttons for opening the door, unlocking the car, etc until the opener retracted again. Take a close look at the footage of the parking cameras, the OS crashed resulting in the whole upper part of the screen to be black and dead.
Well that's certainly disconcerting. I know it's just an early preproduction model and there's going to be bugs to be worked out. But if there's a lot of apparent ones already, there's probably a lot more unapparent ones. I'm not concerned about the software - that's easily updated. But physical design things like door latches and releases aren't so quickly perfected. Last thing we want is to spend $55k on a vehicle with nagging issues.

Oh well, just gotta trust that they get everything perfected, and won't rush to sell a bunch before they do. That's always the concern with a brand new 1st year model.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
@PSYOP Wing Man I'm very much a Ford Fanboy but it seems to me a lot of these nagging or pesky issues will get ironed out before production.
I mean, latches, and door handles and things and even software, even if it'll be a new SYNC4 or whatever they're going to call it, I'm sure they have the internal people working on these items now to perfect them for production.
Let's put it this way. Many of the first Tesla Model 3s produced from July 2017 to July 2018 and beyond WERE practically preproduction cars that they worked on and improved as time went on. Granted it was more software updates than hardware but still, I see Ford being 1st Car ready with production (latches, switches, interior bits, fit 'n' finish etc) and build quality while being maybe not as solid with the software stuff. But we will see. Honestly, with them leveraging the Mustang name, I have to be supremely hopeful that the mechanicals, electronics and software will be Tesla-Challenging, and I am hoping for just that!
They didn't spend almost two years studying Model 3s for nothing.
I think they'll be fine.
However, I'll be taking the often repeated advice from many people who buy and have bought cars over the years, "don't buy the first model year of production"... so we will see.
I have confident in ole FoMoCo!

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
@PSYOP Wing Man I'm very much a Ford Fanboy but it seems to me a lot of these nagging or pesky issues will get ironed out before production.
I mean, latches, and door handles and things and even software, even if it'll be a new SYNC4 or whatever they're going to call it, I'm sure they have the internal people working on these items now to perfect them for production.
Let's put it this way. Many of the first Tesla Model 3s produced from July 2017 to July 2018 and beyond WERE practically preproduction cars that they worked on and improved as time went on. Granted it was more software updates than hardware but still, I see Ford being 1st Car ready with production (latches, switches, interior bits, fit 'n' finish etc) and build quality while being maybe not as solid with the software stuff. But we will see. Honestly, with them leveraging the Mustang name, I have to be supremely hopeful that the mechanicals, electronics and software will be Tesla-Challenging, and I am hoping for just that!
They didn't spend almost two years studying Model 3s for nothing.
I think they'll be fine.
However, I'll be taking the often repeated advice from many people who buy and have bought cars over the years, "don't buy the first model year of production"... so we will see.
I have confident in ole FoMoCo!
I agree Fords launch quality will be way ahead of Tesla. Lincoln has been using an e-latch for years. It’ll all be figured out.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Depends on the car. On the Focus Electric (FFE) the GOM seemed to be heavily weighted to your last few hours of driving--it never really resets.

It was very common on the FFE to have very different ranges reported in the morning on a full battery. Since my commute was usually different from my weekend driving Monday's reported range was different from Saturday's reported range--especially in the winter.

The Bolt's GOM seems to be much better, or less "wild" than the FFE's. One cool thing about the Bolt's GOM is that it reports 3 values: a best case range, an average given how you've driven, and a worst case range. Here is the Bolt's dash, at left is the GOM/battery indicator:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My hands-on impressions of the Mach-E BoltDash

The green shaded area is the battery level (which is pretty easy to read given the ticks--just like a fuel gauge). The GOM values are the top (Max 291) middle (247 mi) and bottom (Min 202) giving the best case, average, and worst case ranges.

I would imagine that Ford will use some of its experience with the FFE to make the Mach-E's GOM more accurate...

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Adding a little on to the above: The FFE's dash was the same as most highly optioned Ford's with a central analog dial speedometer flanked on either side with LCD panels. The LCD panels had many different screens you could scroll through with controls on the steering wheel. The right panel would show things like what station the radio was set to, distance to your next waypoint, phone data, etc.

The left, panel, however was pretty configurable and could show many things. I would alternate between the following two screens, both of which show where your electrons were going to:

Ford Mustang Mach-E My hands-on impressions of the Mach-E myview

Ford Mustang Mach-E My hands-on impressions of the Mach-E myview2

On the top one each bar in the middle graph shows your average power consumption for the past 5 minutes (the amount of time for each bar was configurable).

Note the Wh/mi x100 graph (far left on top and 2nd from the right on the bottom). There is a bunch of info in this one graph (not sure I remember it all ! LOL). The blue bucket is how you have to drive to get to your destination based on current charge and last consumption. I believe the white tick marks on the sides was the average consumption since last full charge and the white line shows the instant consumption and moves up and down as you drive.

I hope that the Mach-E puts at least some of this on that dash display--there is a lot of available room on that display. Yeah I know some people want simple: Give them speed & range or empty/full and they're good but some geeks want all the info LOL.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Adding a little on to the above: The FFE's dash was the same as most highly optioned Ford's with a central analog dial speedometer flanked on either side with LCD panels. The LCD panels had many different screens you could scroll through with controls on the steering wheel. The right panel would show things like what station the radio was set to, distance to your next waypoint, phone data, etc.

The left, panel, however was pretty configurable and could show many things. I would alternate between the following two screens, both of which show where your electrons were going to:

On the top one each bar in the middle graph shows your average power consumption for the past 5 minutes (the amount of time for each bar was configurable).

Note the Wh/mi x100 graph (far left on top and 2nd from the right on the bottom). There is a bunch of info in this one graph (not sure I remember it all ! LOL). The blue bucket is how you have to drive to get to your destination based on current charge and last consumption. I believe the white tick marks on the sides was the average consumption since last full charge and the white line shows the instant consumption and moves up and down as you drive.

I hope that the Mach-E puts at least some of this on that dash display--there is a lot of available room on that display. Yeah I know some people want simple: Give them speed & range or empty/full and they're good but some geeks want all the info LOL.
I hope they do put stuff like that on the E's display. I have been wondering if they'll have a similar capability to abetterrouteplanner to plan a route with intentional long breaks for food and "ideal" charging level to get to the next waypoint to minimize the time at each stop.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I hope they do put stuff like that on the E's display. I have been wondering if they'll have a similar capability to abetterrouteplanner to plan a route with intentional long breaks for food and "ideal" charging level to get to the next waypoint to minimize the time at each stop.

I like how the range indicator is described; by putting key landmarks on it, you know if you can always get home.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
great interior video. All I look for is range and what I saw was 460km which looked to be either charged to 80% or 90%

If it is charged to 80% then max range is 342 miles for the extended range probably AWD version.

If it was at 90% then it will be 314 miles.
Sponsored